Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! Which wire to tap for starter...1970 elcamino

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Which wire to tap for starter...1970 elcamino

im having trouble getting my starter to act properly when wired up.....im using a wiring harness from speartech and have the starter solenoid wire hooked up to the ignition terminal on the factory fuse box.....when the key is keyed to accessories it gives power to the starter and starts the car but the starter will not disengage...(meaning it is still getting power)....i tried with a multimeter to get a wire that would only have power when the key is in the start position but not in the on (accessory position)...and can not find one.......

i know there is alot of you with these harnesses in chevelles and such.....what wire did you tap into for your starter........(color? location?)

sorry its getting cold here in indiana and im trying to get this thing started so i can move it inside before it snows.......

thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Default starter wire

Normally the starter wire is purple.You should find the original wire near the starter location.
You can also find it inside where it exits the ignition switch on the side of the steering column.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look down towards the base of the steering column (close to the firewall) and see if there is a half-moon shaped switch with a couple of big wires on it. One should be purple (I think the color has stayed the same all these years).

Hook the purple from the harness to that purple and you should be good to go. That should even keep your neutral safety switch in play if you are still using the column shifter.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is the purple wire. GM has kept it purple all these years.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Which wire to tap for starter...1970 elcamino