Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bsharpe's 71 Chevelle ls1/4l60e swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bsharpe's 71 Chevelle ls1/4l60e swap

I guess its time to start a thread to document my swap.

I bought a 1971 Chevelle back in August with the intention of building a pro-touring car. It took me about a year to find a good candidate.

I have a very strict budget and will be doing everything one step at a time. The first step is the ls1 4l60e swap. For the last couple months I have done all of my research and collected parts.

So far I have:
Complete 2000 5.7 ls1 engine
Matching 4l60e with approximately 40000 miles
Edelbrock Headers and engine mounts
Lh8 Hummer oil pan
94 Caprice gas tank
Corvette fpr
Dorman quick disconnect fittings
ford Taurus 2 speed fan

I pulled the original 307 engine and th350 trans during thanksgiving weekend. I did a quick test fit of everything. It looks like I have to massage the trans tunnel a little and raise the passenger side of the engine ¼” for tie rod clearance. Sorry i did not take any pictures.
I realize that the lh8 pan is not ideal but I felt it was my best option for fitment and budget reasons.

I am currently waiting on my wiring harness and computer which I ordered from chevythunder_ls1 on ebay.

I still need to get the racetronix kit for the caprice pump assembly.
I also need to figure out what I am going to do about fuel lines. I originally planned on using the stock 3/8 line but it has been cut and repaired and I do not trust it.
I also plan on using a Scangauge II until I can afford an aftermarket dash and gauges.

Here is a Rendering that my brother made for me. It probably wont look like this for a long time.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright.. Another 71 Chevelle !.. Sound like you got your plan in place.. but that LH8 pan is going to hang down way to far IMO.. I am using a CTS-V pan I have to scrape off road junk from time to time from hitting speed bumps.. I would suggest you use another pan or cut the pan down about 3"..

I also used a B-Body tank with the Racetronix wiring/pump.. good stuff there. The edelbrock header are a great fit.. (I am using the early BRP style mounts).

I replaced my hard fuel line with a SS 3/8"... but you might have to lift the body to get that done, mine was a frame off job.

You can check the rest of my Cardomain project with the link in my sig.. your doing many of the same swap items..

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 AM
TECH Resident

Nice, glad to see another Chevelle project under way.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the ascot blue color...If so, that's the color mine is going to be. With a blue vinyl top and a lq4/4l80e combo.....Had one like that back in the late 70's. Good job....
Rick
Old 12-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flywheel
Is that the ascot blue color...If so, that's the color mine is going to be. With a blue vinyl top and a lq4/4l80e combo.....Had one like that back in the late 70's. Good job....
Rick
Yes it is ascot blue. I am going to paint it a similar blue but change to a black vinyl top.

Originally Posted by bczee
Alright.. Another 71 Chevelle !.. Sound like you got your plan in place.. but that LH8 pan is going to hang down way to far IMO.. I am using a CTS-V pan I have to scrape off road junk from time to time from hitting speed bumps.. I would suggest you use another pan or cut the pan down about 3"..

I also used a B-Body tank with the Racetronix wiring/pump.. good stuff there. The edelbrock header are a great fit.. (I am using the early BRP style mounts).

I replaced my hard fuel line with a SS 3/8"... but you might have to lift the body to get that done, mine was a frame off job.

You can check the rest of my Cardomain project with the link in my sig.. your doing many of the same swap items..

Good luck and keep us posted.
I have been to your cardomain page and it has helped me a lot.
The hummer pan was only 160 shipped brand new with everything included.
I like the look of the new retro lsx pan but it is 425 shipped and doesnt even include a windage tray.
I do not plan on lowering the car as of now so hopefully i will be fine.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

I purchased a Scangauge II today for only 100$ thanks to bings 20% cash back.

I am still trying to figure out if i want to buy replacement steel fuel lines, which i would probably cut so i dont have to remove the body or if i want to use nhra approved rubber lines.

If anybody noticed from the rendering I will be converting the front end from a 71 to a 70.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Launching!

keep on it sounds like you got a good plan togather. the LH8 pan does hang down some mine is down about 1 1/2 inchs.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

I should be able to get a lot done the next couple of weeks. I will give a better update tomorrow with some pictures.

I saved some more money by purchasing the racetronix kit from someone on impallass forum

I have decided to use Russel's twist lok hose for my fuel line.

My computer and wiring harness arrived last week. Everything looks pretty good. It did not come with any wire loom and the directions are a little confusing but if it works I will be happy.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Nice to see another 71. I would say sell the pan and pick up a ctsv of a f body pan. I have 2 of each pan. I know I will only use to so I will most likely sell the other two. I am building a 71 chevelle 6.0l and a 69 el camino 5.3l carb set up.

Pm sent bsharpe.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Here are some pictures of the second test fit. I added spacers to lift the passenger side up about 3/4" for tie rod clearance. I then had to lift the driver side some for more alternator clearance.

The tie rods barely clear but once full weight is added to the font they should be fine. I also plan on replacing the suspension at one point with 70 tie rods which are slightly smaller.

The alternator hits the steering box but it should be fine after some grinding

The edelbrock headers fit perfectly.

The engine is at about 3 degrees now. I did have to use my bfh on the trans tunnel and i still need to get my trans cross-member modified.

Now I need to cut my trunk pan and install the caprice fuel tank. I am still waiting on the russell fuel line to finish the fuel system. I should have pics of my modified fuel pump soon as well.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

One suggestion.. on the fuel tank lines off of the sender.... just braze on some AN -6 fitting and not use the Russell QD.. not really needed to spend the money there and it is more secure anyway. That is what I would have done after using all of the QD'... I ended up doing that on my Fuel rail already. a lot cheaper.. and more secure. No one can see them down there in the 1st place.. LOL..

I would use them on the FPR...
Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

I installed the caprice fuel tank today. I will add pictures later. I barely had to cut the frame and I cut a hole in my perfect good trunk pan. I am using the original chevelle straps that I extended.

I am waiting on the fuel lines to finish the fuel system. I still need to pull and prep the engine and wire everything.

I still do not know what i am going to do about the power steering lines.

I also can not find any intake manifold bolts. If any body has any or knows where I can get some for a reasonable price please let me know.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

i finished setting up my fuel system. The fuel lines from my pump assembly were cracked, rusted and corroded. I used a couple of -6 an fittings instead of buying another assembly. Thank you stealth for the idea.

All the fittings i used

Corvette fpr with dorman fittings

Racetronix kit

fuel line and hose clamps

caprice tank

I will get some pictures of everything installed tomorrow
Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bsharpe, You might want to also check the electrical bulkhead connector (Yellow), Mine gave me problem of cutting out a few times. After it quit one time, I open up the trunk access panel, pulled the unit out and found that the connector on the inside was melted and chared !..

I guess the looseness of the connector and/or the higher amount of current it was drawing caused the problem and over heating of the connector or some electrical arcing of the connector to cause the heat to melt it.

I did a quick road side fix by removing the connector, using a gromet and a lot of RVT and wired the pump up striaght without that bulk head connector..

one of these days I will fix it some better electrical bulk head connector.. but just wanted to guys you a heads up now to maybe fix or modify that bult head connector now while you still have it out.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advise. I actually planned on buying the racetronix kit with a new bulkhead connector to help prevent that problem but I ended up buying the kit used without it. I will keep that in mind.

Here are some more pictures of the tank and fpr installed.

The more I look at the lh8 pan and edelbrock headers installed, I worry less about the oil pan clearance and more about the headers. The Headers hang a hair lower then the oil pan and they are farther back. Has anybody had problems with their headers hitting speed bumps.

I still can not find intake bolts for a reasonable price.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

What intake manifold are you planning on going with? I'm running the new Edelbrock pro flo xt, and I had to do a bunch of searching just to find the right size bolts. ARP happened to make the size I needed, and I got em from summit for like $15.

Are you running a stock power steering box? Would you mind posting a picture of your accessories? I'm suffering alot of clearance issues with my accessories (LQ4) and pictures of other peoples solutions will really help.

Great project! The perfect Chevelle in my mind has always been the beautiful front of a 70 with the sexy *** of a 71! Good luck man, its gonna be awesome!
Old 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah... I have a few flatten spots on my Edelbrock headers and have scraped Asphalt from both my pan and headers due to speed bump.. but again, my Chevelle is lower some.
I have considered making a front skip plate extending from the X-Member to cover some of the pan.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Teching In

looks like your off to a good start on your car! I have just started putting an LS1 in my 69, but im at a stand still at the moment because im trying to figure out what kind of oil pan to use.
How well does the LH8 pan clear the crossmember, and how much space does it give you at the firewall?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 68Hybrid
What intake manifold are you planning on going with? I'm running the new Edelbrock pro flo xt, and I had to do a bunch of searching just to find the right size bolts. ARP happened to make the size I needed, and I got em from summit for like $15.

Are you running a stock power steering box? Would you mind posting a picture of your accessories? I'm suffering alot of clearance issues with my accessories (LQ4) and pictures of other peoples solutions will really help.

Great project! The perfect Chevelle in my mind has always been the beautiful front of a 70 with the sexy *** of a 71! Good luck man, its gonna be awesome!
I am using a stock ls1 intake now, and actually plan on upgrading to the pro flo in the future.

I am using the fbody accessories so my clearance and setup is completely different then your truck stuff.

I am glad others like the 70.5. I look forward to seeing peoples reactions when it is done. Hopefully, it wont be seen as a ugly mutt.

Originally Posted by bczee
Yeah... I have a few flatten spots on my Edelbrock headers and have scraped Asphalt from both my pan and headers due to speed bump.. but again, my Chevelle is lower some.
I have considered making a front skip plate extending from the X-Member to cover some of the pan.
I plan to make a skip plate to protect everything as well. I was just surprised to see how low the headers were, considering everyone constantly complains about the lh8 pan clearance, when the headers clearance is worse.

Originally Posted by brax 69 chevelle
looks like your off to a good start on your car! I have just started putting an LS1 in my 69, but im at a stand still at the moment because im trying to figure out what kind of oil pan to use.
How well does the LH8 pan clear the crossmember, and how much space does it give you at the firewall?
The edelbrock plates leave the engine in the stock position which is pretty far forward. The pan clears the crossmember but hangs very low. Take a look at the JZ MotorWorks pan (retrolsx). It should work perfectly in the chevelles.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have not done anything in the last 2 weeks except put the car under the cover at the bottom of the driveway.

i did put the front clip on to try and decided where i want to put some things.
Here are some pictures

I tried really hard to prepare but i needed to wait and go get more parts.

I ordered intake bolts from enginepartsplus.com. They have good prices and a lot of ls stuff but require a $50 minimum order and the ordering process can take a while as they are not technologically up to date.

I am also going to get a jeep grand Cherokee steering box so i can use the stock power steering line which i have to find as well.

I have to finish the following things before i can start it.
-do the interior part of the wiring harness
-get and install radiator hoses
-install jeep steering box and power steering lines(hopefully the alternator clearance is the same)
-Buy and install intake (i think i am going to buy a kit for a gto or truck and make it work)
-buy and fill with fluids

I will try and finish things up next weekend.

I am having trouble sticking to my initial budget and plan. I really want to upgrade the brakes and suspension and clean up the chassis. while it would be easy.

Quick Reply: Bsharpe's 71 Chevelle ls1/4l60e swap