Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcv setup with backwarks intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcv setup with backwarks intake

ok i am building a yj rock crawler i have turned the intake around backwards just ran out of room in front of the motor for a filter the question is how does everyone run the pcv setup and pics would be great
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't really thought about it. .I know I have flipped my fuel rail 180 on my Chevelle and that many other have swapped the intake 180 also.. But for your PCV system, how about swapping Valve Cover sides ?.. at lease that way you have fresh air tube on the correct side and the PCV port would also match up being on the correct side. But why not go to a LS2 PCV/Lifter Valley cover for the PCV system... It is a better PCV system and just run a single hose as you need it and do away with the old PCV hoses.. ?

Just a thought.. let us know what you end up with.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

any one else i thought about flipping the valve covers but i dont know if i would have enough room for the oil fill it maybe to close to the firewall
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

For a car that will see a lot of unusual attitudes like a rock crawler, I'd run the PCV to a catch can. I turned my intake backwards and that's what I did, It is about the size of a pop can with a drain on the bottom and stuffed full of steel wool. There is a small K&N filter on the top of it. It sure keeps the intake tract alot cleaner too. If you are interested I can take some photos for you.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dpd069
For a car that will see a lot of unusual attitudes like a rock crawler, I'd run the PCV to a catch can. I turned my intake backwards and that's what I did, It is about the size of a pop can with a drain on the bottom and stuffed full of steel wool. There is a small K&N filter on the top of it. It sure keeps the intake tract alot cleaner too. If you are interested I can take some photos for you.
Photos please.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

that sounds good i would like to see them also where did you get the catch can at thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

It is a little dirty from the last trip, but the first shot is the K&N small filter sticking out of the turtle deck at the back of the car.

[IMG] [/IMG]

The next image is of the bottle. I don't remember exactly what I made it from but I think I cut up an old junkyard receiver/dryer from an ac system and welded bosses on it. The boss that vents the crankcase is up about 2/3 of the way up the can. There is a boss welded to the bottom with a male fitting with a cap so the catch can can be drained.

[IMG] [/IMG]

The last image is where I modified the port on the LS1 valve cover to accept a AN-6 bulkhead fitting. It is plumbed with 3/8" aluminum tube.

[IMG] [/IMG]

The can is plumbed so that vapors from both side of the engine are collected, go to a 't' and then on to the catch can. No PCV because there is a turbo on it

Hope this helps
Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

I pulled up the pictures of the fab of the catch can, and I made it from steel out of an old propane tank that I shortened
Old 12-07-2009, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

This is a LS1 with the intake turned backwards. I took the picture standing on the roof of the car looking down just before I tore it apart for powder coat. The catch can would be mounted about a foot in front and above the motor about the same distance.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

ok i just flipped the valve covers around on the motor and the oil fill cap is tight, it is on the fire wall but it will be ok thanks for the info
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about getting someone to TIG a new oil filler tube/cap somewhere else on the valve cover.. Just to make things easier.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
How about getting someone to TIG a new oil filler tube/cap somewhere else on the valve cover.. Just to make things easier.
i thought about that but its not that bad so i will just leave it unless it gets on my nerves later
Old 12-23-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to flip the valve covers around. When I turned my intake around I needed to keep the filler in the stock location for a similar reason. All you have to do is re-arrange the hoses; it's really pretty simple unless you are retaining the evap system in which case flipping the valve covers is the best solution.

Andy1

Quick Reply: pcv setup with backwarks intake