Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 Thunderbird Gen III Budget Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by seawalkersee
No they don't. ONLY THE SC, (according to the lincoln guy above) the LSC, and the supercharged XR7 have lockers in them.

As far as the mounts, I have run out of time. I am still working as hard as I can to get a lot of stuff done, I am just too slow. When I build some (I need to get some more of the braces) I will throw down at least as many sets for which I have the metal.

SWS
Hahahaha!!! Actually you are both wrong and yet both right. I found a chart that lists axle codes and tells me what gear is in the car without getting under it and getting dirty. I check the body tag and know immediately if I need to investigate further.

The aluminum LSC would be the first choice but I can't seem to find one in a yard lately - no rush.
V8 cars with the sport (big brakes) option sometimes have lockers.
V6 SC cars always have lockers but 5 speed cars have highway gears.

As of yesterday there were probably 10 - 12 MN12 cars in the yard off Truman with two being anniversary models and a couple special editions. Good news is you are merely a set of dirty clothes and a 15mm socket wrench away from a bunch of those bars you need. Too bad it's cold.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am just going on my own personal experiences. they don't all have them, but when i had my '96 mark VIII years ago (non LSC) i used a centre section from a '94 t-bird LX, with a 4.6, which had a 3.27 and a trac loc factory installed. my current '97 LX also has one. on the door sticker, if it says "E" or "XE" under "axle", it's a 3.27 trac loc.
while you're at it, might as well take the axles too, they're thicker than those used on the 3.8 cars. if you find an SC, the 5 speed cars have the strongest axles of all the MN12's.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TROYCO
i am just going on my own personal experiences. they don't all have them, but when i had my '96 mark VIII years ago (non LSC) i used a centre section from a '94 t-bird LX, with a 4.6, which had a 3.27 and a trac loc factory installed. my current '97 LX also has one. on the door sticker, if it says "E" or "XE" under "axle", it's a 3.27 trac loc.
while you're at it, might as well take the axles too, they're thicker than those used on the 3.8 cars. if you find an SC, the 5 speed cars have the strongest axles of all the MN12's.
Interesting. Seems there was all kinds of weird stuff going on. I wondered about the axle thing because there are two different part numbers but the parts jockeys couldn't tell me why. Short of taking a set of mics to the breakers yard I really had no idea about axles. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Launching!

The 89 SC had what was refered to as the fat shafts. The problem with them breaking is when you get wheel hop. Then you break them. I had the....Wait, yard off of Truman? You are in KC? Why did you not say this earlier?

SWS
Old 12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

....Wait, yard off of Truman? You are in KC? Why did you not say this earlier?
Ummmm, yeah, your in KC????
Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

The 89 SC had what was refered to as the fat shafts. The problem with them breaking is when you get wheel hop. Then you break them. I had the....Wait, yard off of Truman? You are in KC? Why did you not say this earlier?

SWS
Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Ummmm, yeah, your in KC????
Yes, I'm in KC. Hahahahaha! Sorry, I thought that was clear when you (SWS) asked to see the car and I said "that can be arranged." I don't know WHERE in KC you are but I'm sure when the weather is a bit better we will run into each other at a show somewhere. Right now the car is functional but not "pretty" under hood since it got cold and I'm using it as my daily. When weather gets above 50 on a consistent basis I'll hit my poorly heated shop and fix all the details that bug me. I wwould like to see this Nova and other projects you cats have and I'm always up to meeting other hot rod types and swapping parts, ideas and stories.

Check your PM's
Old 12-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I will tell you that his Nova is nice. I will leave the details to him, but you will laugh when you see his wagon....not to mention the one in his avatar.

SWS
Old 12-21-2009, 04:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build.

I had a 96 4.6LX. Somehow was able to squeeze low 14's out of it full weight, street tires, and 91 octane with only cams and bolt ons.

As far as the trac lock goes, yes some 4.6 liter tbirds had them. Another way to go is using a cobra traction lock. Ford Racing actually used to sell the whole cobra carrier for extremely cheap.I believe i paid under $150 for mine, comes assembled. If your interested in going the Ford Racing route I can try to dig up an old receipt to get you a part number. Let me know.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Launching!

That looks good. As far as the cobra stuff, I think the price has at least doubled on that. I remember my buddy getting one for cheap and ended up selling it a year later for $350ish.

SWS
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
Nice build.

Thanks for the compliment. Your car is nice too, I love the simplicity. What wheels are those? That fits my stealth idea of not being too flashy and looking like they belong on the car from the factory. I wanted to do the hub swap / brake upgrade along with a host of other details but ran out of time.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

What wheels are those?
those look like stock mustang wheels.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
those look like stock mustang wheels.
I thought that but the rears are staggered... A neighbor has an 02 Mustang GT with similar wheels but his factory set wasn't staggered. He purchased two for the rear that are wider and put drag radials on them. I'll have to wait for spring as we don't talk much since the weather has turned to crap.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I'll say they are aftermarket "Bullitt" rims since the rears are dished. You have to do a mustang swap with the hubs. You can break down and get new brakes too, or you can drill your stock rotors to fit the pattern.

SWS
Old 01-03-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Those are actually not mustang wheels. The Tbirds have a different bolt pattern. I don't remember the offset on those wheels but they were 18x10 in the rear 18x9 in the front. Yes you can swap the hubs between mustangs and tbirds to change bolt patterns. Front brake components are also interchangeable. If you look closely at the pictures i posted of my EX car you can see that I installed 13" cobra rotors and calipers (they are a direct swap short of banjo bolts). I also highly recommend doing the cobra brake swap as the stock tbird brakes are complete crap.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

here is a link to the ford racing traction lock I used. It is a direct swap as tbirds have 28 spline shafts (same as 99 cobras), just pick a 8.8 ratio, and get the FRPP gear install kit and your ready to go.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...n/?prefilter=0
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Yes you can swap the hubs between mustangs and tbirds to change bolt patterns. Front brake components are also interchangeable. If you look closely at the pictures i posted of my EX car you can see that I installed 13" cobra rotors and calipers (they are a direct swap short of banjo bolts). I also highly recommend doing the cobra brake swap as the stock tbird brakes are complete crap.
I knew about the hubs and brakes, I think that is one of the most disappointing things about those cars. I merely upgraded to Mark VIII brakes until the cash flow was a bit higher and I found a set of properly sized wheels I liked so the brakes would clear. Why have the Ranger and Mustang with a "normal" bolt circle while the bird, cougar and Mark VIII share the same front hubs but have the small bolt circle - and are heavier cars? I'm doing the hub swap for two reasons, I have two other cars with the same bolt circle and the bird is the odd man out and no one makes wheels of any selection in the factory bolt circle.

here is a link to the ford racing traction lock I used. It is a direct swap as tbirds have 28 spline shafts (same as 99 cobras), just pick a 8.8 ratio, and get the FRPP gear install kit and your ready to go.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...n/?prefilter=0
Thanks for the diff info. I thought I was going to have to spend $400+ on that bloody thing new. That way I could get my aluminum Mark VIII center, throw that in with the gear I want and on down the road!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

so how much did your budget build come out in the end?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Nice swap !!! Looks factory.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kilrcady
so how much did your budget build come out in the end?
I spent around $2000 for everything. I haven't sold or traded off any of the unused parts from this project and if I do that it will cut my costs even further.

I fabricated and installed everything myself and only bought the bare minimum of what I needed. Working within such a tight budget I had to get creative on lots of things and take time to search out deals. It also means the tear down process had to go as if I was putting the original engine back and my donor engine needed to be as complete as possible since I had no idea what I might need.

This summer I should be able to put a bit more cash in the car and upgrade the exhaust to true duals and some other performance enhancements.

Originally Posted by rajcam79
Nice swap !!! Looks factory.
Thanks, that was the goal. Aside from the wheels there are no external cues letting you know the car is anything different than stock.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Okay few questions.
Water Pump Outlet - Does it hit the TB?
Accesories Can you take closer pics ? Where is PWR Steering pump ?
Can you make that bracket without locating an AC compressor there? Or won't it work?
Explain the GM to Ford Power steering issue. I'm trying to figure how to connect the rack on my 91 Notch.

Quick Reply: 1997 Thunderbird Gen III Budget Engine Swap