Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion woes...car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Conversion woes...car won't start.

Hi guys. I'm going crazy with my conversion and I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm looking for any insight you guys may have. I know this is long, but I'm trying to give the most information possible upfront.

This is what I've got: Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 with 2007 Gen III Vortec 5.3L (FlexFuel) engine pulled from a Silverado. I'm using an engine, PCM, DBW setup with TAC module with matching numbers from the same vehicle. NEW crank sensor, NEW cam sensor, NEW spark plugs, NEW fuel injectors.

The engine and PCM was originally used with a 4L60E transmission. I removed all of the wiring for the 4L60E from the PCM. I'm running a Toyota 5-speed tranny.

These are the things I've checked:
Compression - good on 4 cylinders (~150). didn't check the others yet since engine is practically brand new. I may need to go back and do this later.
Fuel - Getting 58psi at the fuel rail during cranking.
Spark - I've removed the plugs and touched them to the exhaust manifold during cranking and they are firing.

Symptoms: The truck will fire immediately upon cranking and then stop firing. If I hold the key in the crank position, I start to smell fuel. My spark plugs have been getting black on the tips and I have to clean them off periodically. (This means to me that I'm getting fuel and some spark at the plug, I think.)
I have looked over the wiring that I did and all of the pink wires are wired to IGN+ and have +12V during ignition and during cranking.

I get no codes other than my post-cat O2 sensors are not working. This is because my exhaust hasn't been built yet, so those O2 sensors are not plugged in.
HPTuners says that I'm getting about 150rpm during cranking and the transmission is in D2 (or D4 at times).
VATS is set to NONE on HPTuners.

Some issues that may be of concern:
Can I use a PCM created for a 4L60E transmission on my 5-speed setup?
Do I need the SARVC? It's currently wired up, but it doesn't flag any errors in HPtuners, so I've left it alone.
Why does HPtuners say my transmission is in D2 (or D4)? Do I have to wire up the signals to trick the PCM into thinking it is in Park or Neutral in order to run the engine? Or should I just leave these wires unconnected? Or can I just set HPTuners to "No Error" for these codes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by superdylan; 12-07-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Here's some old pics of my truck just to show you what I'm doing!
Attached Thumbnails Conversion woes...car won't start.-img_5044.jpg   Conversion woes...car won't start.-img_1466.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

i would like to know about this also? i am doing a swap currently and this might be an issue for me also

Quick Reply: Conversion woes...car won't start.