Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a follow up question. It may be a moot point, but I'd like clarification. The YL/RD starter wire coming from the Jeep ignition switch that currently goes directly to the starter relay is heavier gauge (12 or so) while the PNP switch's wires are much thinner (18 or 20). Will this negatively affect the PNP switch or anything else in the circuit?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by t2true
Just a follow up question. It may be a moot point, but I'd like clarification. The YL/RD starter wire coming from the Jeep ignition switch that currently goes directly to the starter relay is heavier gauge (12 or so) while the PNP switch's wires are much thinner (18 or 20). Will this negatively affect the PNP switch or anything else in the circuit?
The NSS uses smaller gauge wires because its only controlling the starter relay. The relay will handle the load and will use the larger wires.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The NSS uses smaller gauge wires because its only controlling the starter relay. The relay will handle the load and will use the larger wires.
Excellent! Thanks.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread! I'm in a bit of a different situation. I have a 4L80e and a shifter that has it's own neutral safety switch built in. I really only need the back-up light function on my switch. Can anyone tell me how I would need to wire it?? Thanks!!
Old 09-24-2020, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TreDawg
This is a great thread! I'm in a bit of a different situation. I have a 4L80e and a shifter that has it's own neutral safety switch built in. I really only need the back-up light function on my switch. Can anyone tell me how I would need to wire it?? Thanks!!
What year is your 4l80? There are two different styles of NSS's and the pin outs are different between them. You will either have a switch with one big plug on it, or two smaller plugs.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Teching In

My trans is a 2004 4L80e. I heard that I could use either switch. Is that correct?
Old 09-24-2020, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

My trans is a 2004 4L80e. I heard that I could use either switch. Is that correct?
Yes, you can use either switch, but to be able to tell you how to wire it I would need to know which switch you are using.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Yes, you can use either switch, but to be able to tell you how to wire it I would need to know which switch you are using.
I'm going to use the one with two connectors.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:14 PM
Teching In

I am still working on the PNP/NSS (not sure the correct acronym).

Some background: My engine, transmission, and wiring harness are from a 2003 Tahoe 4WD. When I was re-building the wiring harness (a couple years ago) from the donor, I had no idea what needed to be done with the wires coming from the PNP. So, I connected them to a plug, hoping to figure it out "later." Now that it's later, I toned out the PNP pins with the plug pins and found that PNP pins E and C terminate to the same plug pin. So, now I need to trace the wires back to the PNP switch to determine why/where they're joined together. Not so easy since I also had to replace the PNP connector at the transmission; all of its wires are the same color (gray). I connected them to the wiring harness.

Now to the point: From this thread, I read that pin E's wire color should be PL/WT. I cannot find that color wire coming from the PNP. Is it possible that the wire colors are different for different years? Could pin E be pink? If so, that would explain why both pins E and C are joined. If it is pink, I have no idea how I'm going to find that wire in the harness.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I am still working on the PNP/NSS (not sure the correct acronym).

Some background: My engine, transmission, and wiring harness are from a 2003 Tahoe 4WD. When I was re-building the wiring harness (a couple years ago) from the donor, I had no idea what needed to be done with the wires coming from the PNP. So, I connected them to a plug, hoping to figure it out "later." Now that it's later, I toned out the PNP pins with the plug pins and found that PNP pins E and C terminate to the same plug pin. So, now I need to trace the wires back to the PNP switch to determine why/where they're joined together. Not so easy since I also had to replace the PNP connector at the transmission; all of its wires are the same color (gray). I connected them to the wiring harness.

Now to the point: From this thread, I read that pin E's wire color should be PL/WT. I cannot find that color wire coming from the PNP. Is it possible that the wire colors are different for different years? Could pin E be pink? If so, that would explain why both pins E and C are joined. If it is pink, I have no idea how I'm going to find that wire in the harness.
Pins E and C are both pink. C is the ignition power for the back up lights and E comes from the ignition switch that is hot in the 'crank' position. It controls the starter relay.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Pins E and C are both pink. C is the ignition power for the back up lights and E comes from the ignition switch that is hot in the 'crank' position. It controls the starter relay.
Thanks for the feedback. That explains why they are both connected to the same plug pin. Now, somehow, I need to find that one pink wire in the wiring harness.
I do wonder, however, why an earlier post in this thread shows pin E being PL/WT. I spent a long time looking for that color wire.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:43 AM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do wonder, however, why an earlier post in this thread shows pin E being PL/WT. I spent a long time looking for that color wire.
GM changed the wire color on various models and through the years, and then with all the different diagrams floating around online it can get confusing, which is why we should always trace the pin location on trans switches, and on the PCMs, and think of the color as a secondary indicator.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:51 PM
Teching In

I only need the switch for the backup light function. I have the older two-connector switch. Can anyone tell me what I would need to connect to make it work for that only? Thanks again!
Old 12-04-2020, 10:15 PM
Teching In

I only need the switch for the backup light function. I have the older two-connector switch. Can anyone tell me what I would need to connect to make it work for that only? Thanks again!
Pic on the right... The C2 7 pin connector. Pin C and Pin F are the ones you want.

Supply 12V to Pin C.

When you are in reverse, Pin F will connect with Pin C and have that 12V , run that to your backup lights.

Attachment 713433
The following users liked this post:
t2true (12-08-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Thank you!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lumen8
Pic on the right... The C2 7 pin connector. Pin C and Pin F are the ones you want.

Supply 12V to Pin C.

When you are in reverse, Pin F will connect with Pin C and have that 12V , run that to your backup lights.

Thank you! No ground is needed?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

If you're just using the NSS for the back up lights, then no, no ground is needed at the switch, it is just a switch in the back up light circuit, the ground for the circuit will be where the back up lights are grounded at the light socket itsself which is usually grounded to the body.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:19 AM
Teching In

^ Yep as mentioned above, no ground needed.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:15 AM
Teching In

Hello colleagues, I wanted to inform that I am new and in advance I apologize if I violate a rule in the group at the time of posting again in this thread.

The topic I charge is the following:
I have a silverado 2003 4L60E to which the engine was changed. The problem is that when I wanted to start, the start does not work, after an exhaustive search for the problem, I realized that the gear position indicator on the board does not appear, then, I checked the neutral switch and I was not convinced how I looked at it, so I changed it but the problem continues.

The problem in short is as follows:

PRND321 indicator line does not appear, as if the lever is moved (but it is not)

No start in the engine

Lights stay on headlights and cluster,

When starting the engine, the cluster lights turn off.

Hopefully someone can guide me to find this problem, I have 5 days in it and I can not work for lack of truck

I already checked lands, connectors, sensors and apparently everything is in order but it is obvious that no, as I said before I already put the new neutral switch and I am in the same, I would like to find a way to make bridges between cables to try to start the truck, and then make the revisions of possible damaged cables.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I want to reference one of the pictures from above. Here it is again.

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs-oxcp4eq.gif

Can someone clarify what the PCM does with the PRDN inputs that it receives from the 4 pin connector? In other words, are there certain strategies that are implemented when the shifter is in the various PRDN positions?

Andrew

Quick Reply: Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs