Sponsored by:

New LSA - Noise in gear - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New LSA - Noise in gear - Help!

Hi All,

I have an LSA crate engine in my ‘72 Chevelle. It’s got a Brian Tooley Stage II cam/upgraded springs/pushrods, 5% ATI pulley (like 1lb boost extra I figure), Holley/Hooker Long tubes/exhaust, Straub trunion upgrade and 4L80E trans (Speartech E38 harness for the setup).

Anyway, fired it for the first time recently, good oil pressure (checked under valve covers too, it’s oiling and all is well there), idles fine (got a very basic base tune from Mike Norris to start with).

Anyway, in park (either at idle or revving engine) there’s no noise (other than exhaust, typical valvetrain noise, etc). But, when I put it in gear (reverse or drive) and start to drive (low speed as I haven’t gotten it fully into the road yet), I get a rattling/squeaking noise. It’s not detonation (not marbles in can sound, I know that sound) and I’ve checked the exhaust clamps, torque converter bolts, header bolts and darn near all other lines/accessories on the car, still does it (makes the noise).

I’ve gone as far as taking each drive belt off and run the car with a light load (in gear), same noise (rules out supercharger, power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor and all belts/pulleys/tensioners, etc).

Whatcha think? It’s driving me crazy. My buddy hopes it’s not internal (he’s hearing it when outside the car, me lightly revving it with foot on brake in gear, from both sides, middle area of engine from what he can tell).
Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalChevelle
Hi All,

I have an LSA crate engine in my ‘72 Chevelle. It’s got a Brian Tooley Stage II cam/upgraded springs/pushrods, 5% ATI pulley (like 1lb boost extra I figure), Holley/Hooker Long tubes/exhaust, Straub trunion upgrade and 4L80E trans (Speartech E38 harness for the setup).

Anyway, fired it for the first time recently, good oil pressure (checked under valve covers too, it’s oiling and all is well there), idles fine (got a very basic base tune from Mike Norris to start with).

Anyway, in park (either at idle or revving engine) there’s no noise (other than exhaust, typical valvetrain noise, etc). But, when I put it in gear (reverse or drive) and start to drive (low speed as I haven’t gotten it fully into the road yet), I get a rattling/squeaking noise. It’s not detonation (not marbles in can sound, I know that sound) and I’ve checked the exhaust clamps, torque converter bolts, header bolts and darn near all other lines/accessories on the car, still does it (makes the noise).

I’ve gone as far as taking each drive belt off and run the car with a light load (in gear), same noise (rules out supercharger, power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor and all belts/pulleys/tensioners, etc).

Whatcha think? It’s driving me crazy. My buddy hopes it’s not internal (he’s hearing it when outside the car, me lightly revving it with foot on brake in gear, from both sides, middle area of engine from what he can tell).
What is the state of your tranny? New, rebuilt, lotsa miles, fresh performance build, almost trashed???
Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Got it with 8,000 miles on it from an ‘09 Chevy Van. Took it to a trans shop and guy put in a shift kit and went over it lightly. He put it in his test vehicle (guy has an old Chevy Caprice that he can hook just about any trans to to test it). Drove fine, shifted fairly firm (for my liking), but I have a little looser billet converter in it (that “should” lighten to shift firmness a tad, plus being able to adjust the trans via the TCU, that’s later down the line though). From the looks of the trans the shop guy said it appeared in excellent condition (but he didn’t tear the trans down all the way other than to install shift kit and do cursory view of it).
Old 03-27-2018, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check trans linkage first. Best bet is to get a video of it. Does it match engine rpm when you rev?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr.Bu
I would check trans linkage first. Best bet is to get a video of it. Does it match engine rpm when you rev?
I’ll try to get a good audio clip of it in the AM and post it.

Yes, matches rpm (like it mentioned only in gear). It’s hard to explain the noise (like a tapping/chatter type sound, lol best I can describe it at this point). Engine sounds great at idle and when revved moderately (still fresh, not going crazy on it yet) in park.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Are you sure there isn't anything hitting, Like the trans hitting the floor/headers hitting the frame and so on. I would try putting the car up on jack stands with the rear end supported and see if it still makes the noise.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Are you sure there isn't anything hitting, Like the trans hitting the floor/headers hitting the frame and so on. I would try putting the car up on jack stands with the rear end supported and see if it still makes the noise.
I’m going to go over trans, trans mount, headers again tomorrow. Buddy has a lift and we plan to put it in the air and shift into each gear (carefully, lol!) listening for anything unusual there too.

I know there are a bunch of possibilities and honestly I’m praying it’s trans/exhaust related. Internal engine (on a new crate motor) is not what I’m looking to deal with at this point (been a LONG time putting this setup in my car, couple years to be exact due to time constraints, $$, etc, etc).

She needs to be driven!!
Attached Thumbnails New LSA - Noise in gear - Help!-22bacaea-2736-4267-a03d-0176c6870380.jpeg  
Old 03-27-2018, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

2 Post or 4-post? 2 post can be dangerous with a running car on them. I once saw first hand what happens when a car fall off of them.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
2 Post or 4-post? 2 post can be dangerous with a running car on them. I once saw first hand what happens when a car fall off of them.
4 post
Old 03-27-2018, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalChevelle
Hey, if you don't have an automotive stethoscope, I highly recommend that you get one - you might be surprised at how well it allows you to confirm whether or not a noise is coming from a particular component, especially in the FEAD area, where the noises from the different pulleys all combine.

To me, that seems like an easy, inexpensive way to help zero in on the issue you're having. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have your transmission guy give a listen to it.

Really hard to diagnosis noises over the internet.

I chased an occasional knocking sound in my truck for years. Turned out being an AC part that wasn't bolted down.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Going to pull converter dust cover and give good listen in that area today as well. Could be in that area too (never know.....).
Old 03-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Well, can't post up an audio clip because I can't hear the noise any longer (neither can my buddy who was outside the car when I test drove it briefly).

We checked the converter bolts, flexplate, starter, header bolts and exhaust clamps (again), trans crossmember, trans linkage, driveshaft bolts, etc, etc.

I ended up adding another 1.5 quarts of fluid (reads just into the "hot" hash mark area now on the trans dipstick w/ engine running). Noise is gone. Car has a moderate stall billet converter and I guess it wasn't getting enough fluid causing noise
Old 03-29-2018, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Did you put some fluid in the converter before installing it ???

Ken
Old 03-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Did you put some fluid in the converter before installing it ???

Ken
I did. Although, not a whole bunch (from what I recall, it was some time ago, build has taken some time and trans went in last year). Maybe 1 or 2 quarts (leaning toward 1.5 quarts). I understand you fill it pretty good (I probably didn’t put enough in). Trans has taken 11 quarts so far (shows just into hot hash mark when running now).