Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One wire classic alternator

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default One wire classic alternator

I'm running a carbureted LQ4 using the stock truck w/p, idler and crankshaft pulley. I have a powermaster one wire alternator I ran on my SBC and BBC setups in my car before. I was thinking about making my own bracket and putting a serpentine pulley on it. Where can I find a pulley to replace the stock v-belt pulley I had before, and is there anything I'm not thinking about that wont make this work? This is a very low budget build and my other alternative is to grab a bracket and alternator from the junkyard.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why not call the people that made the alternator? Give Powermaster a call, they have the serpentine pulleys and they are great to deal with.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Powemaster first, but you could always try your local part store as well. I remember swapping pulleys for customers all the time when I used to work for Advance. There may be one that's kicking around the back room unused.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a walk through a pick and pull and grab a pulley from another alternator that has the same sized shaft.

I put a Denso alternator on mine because it was so much smaller than the GM ones. The one that had the lugs where I wanted it had a 3 or 4 rib pulley. I found a second alternator with the correct 5 rib pulley and grabbed that.

The parts can be mixed and matched. actually most pick and pulls have pallets full of core alternators near the entrance. You could probably find one in there with minimal walking.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I will pull the old pulley off, measure the shaft with a caliper and go junk yard hunting. I imagine the shaft is some sort of a standard diameter, but I can't seem to find any concrete info on it.

Quick Reply: One wire classic alternator