Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 porsche 996 ls1 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you lucked out on that rear seat mess. That wiring harness looks like it almost bit the dust as well. Subscribing to a very interesting thread.

Also, how do you plan on doing the cooling system? I'm thinking that Porsche used a remote mount front radiator for that year. Going to keep that setup intact? Also, were the intercoolers mounted up front or in the back?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rear seat area is not that bad if you ask me , it looks alot worse than it really is . the harness in the car is actually intact , i little brown from the soot and melted foam but not damaged from the fire. the only damage to it is at the engine end where the large round connectors are and its only minimal there,,,, not that it matters since i will be using only a few of these.one more thing, i noticed that porsche does not use any wire loom or sheathing around their wires , just a string or thin strap wraped loosely around the wires to bundel them.

as for cooling , i'm planning on retaining the stock cooling system ( 3 radiators up front ) and see how it holds up ( don't think they will give me a problem) , and if they do i can always figure out how to put bigger ones

the intercoolers are mounted in the bottom rear corners of the car (you can see one of them in the 1st and 4th pictures) , they get fresh air from the holes in the fender behind the doors. and yes ,,,, they will be used later down the road

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 02-19-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty sweet build! Keep us updated
Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Awesome swap!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's crazy but awesome! Be careful driving when you're all done, I'm guessing the rear end could get pretty wild if you drive hard.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Cant wait to see the finished product, good luck with it
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 PM
8 Second Club

to tell you the truth i'm not that worried about the rear end partying all over the place , porsche engineers have been slowly but surely eliminating the wild oversteer that these cars were known for since they first came out ; on the current 997 models the handling is nutural and not "oversteerish" ( i know cause i drove one around a race track ). so i have faith that this car will handle properly ( not that the new engine combo will not change some of the cars handeling charachterstics )

any how , back to the updates

i think i scored a stock muffler for the car , and i also got a set of sway bars for it too ( i'm missing the rear one ) , and man are they dinky !

Name:  100_1881.jpg
Views: 3053
Size:  109.1 KB

i also finally decided on going with an ls3 accessory drive system ( G8 or holden style ) for ease of replacement and "shalowness"

i'm also contemplating on going with an Fbody oil pan instead of the GTO one i have now , cause the use of the fbody pan allows me to lower the engine a bit more . only problem is that it will have the sump in the back of the engine ( towards the front of the car ), which might cause oil starvation issues during hard launches. i'll be researching it some more.

anyhow , i started the mocking up process by first hanging the plastic engine with bungee cords in roughly the location i think the engine will be ( need to get proper tranny measurement or get the real thing in there)

i started with the idea of running two "L" bars that would attatch the short leg of the L to the original porsche engine mounts ( or to their location) in the rear corners of the engine compartment , and the long leg of the L would be welded to the cross member (located between engine and trans ). the idea was to have it angled so that it clears the alternator and A/C compressor .

i was planning on using holden style pedestals and mounts ( just like on vette's) and have them sit on the long leg of the "L" :

Name:  100_1893.jpg
Views: 3031
Size:  137.1 KB

Name:  100_1895.jpg
Views: 3045
Size:  143.1 KB

but after messing with it for some time i decided to it was not going to work , first off the pedestals are not the same ( one is longer than the other ) from side to side:

(check out how the mounts are offset in the pics above , and the comparison below

Name:  100_1899.jpg
Views: 3033
Size:  141.6 KB

second , they took too much space. when you compare them to ford or F-body mounts these stick too far out . here is how a ford mount looks :

Name:  100_1900.jpg
Views: 3026
Size:  125.0 KB

Name:  100_1901.jpg
Views: 3036
Size:  198.5 KB

another thing i noticed after placing the l bar on the real engine is that it would not work cause the pipe would hit the compressor ( you have to see it to understand how it happenes)

so to make it work i now have to make new pipe that has two bends in it , kinda like this : (imagine another bend where my hand is )

Name:  100_1903.jpg
Views: 3056
Size:  112.8 KB

and use f-body mounts so all i have to do is weld two tabs on the cradle and drill them , then attatch the mount to them . furthermore, i have the option of going poly later on if i need to .

so all in all , i think today was somewhat productive

next on the to do list :

- get fbody mounts
- bend new pipes for cradle
- get accessories
- find transmission measurements ( from mount holes to bellhousing edge )
- start figuring out which porsche wires i need to use
- install suspension parts as soon as they get here

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 03-09-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

The purists are crying themselves to sleep
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
next on the to do list :

- get fbody mounts
You need the iron pedestals? If so I have a pair just sitting. you cover shipping and you can have them.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks similar to my cradle. Alt needs new mount. I'm running a meziere remote EWP mounted on the cradle. Will the stock WP work on the later chassis? Have you made your decision on which trans?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

A little motivation for ya
Name:  Mewheelsup.jpg
Views: 3102
Size:  27.4 KB
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ever seen wheels up on Pirelli 18'' street radials? 911's hook...you don't need awd
Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

well this is badass.. how do you (or did you, longboarder) manage with the electronics?

i was thinking of an e46 but that seemed like itd be a major hinderance.

im also interested to see this drivetrain
Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 AM
8 Second Club

sweet lord lazy!! what did you have to do do do that????

( guess what my background pic is now?? )

are you using a cradle similar to this one: ( see the attatche image below)

i'm trying to keep everything in the same location when it comes to the accessory drive, so the cradle has to make its way around them . ( see below). i do have a remote water pump and all the fittings, but like i said , i'm trying to stick to stock .
i'm waiting to get some critical measurements from under a car with the trans intact so i know exactly where the engine will sit and wether to go with a remote pump or not. as for the trans it most likely will be a the stock six speed G96/50 that originally comes on these cars ( from the picture you posted they seem to hold up well )

by the way , what trans and clutch is that porsche using ( and what engine if it is different from stock) ??

otto , thank you so much for the offer , but i'll have to pass ( 1- i have them , 2- shipping will cost an arm and a leg ; i like in middle east )

irish , i plan on using both ls1 and porsche pcm's ; ls1 pcm to contol the engine, and the porsche one to do everything else, the plan is to connect vital signals from the ls1 ( like temp , map, oil pressure , etc ) using porsche sensors . that way all the pcm knows is that the original engine is still there

any ways , on with the updates

i decided to ditch the original design i had for the cradle in favor of a much simpler and more convenient one . simply put its a giant "u" from one porsche engine mount location to the other with two parallel bar running fron to back underneath

Name:  100_1907.jpg
Views: 3064
Size:  194.1 KB

Name:  100_1905.jpg
Views: 3044
Size:  166.4 KB

and from this picture you can see it does not show when the bumper is on :

Name:  100_1908.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  137.8 KB

the only thing i have to decide on now is wether to make it a completely bolt in cradle or weld it to the leading edge to the crossmember ( which is removable )

another concideration is a slightly different design which does not attatch to the crossmember and terminates just under the ls1 engine mount , this way i can use the porsche engine mount and solid mount the engine to the cradle ( i think this is how renegade does their cradles ).

i might sound like i'm complicating things right now , but remeber , i have to have space for the turbo's later down the road

either design i go with will have to wait a bit , since i did manage to score a stock exhaust , which i might use ( just have to go and pick it up tonight )
i'd like to place it on the car and see if it is possible at all to run it with the cradle design i have right now or not .

(why does it seem like i want this whole thing to be a bolt on process )
Attached Thumbnails 2001 porsche 996 ls1 conversion-exhaust_pside-engine-mount.jpg  

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 03-09-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

idirtyz,

Do you have you transaxle yet? Reason I ask, is that for my Porsche 914/LS1 swap, I made a cradle that supports both the engine and transaxle (6 speed) so that I can remove and install everything as a single unit. Saves a lot of time for multiple re-fittings durring the swap process.

Andy1
Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 PM
8 Second Club

i'm trying to locate a transaxle localy , but i do agree getting the engine and trans to be one unit to make moving stuff easier. i'm trying to make this thing as close to "stock" as possible which means removing the engine just like the original .

on a side note, i managed to score a set of stock wheels and tires (perrelli rosso's ) for a steal

Thanks AZ

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 02-23-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

A 930 box would relieve 300 lbs from the chassis between being 100 lbs less than the G96, losing the viscous diff, front diff, front axles, your uprights for C2 ect...Plus being a 996 GT2 (rwd 996tt) is just bad ***.

I'm interested in seeing what you do with the exterior of the car. Not much of a sleeper any way you do it though, you might as well **** in the P guys cheerios and mount a 6ft banana wing, body kit and some obnoxious color. I'm still brainstorming.

My favorite
Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe replace the Polizei with a Miami Vice torch or something...I LOVE PISSING OFF THE PURISTS! I love this build. I'm doing a sleeper boxter next.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

You have a very classy fuel choice, q16 is the way to go.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
i'm not sure which lane the car was in , but i pan on beating either time by a full second (speeds are in kph and are109mph and 120 mph respectively)
Most tracks that I've been to give the WINNER the top/white copy FYI.

Also subscribing

Quick Reply: 2001 porsche 996 ls1 conversion