Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PN xxx593 H3 oil pan dip stick tube questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PN xxx593 H3 oil pan dip stick tube questions

I just put the H3 pan on my GTO LS1/T56 motor for my Volvo swap.
Looks like I need to machine out the block, or something, for my dip stick tube.

I thought I read some where about someone knocking a plug out of the boss on the block, but can't find it, and not sure if it was even for the dip stick tube issue.

So, if the GTO pan had the DS in the pan, which it did, and the new pan doesn't have the same provision, then I must need to use the spot in the block that looks just right for this, but, do I drill, or do I push a plug out?
If I drill, what size, or just make it the same dia as the old pan hole?

yup, it's all bolted and torqued up, so this is a re-do. Since I just finished 13 times having the engine in and out of the car playing with position, mounts, firewall clearance, shifter position, etc, pulling the pan is no biggie, but it wasn't something I expected to do more than once.

any help is appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Just take the plug out,look above the starter about 1/2 above the oil pan gasket 6" from the back of the block.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same pan and dipstick in my S10 and the dipstick doesn't touch the oil I put 7qt's in and still nothing, doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_10
I have the same pan and dipstick in my S10 and the dipstick doesn't touch the oil I put 7qt's in and still nothing, doesn't make sense to me.
Make sure you have the right dipstick and tube, if you bought the pan as a kit, some of them came with the wrong pieces
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I used the LH8 pan which I think is very similar to the H3 pan and I bought a dipstick for a 2002 Camaro 5.7 and it works fine, but yes you need to knock out the little plug it is in the block close to the starter it is like a little freeze plug about 1/8 to 1/4 in size and yes I knocked it out from the inside out and had the oil pan off and it was real easy, not sure if you could get it from the outside might be abe to but it will be tricky, when you put the new dipstick in put a dab of silicone on where it mates to the block and then it is held on by one bolt to the side of the cylinder head.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Make sure you have the right dipstick and tube, if you bought the pan as a kit, some of them came with the wrong pieces
since I'm pulling my pan again, and I did buy the kit, I'll dry fit the dip stick tube and stick.

About where should the oil fill level be relative to the top of the pan?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

A word of friendly warning to those that have come after me...haha.

I too converted to an LH8 oil pan for my '78 TA swap and the ground clearance is HORRENDOUS! I blame myself honestly but I shoudl have checked with all the front sheetmetal done, etc... The pan has a VERY deep sump and make sure you are not setting yourself up for a problem. My TA has a bit of a drop on the suspension and this seriously bummed me out.

Just a heads up! Good luck on your swap!

Dave
Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

here's a hoot, mines going in a Volvo, so ground clearance does not look to be an issue.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Lq4 and i just bought the H3 pan kit. Can I use the same hole in the block that the 6.0 dipstick/tube used?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikezohsix
since I'm pulling my pan again, and I did buy the kit, I'll dry fit the dip stick tube and stick.

About where should the oil fill level be relative to the top of the pan?
Hold the pan level and pour 5.5 quarts in it and see where it ends up

Quick Reply: PN xxx593 H3 oil pan dip stick tube questions