Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on the 1980?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^Not really, funds are kinda low. I just ordered some stuff for it from Summitt Racing though, got an adjustable proportioning valve, a billet steel pitman arm for the steering box, and a 10 psi residual pressure valve to reduce pressure for the rear drum brakes when I get a disk/disc master cylinder along with more polyurethane bushings for the damm lower arms of my 4th gen and a tranny mount.

I'm hoping today I can sand down the firewall again to paint it black, that gray por-15 turned yellowish. Took water pump off, valvecovers, and intake to remove all the oil/dirt that was built up on it and now it looks alot cleaner.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Default Doing the same swap on a 79 Firebird

Would like to know how did it came out, so far I had drop a 03 lsx engine in it I have a friend finishing it up for me in Texas. Right now I'm in Korea for 2 years I trying to see what is the best brackets to use to more the alternator, and I might go back to Texas after leaving here and I will need a A/C bracket too. So please hit me up.
Rich

Originally Posted by zamora7
Finally! After all the hassle of finding the title and its owner it is already home, waiting to come back to life after sitting out in the Texas heat. Like I said in my previous thread, 1979 Firebird Formula (NO TITLE) the guy that had the car did not have the title. Car is in overall great shape with still good paint left on it, only found two small dents on it after giving it a quick wash and rinsing off all the dirt and leafs and all kinds of crap. It has a Formula hood and T/A fenders, may be a Formula.

Now I'm stuck between going with an LS/T56 swap but I'm a little concerned about how long that would take and making all the wiring and gauges work properly, but this would be a sick ride! My second option is to get 400/th400 (found one on CL for $500 but the guy hasn't got back with me)combo until I can come up with the funds for an LS motor then reselling the 400/th400 combo.

Anyways I would like to get some info on what it would take to do the LS swap so I can calculate cost. I have read about some edelbrock mounting plates that go pnto the the old mounts (from what I understood), but it was done on a 1st gen camaro, are they the same as 2nd gen T/A's and firebirds? If I do go this route I would have to sell my DD for funds, or trade for LS/t56 combo, which I'm trying to sell either way to get going with this project.

All opinions and advice are welcome wether it be for old-school carbed or LS swap.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by JIMB
I have a 79 Camaro with a LS1/4l60e. I purchased the S&P motor plates and used the 79 motor mounts. Fit well. the front of the oil pan missed the back of the cross member by 3/8". No reason not to move it back slightly. Plenty of room to the fire wall. Did mine 4 years ago so there wasn't lots of info. If I did it again I would make the motor plates out of 1/4" steel plate for about $10 in material and then move the motor to where I liked it and drill holes for the motor mounts. See attached pics.

PM me with any questions.

By the way the car is for sale. $19,000
know u sold the 79 camaro a long time ago by now as I've seen it for sale on gateway classics was just wondering if you had more pics of it and info was thinking about buying it from gateway thanks

Quick Reply: LS power into 1980 Firebird