Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first gen fbody suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first gen fbody suspension questions

ok guys i want my 67 to handle a little better and whatnot. i already upgraded to the 3rd gen gearbox and it helped but still not tight like a newer car. also it has coil overs and ladder bars is there any way to soften them up since there all hiem jointed? maybe a bushinged hiem joint? i want this to handle more like a newer camaro what do i need to do ? rack and pinion?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds you have a drag race suspension, for a better handling car it's time to change it all, you may be able to use the coilovers but not the ladderbars,

have you looked into website like Pro-touring.com or Lateral G.net these will inform you of changes to make your car handle better,

Not many people change over to a rack with a stock subframe it causes alot of bumpsteer, a box like you have or a Lee box is whats used,

Bigger/wider tires, aftermarket upper/lower control arms, not really needed, stock can be made to work, solid body mounts, delrin upper/lower bushings, bigger swaybar,

Rear: lowered springs better bushings, sway bar, not really needed if you run a 1" or bigger front bar, and shocks, Koni, Edelbrock, NOT KYB's,

It all really depends on how deep you pockets are!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RNation0001
ok guys i want my 67 to handle a little better and whatnot. i already upgraded to the 3rd gen gearbox and it helped but still not tight like a newer car. also it has coil overs and ladder bars is there any way to soften them up since there all hiem jointed? maybe a bushinged hiem joint? i want this to handle more like a newer camaro what do i need to do ? rack and pinion?
DSE has the parts if you have the money. Just depends on if you like to corner or go in a straight line.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i kinda wanna be able to do both decent
Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DSE Q link is not your answer for drag racing, wheel hop,
Old 11-02-2010, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RNation0001
i kinda wanna be able to do both decent
Hot Rods to Hell has a truck arm setup that should do both. The truck arms wouldn't allow the axle to wrap up and depending on your spring rate should squat and go. Nascar has been using this style for years.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out http://www.pozziracing.com/ for many good tips on 1st gen F-body.. but yeah.. get rid of the ladder bars.. Drag Racing and Road/Crossing are different setup completely for the Spring, sway bars and Shock Valving.

good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on Pozziracing all you need is a good Hotchkis or Globalwest setup or mixture of the two. I like the HTH setup though. If you do some searching Mary Pozzi beat the DSE setup car with leafs. It was not a first gen but a second. Don't think you need something super exotic and stick with the basics.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome guys i appreciate the info

Quick Reply: first gen fbody suspension questions