Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter wiring (foxbody ls swap)

Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter wiring (foxbody ls swap)

ok i'm getting ready to start wiring my car ,, i need to know what wires i need to run from the drivers fender were the starter solonoid was and run them to the passenger side were the starter is ?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a main power wire that sends power into the car. this powers the head lights, brake lights, blinkers, and everything inside the car.

I spliced into a wire inside the car for the starter solenoid.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

On my 93 car i run the positive terminal of the battey to one side of the big post on the fender mounted FORD soleniod. It also has the big wire going to the big post on the GM starter(it also has alot of feeds to power up the rest of the car on that stud), i use the FORD signal wire to the small terminal at the top of the fender mounted solenoid, the other large stud goes to the small terminal on the GM starter soleniod.
The following users liked this post:
zabian2727 (06-30-2023)
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
On my 93 car i run the positive terminal of the battey to one side of the big post on the fender mounted FORD soleniod. It also has the big wire going to the big post on the GM starter(it also has alot of feeds to power up the rest of the car on that stud), i use the FORD signal wire to the small terminal at the top of the fender mounted solenoid, the other large stud goes to the small terminal on the GM starter soleniod.
so your still using the ford soleniod and the started mounted GM soleniod ?
if i read this correct , just keep all the wires that are normaly mount on the ford soleniod where they are .. run a cable from the 2nd side of the soleniod
to the GM starter soleniod , but run the purple S wire to the GM starter ?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No the wires stay at the Ford soleniod. You run your battery cable to the starter and jump the soleniod there with a short wire. From the battery post on the starter to the lug to activate the solenoid. The ford soleniod does the rest.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Look here

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...nstruction.pdf
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Just the Ford soleniod becomes your remote soleniod!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres no reason to keep that ugly solnoid on the fender well.
Get rid of it and run the wires I was talking about either the the battery(Mine is relocated to the back) or down to the power side of the starter. Then run the wire that switched the ford relay down to the GM starter.
The following users liked this post:
Spankyyyy (03-21-2024)
Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackTA96
Theres no reason to keep that ugly solnoid on the fender well.
Get rid of it and run the wires I was talking about either the the battery(Mine is relocated to the back) or down to the power side of the starter. Then run the wire that switched the ford relay down to the GM starter.

there are a bunch of wire that were on the soleniod stud .. what wires (colors plz) do i need ? .. try'in to eliminate any wires i dont need ,
Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's one ring terminal that has a few different wires going to it. Thats the only one I kept. Only wiring I kept in the engine bay was for the head lights, everything else is gone. I'll get some pictures tonight.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackTA96
There's one ring terminal that has a few different wires going to it. Thats the only one I kept. Only wiring I kept in the engine bay was for the head lights, everything else is gone. I'll get some pictures tonight.
awesome thank you
Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

these are the wire's that were on the ford soleniod .... which one's do i run to the GM starter ?

Name:  Picture062.jpg
Views: 8479
Size:  124.1 KB
Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The yellow one is the only one I kept, although its a different color on my car.

The two black wires that go to the connector with a star lookin hole, i think those are grounds.

And I believe the red/blue wire is the wire you need to run to the solenoid on the gm starter.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep the yellow wire is what powers up the ignition switch which then powers up the fuses on the inside of the car.

So if you send power to the yellow wire then you will have everything working on the inside and the headlights, brake lights, dome light, and everything else.

I'm actually in the same boat as you are, I am removing all un-needed wiring now also. Here is a good schematic to go by.

That's what I'm using mostly to remove wires. I know what I don't want/need so I remove the wires going to them.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Launching!

So can I power the yellow wire to post on back of alternator
Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Did you get an answer to your question? So the yellow wire can be connected to the back of the alt? As for the red wire to the GM starter? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can hook yellow up to alt or starter hot side. (That's what I did). And yes I believe it's small red wire runs to starter however maybe it's just my car but when I ran that to my starter I always had to keep trying to start by turning key back and trying again it would just make my starter click and not actually fully engage. About a month ago I ended up running a 12 gauge wire from battery to push button starter and it works perfect now. Just something to keep in mind if your car has the same issue mine did for whatever reason.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks! I will try it this week. Can't wait to fire up my car!
Old 08-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Default starter/ignition wiring

So with that diagram that dmracing posted from summit racing, if I have the jumper wire on the starter I don't need to touch the blue/red ignition wire that connects to the small post on the ford starter solenoid?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Im bringing this back from the dead i guess. I'm almost done with an ls swap and and trying to figure out this wiring as well. Iv got my grounds hooked up in the harness and power to the yellow wire but no dice. i get a faint ding in the cab and the tail lights work, but the headlights, turn signals etc are all dead. I can hit the signal lever but it just lights up that side with no flasher like i dont have enough power. The windows roll up and down, the blower motor and dash lights work, but no headlights or turn signals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter wiring (foxbody ls swap)