Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with swap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with swap!!!!

so, i have a v6 firebird at the moment, and i have an LS1 and T56 i was going to swap over to it when i got my grand prix running. but b/c they are cars, and im broke, things have been moved forward slightly. since the gp's s/c is destroyed and gaskets shot, the swap is top of the list. i believe i have cracked a water jacket on the v6 and thus need to swap the v8 in asap. so here are my ?'s and if you have ANY info either personaly or links please post.

1. what wires need to be swapped from the v8(ie. harness)?

2. what other supporting parts need to be swapped(ie. fuel pump?)

3. will the v6 radiator be enough to cool the LS?

again thanks for all and any input to this job! you guys are the best
Old 03-28-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

no one has any input?.... ttt
Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Take a minute and SEARCH!!!!

There are quite a few write ups on here about this swap......... Its not an overnight swap and there is quite a few more parts that you need to put the LS1/T56 in. If your in a hurry to get something to drive again, find yourself another 3.8..............

This is a VERY good write-up and should help answer a lot of your questions before you even tear into it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...to-95-z28.html

Good luck!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

that is a swap into an lt1 v8 car. mine is into a 99 v6 and the main help i need is with wiring in the harness and gauge cluster
Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Like I said earlier, and Im not trying to be a *****- or do the leg work for you. I did mine at here at home in my garage, but its a carb'd 6.0 thats only gonna see "the track" so all autometer gauges, MSD for the motor, and a TH400........ Do a SEARCH!!!!!!! Trust me the answers are out there for ya..... Im pretty sure/remember seeing somewhere on here that "the merv" did a Q/A type write-up with all the wiring questions that was very thorough. There isnt a "step by step" manual that I know of for this......... there are probably 50 posts in here asking questions about this and the wiring. Just a heads up/question for ya- You know you need a LS1 k-member, rack, steering shaft, motor mounts, radiator/fans, etc..... right??? It is WORTH it to find a wrecked V8 car and take EVERYTHING out/off of it that you can. Like I said, this ISNT an overnight swap and if your're in a HURRY get another 3.8 to drop in it or your GP for the time being while you RESEARCH this out and acquire all the parts. I have a engine harness/comp that Id be willing to come off of though if you are interested-

Try this link out- http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/

and this one- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ours-here.html

Last edited by blk96406; 03-28-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: adding links
Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the totaled formy that i wrecked and got the v6 for 1k so yes its worth it in my eyes. And im not in a "hurry" just want to get it done right
Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

so im just going to swap the ENTIRE wire harness from the 98 and put it in the 99 bcm pcm and all...im gunna need more
Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

what the LS is going into

boo...v6

ahh...the nightmare of wiring....

but all in all so far so good
Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Thats some hardcore progress in just 3 days, Good Job!!

-Garrett
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

No it isnt. 3 days to drop an engine/dash out is extremely slow

Wiring the new car should be simple because you've got a complete donor there already. Move EVERYTHING from the formmy over to the V6 chassis. Dont forget the fuel lines and tank. They are different from V6 to V8 as well. With as direct swap your fabrications and rewiring becomes zero. Unbolt and install
Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

haha it was 3 days of research. only took 4 hours to get this far...lol
Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Kick *** progress, man!!! If/when I ever do another one, that is exactly how Im gonna do it. Ive bought everything "piece by piece" to get mine done......... I looked though and couldnt find a wrecked one until about a month after my motor was in!!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

thnx man. there is only one problem i am having. i have NO idea how to get the harness thru the driver side firewall....any insight?

and i figured it would just be easier to swap wires bumper to bumper instead of trying to splice and mix...
Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Ya, taking the whole harness is the best/easiest way. As far as getting the harness through the firewall, there is a 8 mm bolt on the firewall (motor side by the brake booster). Unplug the harness from the column/abs comp/etc- think there is like 6 plugs total IIRC, and that whole harness comes out through the firewall to the motor side......... sounds worse than what it really is. Just be careful when you plug the stuff back in, the big plug that plugs into the bottom/top side of the column fought me and was a real ***** to get plugged back in....... I bent one of the tangs on the column and it made life miserable to get it lined up so it would plug in just because of where its located.

Quick Reply: Help with swap!!!!