Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1/t56 69 ta vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start by saying that this is BEYOND an awesome build! I'm absolutely floored by the interior design, and you did everything yourself...Outstanding!!!

I also love the theme of the vehice, basically stock exterior, but under the hood...Surprise! Look in the interior...Surprise!

I've just completed the first phase of my conversion of a 2004 LQ9 (fly-by-wire) and 4l60E into a '69 LeMans. I'm doing a sleeper project so no mods to the exterior, stock interior but with the modern powertrain.

I had a couple of questions for you: I noticed that you have manual brakes, how do you like it? I'm on the fence about power vs. manual..I'd like to go manual for the simplicity, but I don't want to wear out my right foot in the process...What are your thoughts?

Also, do you have issues with the engine being doggy when its warm under the hood? I noticed that you don't have a cold air intake system, and with my setup (similar to yours) when the cooling fan kicks in it blows hot air right in the intake and there is a noticeable decrease in power...Do you have the same issue?

Again, LOVE the build!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by goatcrazy
Let me start by saying that this is BEYOND an awesome build! I'm absolutely floored by the interior design, and you did everything yourself...Outstanding!!!

I also love the theme of the vehice, basically stock exterior, but under the hood...Surprise! Look in the interior...Surprise!

I've just completed the first phase of my conversion of a 2004 LQ9 (fly-by-wire) and 4l60E into a '69 LeMans. I'm doing a sleeper project so no mods to the exterior, stock interior but with the modern powertrain.

I had a couple of questions for you: I noticed that you have manual brakes, how do you like it? I'm on the fence about power vs. manual..I'd like to go manual for the simplicity, but I don't want to wear out my right foot in the process...What are your thoughts?

Also, do you have issues with the engine being doggy when its warm under the hood? I noticed that you don't have a cold air intake system, and with my setup (similar to yours) when the cooling fan kicks in it blows hot air right in the intake and there is a noticeable decrease in power...Do you have the same issue?

Again, LOVE the build!!!!
Goatcrazy,thanks for the compliments!

No problems for the brakes. The fronts are C5 calipers with 13" C4 ZO6 rotors and the rears are LS1 so there is plenty of stopping power. It takes a little more effort than vacuum assist but you can modulate the brakes better. I may go to hydro boost in the future just in case my wife is driving.

I just completed my home built CAI. I have been looking at various setups people have done and this is what I came up with. Just about all the CAI setups have used some form of mandrel bent aluminum tubing that has been welded. I tried to look for something that I could build in my garage and still look professionally built so this is what I came up with.

Airaid has a U Build It kit that you can purchase in various diameters so I just purchased the 4" tube from Summit.

You can just purchase their tubing and not the whole kit so that is what I did. You just cut the various lengths and elbows that you need from the kit and configure them the way you want. I got my T-bolt clamps from McMaster Carr and the intake filter from Spectre.

Cutting the tubes was a piece of cake using a hack saw. Here is a tip. When you cut the tube put clamps on each side of the line you want to cut just a saw width apart and the cut will be straight and not wander while you cutting.

I then sanded the edges so I had a real tight fit and glued them together with CA glue since the tube is plastic. Sanded and smoothed the tube and took it down to my painter and they painted the same color as my manefold.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool find with the air intake I'm going to look into that.

And let me say, I LOVE your car what a great piece of craftsmanship. Someday I would like to try and do that to a car, but all of those skills to do all of that by yourself is truly beyond me.

Excellent job
Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

I love this build man excellent job!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevyboy91188
very cool find with the air intake I'm going to look into that.

And let me say, I LOVE your car what a great piece of craftsmanship. Someday I would like to try and do that to a car, but all of those skills to do all of that by yourself is truly beyond me.

Excellent job
Originally Posted by Red Devil 99'
I love this build man excellent job!!!
Thanks, guys, this has been a really rewarding build. It took me 40 yrs to get my 69 TA and we are having a ball with it. Just got back from First Generation Firebird Cannonbird Run in Estes Park, CO. Drove the car from Huntsville, TX to Estes Park, CO to Lincoln, NE and back to Huntsville and got 21.8 mpg. LS engines rock!

Sam
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

I just completed my trunk install and thought I would share some pics. For you guys doing a Camaro it would be the same.

Bottom well is covered in carpet. Bottom side panels are 3/4 mdf board with cleats to support center panels. There are 3 center panels in all. Two smaller ones to complete the frame for the larger center panel

Back cleat ties the two bottom side panels and supports the bottom of the back panel. All panels are made from 1/4 luan plywood.

Back panel and panels that cover the hinges

side panel covering the battery fits snug to hold back panel and hinge panel

A friend of mine owns a cap embroidery company so he embroidered the firebird logo and the custom pontiac victory flag logo for me.

Plus you get a bonus room to store your stuff just in case you have problems on the road

Sam
69 Firebird convertible T/A pro-touring custom, Now LS1/T56 six speed, 3:42 Eaton posi, 18" Iforged wheels, 04 GTO interior.
www.fquick.com/SamHatco
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited by SamHatco; 08-19-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: content
Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

this thread needs a like button... lol
Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red Devil 99'
this thread needs a like button... lol

Thanks, Red Devil 99.

Sam
Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

holy crap! very nice build!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

amazing job, great idea w/ the air intake might have to steal it
Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

My hats off to you Sir. I'm just getting ready to start my '71 LeMans Sport build so thanks for the inspiration!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jarretthise
holy crap! very nice build!
Originally Posted by LS2 67GTO
amazing job, great idea w/ the air intake might have to steal it
Originally Posted by '02TA
My hats off to you Sir. I'm just getting ready to start my '71 LeMans Sport build so thanks for the inspiration!!!

Thank you fellas! I neglected to mention that I won best firebird at the Cannonbird Run in Estes Park, Co.

That's a real deal 98 point trans am next to me that I beat out. It was a beautiful car. I was stunned that I won because there were so many beautifully restored firebirds there

Sam
Old 08-27-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow man! your car is amazing i have to say again but i cant believe you actaully REALLY beat an actual first year TRANS AM.. that car next to you is worth some money, not that yours isnt.. lol i guess what im trying to get at is that car next to you is the real deal and most likely numbers matching.. it shoulda been a tie!! lol jk.. you deserve it though! no doubt! you are a very determined man!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jarretthise
wow man! your car is amazing i have to say again but i cant believe you actaully REALLY beat an actual first year TRANS AM.. that car next to you is worth some money, not that yours isnt.. lol i guess what im trying to get at is that car next to you is the real deal and most likely numbers matching.. it shoulda been a tie!! lol jk.. you deserve it though! no doubt! you are a very determined man!
I'm not disagreeing with you one bit. Not only that, next to that Trans Am was a one owner non restored 90,000 mile Trans Am. Needless to say I was stunned and very proud to be awarded "Best Firebird". I guess the judges appreciated the work that went into my car.

Sam
Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Wow truely stunning... just makes me wonder whats gonna happen to 4th gens in 50 years...
Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is probably the coolest build I have ever seen. I love what you did with the trunk and the tool compartment.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Foosh
Wow truely stunning... just makes me wonder whats gonna happen to 4th gens in 50 years...
Originally Posted by RedVertTA
This is probably the coolest build I have ever seen. I love what you did with the trunk and the tool compartment.
Hey guys, thanks. So far I've put nearly 6,000 miles on the car this summer and it has been a blast. You've probably heard this before but... "If you see my car on a trailer... then it's been stolen!" I built this car to drive and enjoy. Now I'm looking for another old muscle car to build. LS engine swap of course.

Sam
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Sam,

Awesome build.. I want to build an air intake system like yours...I found the pipe on summit. When you say CA glue...what is that? You did not use any couplers between the cut pipe? thanks...

Leon
1978 LS1/4L60E TA
Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

that's ******* beautiful.someday i would like 2 do something similar.love the fuel rail covers 2 ,way better than gto covers.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by reedld
Sam,

Awesome build.. I want to build an air intake system like yours...I found the pipe on summit. When you say CA glue...what is that? You did not use any couplers between the cut pipe? thanks...

Leon
1978 LS1/4L60E TA
Perhaps the term CA glue or cyanoacrylate glue (don't ask me to pronounce it, lol) doesn't sound familiar, but you've probably encountered brand names such as Super Glue, Crazy Glue, Loctite or Insta-Bond. Cyanoacrylate glue is the general term for the quick-bonding super glues used to mend or combine anything from plastics to wood to metal. Unfortunately for some, this list also tends to include human skin.

The main ingredient in super glue is called cyanoacrylate. If cyanoacrylate glue is placed on a perfectly dry surface or certain plastics, the cyanoacrylate cannot form a bond with the surface. But if there is even the slightest amount of water present, including moisture from the air, the molecules of the glue have a chemical reaction and form into tight chains between the two surfaces being bonded. This reaction happens within seconds of the water and cyanoacrylate making contact. Traditional white glues rely on evaporation to form their bonds, but cyanoacrylate glue generates its own heat for faster curing.

Make sure your cuts are perfectly square with no gaps and sanded smooth. You want the joints to be tight. I have a sanding station and was able to get my joints fairly tight. The glue I used I got from my body shop and it comes with a spray accelerator. You can google it to find an industrial strength glue to suit your needs.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Quick Reply: Ls1/t56 69 ta vert