Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1/t56 69 ta vert

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Im about to take this same swap on myself in my Nova, Any reason not to use the factory AC Evap unit VS the Vintage air
Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
Im about to take this same swap on myself in my Nova, Any reason not to use the factory AC Evap unit VS the Vintage air
I don't think so, I just didn't have access to the GTO HVAC.

Sam
Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Modern GM compressors are variable displacement... check out VA's info., they don't recommend it.

http://www.vintageair.com/2013catalo...Webpgs%206.pdf
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you switch over to R123A you will need an evap unit that is set up for it and you will need a larger condenser to make it actually cool. When the auto manufacturers first swapped over to R123A, the air conditioners didn't cool as well. They finally figured out that they needed a different expansion valve and a bigger condenser to make it cool the same. If you are up north it might work well enough for you but here in the south it won't.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

I think he wants to use the entire GTO HVAC unit. If so, it shouldn't be a problem, packaging would be the only issue.

Sam

Last edited by SamHatco; 10-15-2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kaptainkw
Modern GM compressors are variable displacement... check out VA's info., they don't recommend it.

http://www.vintageair.com/2013catalo...Webpgs%206.pdf

I used the Vintage air with the GM compressor from an 04 Van. It was Fixed. not variable. In the model number of the compressors there is either a V or F.

The vintage air unit i ran was always cold but just didnt move enough air to keep it cold.

With this swap im thinking of not only using the Evap unit from the GTO, but the Compressor as well as the BCM to run it all.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SamHatco
I don't think so, I just didn't have access to the GTO HVAC.

Sam
I spent over 1300 on the vintage air system and was very disappointed. Ive paid that much for an entire car that had better AC.

Everything worked great, as long as it wasnt over 100-105. I always had my kids with me and they would sweat there butts off in the back seat.

With the GTO system i will be adding a rear air evap that i got out of an escalade rear air. It will be installed in the Trunk under the Package tray. Nothing much worse than looking at your toddlers with there cheeks red and sweat running down there face.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

So im picking up the entire dash complete with column, console, door panels and cluster. What was needed to connect the cluster to the bcm and then to the pcm?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this is an old thread that has been brought back up but WOW. Amazing build, and excellent workmanship. I would love to see some of our parts under that car to complete the "modernized suspension" aspect.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

So im picking up the entire dash complete with column, console, door panels and cluster. What was needed to connect the cluster to the bcm and then to the pcm?
You need the body wire harness. It has the connectors between the bcm, dash, pim, and ecm.

Sam
Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Sam, definitely an awesome build.

As far as the Vintage Air unit goes, and being you live in Texas, is it sufficient? Being I live in Las Vegas, I want to FREEZE in the middle of summer. BTW, I have a '69 Firebird with factory air that I was thinking of eliminating for the VA system, but now, I'm not so sure as I've seen a couple of people that weren't as happy with it.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

This is incredible. I saw a picture of your car online and after some searching I found this thread. The interior is jaw dropping, a true work of art. The talent that this website attracts blows me away. As soon as think I am pretty nifty with cars I see something like this and it's a completely separate ball game. Your build is very inspirational, thank you for taking the time and posting some pictures up here. I have so many questions out of curiosity about this car that I won't even begin to ask. Wouldn't want to bug you asking how you did every little thing. Very nice car, I totaled a 69 firebird when I was 16, have always wanted another one.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sprech
Hey Sam, definitely an awesome build.

As far as the Vintage Air unit goes, and being you live in Texas, is it sufficient? Being I live in Las Vegas, I want to FREEZE in the middle of summer. BTW, I have a '69 Firebird with factory air that I was thinking of eliminating for the VA system, but now, I'm not so sure as I've seen a couple of people that weren't as happy with it.
The vintage air system works just fine easy to install and their tech support is second to none.

Sam
Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shanex25
This is incredible. I saw a picture of your car online and after some searching I found this thread. The interior is jaw dropping, a true work of art. The talent that this website attracts blows me away. As soon as think I am pretty nifty with cars I see something like this and it's a completely separate ball game. Your build is very inspirational, thank you for taking the time and posting some pictures up here. I have so many questions out of curiosity about this car that I won't even begin to ask. Wouldn't want to bug you asking how you did every little thing. Very nice car, I totaled a 69 firebird when I was 16, have always wanted another one.
Thank you for the compliment. I have a more complete build at protouring.com under this thread http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/3...-A-convertible if you would like to look at it.

Sam
Old 05-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Sam

I don't think I can top any of the compliments that you have received about this build, but just to say that reading through your blog I saw how inspiring it was to others contemplating the decision over that first step to bankrupcy lol. My personal favorite thing about this build is actually the fact that the engine bay is so uncluttered, no sloppy wiring harness, vacum pipes and the like, just nice and clean.

This build is a lot of what people are looking for these days I think, a modern interior and functionality but with the exterior lines of a bygone age of car designers who were given the liberty to design cars that spoke about them as designers and crators and created rivelries of the GTO fashion explosion era. sure they may not have been as mechanically 'safe' as they are these days with ABS, traction control, Brake force distribution etc.

But Who wouldn't want to be seen driving along the beach road in this!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mysticpete
Sam

I don't think I can top any of the compliments that you have received about this build, but just to say that reading through your blog I saw how inspiring it was to others contemplating the decision over that first step to bankrupcy lol. My personal favorite thing about this build is actually the fact that the engine bay is so uncluttered, no sloppy wiring harness, vacum pipes and the like, just nice and clean.

This build is a lot of what people are looking for these days I think, a modern interior and functionality but with the exterior lines of a bygone age of car designers who were given the liberty to design cars that spoke about them as designers and creators and created rivalries of the GTO fashion explosion era. sure they may not have been as mechanically 'safe' as they are these days with ABS, traction control, Brake force distribution etc.

But Who wouldn't want to be seen driving along the beach road in this!
WOW!, I don't what to say but thank you. The car has been a blast to drive and is a veteran of 2 Hot Rod Power Tours as a Long hauler. I built it to drive and that is what I am doing. Thanks again,

Sam
Old 11-16-2015, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

That interior is amazing.. Great job
Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Fantastic build
Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Hi-have you been going about your GTO conversion? I was going to ask same question on the evap/heater unit reuse. Starting on a 68 rag camaro 04 GTO convert
Old 11-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Teching In

I started on my non-stock(not and RS,SS Z) 68 camaro convertible with the driveline, dash, hvac, steering, wiper assembly etc from a 04 GTO.
Have a posting started..

https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69...08/#post729438

Quick Reply: Ls1/t56 69 ta vert