Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tanks inc fuel pump - fitting clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanks inc fuel pump - fitting clearance issues

Hey guys, I just installed a Tanks, Inc PA-4 in-tank fuel pump assembly in my stock '69 Camaro gas tank.. One thing that I noticed when I was all done, is the 90' fittings on the top of the pump cover (feed & return) stick up almost 1" above the tank, and that will hit the bottom of the trunk pan on install?

This stock tank almost touches the underside of the trunk pan when installed.. Probably only 1/4" clearnance.. Anybody else run in to this? And what did you do to fix the problem? Thanks - Jason
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue back in 2005 when I did my swap. This was my solution

Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Launching!

That looks great and would work perfect, but unfortunately - that mod is way over my head.. I was hoping for something plug-n-play, that is why I went with the Tanks, Inc set up.. I thought about cutting out the floor plan to allow for the fittings and hose routing and then having a small raised panel, or door to put over the pump? Not happy about that, but it wouldnt kill me. Carpet would cover it up I guess.. I'm hoping somebody else will chime in with something brilliant and get me off the hook without cutting something up!! Thanks again for the idea!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take it to someone to do the welding.
The reason I went this route was so that I did not have to cut the trunk. If I was to do it again and use the Tanks inc setup, I would cut the trunk floor. Not only will you have access to pump for an easy swap but your also have plenty tank depth for the pump to sit in.

When I recessed the plate, the pump barely fit in there since I lost some depth.
you can see how much I had to cut off
Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info.. I really like the idea of an access panel to service the pump inside the trunk.. It's just getting my arms around the idea of sawzalling a hole in my trunk pan!! Couple beers might help.. Anybody else has any ideas, I am all ears! Thanks everybody.. Jason
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Teching In

So when you install this unit, do you have to do any other mods to the tank itself? Vents, ect? Does it bolt right to the tank?

I'm thinking about doing this set up with the "trap door" since my trunk floor pan is a little messed up anyway...lol

Last edited by CliffsBlueCamaro; 05-05-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Also, what did you guys do for the fuel gauge sending unit?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CliffsBlueCamaro
Also, what did you guys do for the fuel gauge sending unit?
Nothing else to do.. Just drill a 4.5" hole, transfer the mounting holes, fit, assemble and install the unit. Comes complete with feed, return and vent. Just power it up and go.. I just used the stock 90ohm sender that worked perfect in my stock tank..

A think the trap door under carper is the way to go.. Perfect if you ever have to service the pump or filter...
Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in my 68 camaro i used the same setup, i just dented the floor slightly.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Launching!

One last question.. I got my tank drilled and pump set up installed in the tank.. Everything fit great and turned out fine.. What a pain in the *** to get all the screws in and started!!! I used tape to hold the ring to the inside of the tank and after I got a few screws started, I had a hard time getting the tape out!! I hope I don't ever have to take it out again! haha

Wondering... Teflon tape ok to seal the threads on the 90' fittings in the top cover?? And What did you guys do for the vent hole? It says ok to plug if you cap is vented.. How do can you tell if the cap is vented?? Mine kind of looks like a radiator cap? Thanks - Jason
Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

i was thinking about denting the floor up a bit cause its not too thick of metal, it wouldnt be too bad, and with carpet over it it wouldnt even be noticeable. i dont have a welder so i dont know how else i would do it, i also like the idea of the trap door, but im not too sure about how i would get the extra clearence without welding.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm cutting my floor in my 76 and making a "raised" access door so it will clear.

On a side note, does anyone know what size fittings the main feed and return line are threaded for? I would like to get some sort of an fitting or a quick disconnect to make it easy to hook up.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to cut my trunk too, i just installed it for now, it does touch the floor.

The fittings are 3/8 Pipe.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

So this tanks inc pump is the route i am thinking for my 65 impala. I was wondering how to vent it. My stock tank vent is some wierd tube that goes way up into the trunk and back down and out through the trunk floor. When I'm over 1/2 tank I get fuel slosh out of the vent. It pees on my exhaust pipe and the ground. Car stinks like gas. Makes the garage stink blah blah blah. Whats the best fix? Ditch the stock vent? Charcoal canister to catch fumes? Vent it from the pa-4? What's the best way to go? Thanks
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a purge valve from a 4th gen fbody. Doesn't matter what engine. Ran a line from a threaded fitting on the tanks inc pump to the valve ...works great

one of these

My install

Last edited by 1976CamaroGuy; 04-10-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdiddy
So this tanks inc pump is the route i am thinking for my 65 impala. I was wondering how to vent it. My stock tank vent is some wierd tube that goes way up into the trunk and back down and out through the trunk floor. When I'm over 1/2 tank I get fuel slosh out of the vent. It pees on my exhaust pipe and the ground. Car stinks like gas. Makes the garage stink blah blah blah. Whats the best fix? Ditch the stock vent? Charcoal canister to catch fumes? Vent it from the pa-4? What's the best way to go? Thanks
http://ii-much.myshopify.com

Andrew
Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Fuel tank

The vent line that loops into the trunk and then down is what I have always used. In a rollover situation it will not leak gas...adding to accident griefs. If you smell gas in the garage use a filter or reduce the size of the hole in the vent line. Whatever you do design the vent so that it will not seep gas in the event of a rollover. I think TANKS sells a ball check valve that is mounted above the tank.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my Nova. I did a notch and a slump on the stock Nova tank. That way the Tanks PA4 fittings didn't touch the floor pan and it gave a bit large slump in addition to the PA4 bucket. You can see what I did in my build thread.
With the slump that i added. I can run the tank just about dry. Don't ask me how i know. lol

I was about to use the stock sender for the gauge.
Just follow the link in my sig.

BC
Old 04-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My tanks inc came with one of these . I mounted it as high as I could and have not had a problem yet .

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd98.htm
Old 04-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
I used a purge valve from a 4th gen fbody. Doesn't matter what engine. Ran a line from a threaded fitting on the tanks inc pump to the valve ...works great

one of these

My install

That's just what I was looking for! Thanks. I grabbed one at the junkyard and tossed it in my fuel system parts pile. I think this will go on the tanks inc pa-4 and I will plug off the stock vent. That should be awesome.

Quick Reply: Tanks inc fuel pump - fitting clearance issues