Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Truck alternator wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Truck alternator wiring question

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my alternator wiring on my 6.0 out of a 2003 truck? what wire excites the alternator and I think I read on here at one time that you have to run a resistor? in the line? I would greatly appreciate any info.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Don't run a resistor, go to Radio Shack and get a small light. I'm even using an LED one that draws enough to make it all work. I'm charging to 14.5 volts.

I got a plug from a wrecking yard off a truck that only had (1) wire coming out of it. I thought it was brown. Someone will chime in here. Then again, it's more likely someone will chime in here to tell you to search rather than help.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the info Nashty. I have two wires coming off the plug and one is brown. I guess I will hook it up and see how it goes.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Brown it is !!!

BTW, the light is wired from the fuse panel to the light, then onto the alternator plug. (It doesn't get grounded.)

Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by metalman
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my alternator wiring on my 6.0 out of a 2003 truck? what wire excites the alternator and I think I read on here at one time that you have to run a resistor? in the line? I would greatly appreciate any info.
If you are using the factory computer it is already taken care of by the factory computer/wiring. The resistor thing is only for a 1998 f-body or a carb`d car.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

My set up is a carb. I ran my switch wire off of the factory resistor wire that ran the coil (the one with the white fiber cover). Got it to show 14 volts for a bit and now it is dropping. So.... I am still wondering about the resistor thing. IF anyone could help me out here I would greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 03 Truck alternator wiring question