Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00' Firebird V6 to V8 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00' Firebird V6 to V8 LS1 Swap

Going to start my LS1 swap. I just drove all the way to Arkansas from Ohio and back to pick it up I will definitely never do that again. But I picked up a 1999 Corvette LS1. The car that it will be going into will be a 2000 Firebird, that I have done pretty much every TA styling to that is possible with the exception of a Ram Air Hood. This is my first time doing anything really with an engine so by all means tell me if something seems out of way or wrong at all. I will be doing a complete write-up explaining what I did to get it up and running. Bare with me while I acquire all the parts. But once I have them all it is on!

Here are the list on Parts needed for the swap.
  1. LS1 Engine 28,000 miles ($2500)
  2. LS1 T56 Transmission 32,000 miles ($1400)
  3. Monster Stage 2 Clutch w/ Aluminum Flywheel ($650), could still use original LS1 clutch and flywheel
  4. LS1 K-Member ($50)
  5. Longtube LS1 Headers ($250), sold Corvette headers for $150
  6. DIY True Duals , could use stock exhaust
  7. Trans Am Engine Wiring Harness ($130)
  8. LS1 Ported Throttle Body ($35), sold Corvette TB for $50
  9. LS1 PCM (Need), sold Corvette PCM and harness for $400
  10. LS1 Steering Rack ($50)
  11. Manual Pedals and Throttle Cable ($50)

So far with everything I have bought and Everything I have sold off the Corvette motor I have $4,704.94 in it.
However if I didn't upgrade anything you could have it in the car for $3,784.94 if you want to reuse some parts (clutch, headers). It still is a big problem selling the corvette accessories for F-Body accessories though, so I would try to stay a way from that.

Below are just some of the sites i used for research but they are the best:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-w-pics.html
http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm

Here is the FireBird as of now(before some suspension mods and wheel spacers):

So with that here are some pics of the engine.

Here is the engine as I got it from the junkyard in Arkansas.

And after disassembling a few pieces for cleaning, paint, or even for sale....

Painted water pump and engine mounts (used Duplicolor 500 degree Aluminum Engine Paint & Engine Clear):

Here I painted the block using the same high temp Duplicolor aluminum engine paint. I first cleaned the block down with purple power degreaser and a small wire brush. Then washed that off with the water hose and repeated a couple times. Next I sprayed it down with lacquer thinner and wipe it off. I also taped off all the polished aluminum places on the block since I will polish them back up. Then I sprayed two coats waiting 10 min in between coats. So here is the pics enjoy.

Last edited by pemberton; 09-18-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good. Keep us posted with lots of pics.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Ohh I definitely will! thanks for lookin. I should be getting my intake manifold back from paint in a day or two though. I tried some dupicolor but I just wasn't pleased so I sent it to the body shop. Going to be gloss black then I'm painting my fuel rail covers bright red to match the car. Get kinda a red and black theme with the block painted silver. I just hope this paint doesn't peel. I am cleaning it with a wire brush and paint thinner, then base, then a clear (to make it easier to clean).

Last edited by pemberton; 06-15-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

im looking to do the same thing to my 1999 Firebird, i am looking for a 1999 or 2000 LS1 Motor. Email me dude so i can also jot dwn what you're doing inorder to do the same for mine once i get it. Email: edsonmoses@yahoo.com
Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Launching!

I think I'm gonna make this thread just the pictures an small detail kinda thread them I'll put a link at the top to a very detailed thread with step by step instructions and millions of pictures after I'm done, cause pictures are worth a million words. Thanks for the interest though!!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

No problem, GOOD LUCK!!! Ill be here to watch.lol
Old 06-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

i might be doin the same thing pretty soon. i wrecked my 99zm6 and now im lookin for somthin to swap my stuff into. found a couple cheap v6s in good shape (also found a 63 nova). so im gunna subscribe so i can keep tabs on your build.

are u using any other threads (links?) for info during your swap. or are u just wingin it?

btw...you stated above u need a ported tb, but the vette motor has a tb in the pic. cant u just port that one? its real easy.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice build. Keep us up with pics, And please, Do full bolt on's (Heads, Cam, LT's, True duals, UDP, ETC.).
Old 06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Launching!

About the throttle body. The Vettes and the Firebird have an electrical throttle body (drive by wire), and the Trans Am uses a cable controlled throttle body. You can make the Vette throttle body work but with quite a bit of work and parts (TAC module). It's just easier to work with. The website below shows you if your PCM can even allow drive by wire and how to make it work if it does.

http://lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm

I will also be doing longtube headers and wanted to do a cam while the engine is out of the car. But I wanted to see how the power is at stock since I haven't even drove an LS1, I also don't wanna throw something else in the mix that would make it even harder to get started since I have so much stuff on my hands right now. But I would say within a month or two I would go for a cam. Heads right now are just not in the budget.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Teching In

hey man, just got done with my swap. I found i need a v8 radiator as the v6 one will overheat while idling. I have some pedals if your interested. idk how far away you are. but im in nky. hit me up
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand what you mean by the t/b. When you get a performance t/b you have to take stuff of the stock t/b and put them on the new one. But for the headers and cam, It is easier to do everything while the motor is out. While the motor is in you have to take out radiator, Bumper, fan, and all that stuff for the cam. The headers will take you 16 hours. as for the heads, you can get them really cheap. Look on ebay. really good deals. I found some for 200 bucks 243 where scratched a little. But I really didn't want heads at that time.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Skorch I had heard of the radiator but the guys who had done the swap said they ended up using the V6 and it worked fine. Either way a radiator can be had for cheap. Thanks for the pedals but I already got some.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Also Bob asked if I was winging it and the answer is a definite no. LOL I have research quite a bit on everything that goes into the swap. If I listed all the sites that would be half a page long though.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

im the same way when it comes to big pojects. i usually do about a month of reading b4 i jump into it,lol. i was just wondering if u had one or two informative threads/links that i could chew on while i look for a car to swap my stuff into.
i found a 2000 v6 w/o motor & trans in great shape for 1900 on craigslist. but i wont be able to get it for a couple weeks. so i'l be looking for as much info i can while im waiting. anything u want to share would be appreciated
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Ask and you shall receive, these are the best of the best:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-w-pics.html
http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm
Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

SWEET!!! thanks dude
Old 06-17-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you pick up a new crank pulley? Vette pulley won't work with f-body accessories, its shorter. I didn't see anything specific in here about it, I found out the hard way when I swapped an LS6 into my 99 bird and the belt wouldn't line up. If you plan to use all the vette stuff it should work fine but I don't know about the wiring.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

These swaps crack me up. I will never understand and can never be convinced why it would be good to swap an LS1 into something that can be bought from the factory that way. The time and money spent swapping in the LS1 will far exceed what it would have taken to sell off the v6 car and buy an LS car. I do these swaps 7 days a week and can't understand this concept. In the end its a modified car that could have just been bought for less usually with all the work provided by GM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

One my car is worth around $5000 Maybe $6,000. Around here I haven't seen a TA go for $9,500. and I plan on having $3,500 in the swap which I am still on track money wise and I have the two biggest pieces. The rest can be bought at the junkyard for little value. Plus I get the experience and pride of having my own V8 built by me. Plus it will be better than GM made. I understand most people don't want to tackle the challenge, but cars are what I love and this what I love doing. Yes it's my first and yes it's gonna be hard but thats part of the fun.

Last edited by pemberton; 06-17-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
These swaps crack me up. I will never understand and can never be convinced why it would be good to swap an LS1 into something that can be bought from the factory that way. The time and money spent swapping in the LS1 will far exceed what it would have taken to sell off the v6 car and buy an LS car. I do these swaps 7 days a week and can't understand this concept. In the end its a modified car that could have just been bought for less usually with all the work provided by GM.
i wasnt gunna reply to this f**ing ignorant post, but i changed my mind after reading it a couple times;

i bought a plush 99 z28 hardtop m6 w/68k five months ago for 6 grand and last saturday i wrecked it. not bad, but the body did get tweaked. it was my first accident and the normal thing to do would be to turn it in to insurance, have them declare it totaled and cut me a fat check......well........ since it was paid for (and i hardly ever drove it) i didnt put full coverage on it live & learn i guess

i found a 2000 v6 roller in perfect shape for 1900obo. so... 'meanyellowZ'... this swap would seem the cheapest and easiest way for me to get back behind the wheel of a ls1 equipped vehicle wouldnt it? im not tryin to start **** btw, i just want to point out how stupid and ignorant u sound. some people cant afford to by a z28/ss so they get a v6 knowing that they can switch motors later.

Quick Reply: 00' Firebird V6 to V8 LS1 Swap