Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What degree do you mount the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What degree do you mount the engine?

What degree pitch do you mount an LS1 engine? And where do you take the reading from? Any information that anyone can give would be a great help.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think it matters, just get your driveline angles right. that will pretty much be what you have to work around.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

3 or 4 is what i was told but as long as its no 0 degrees it should be alright. a surface parrallel to the crank. front of heads or top of block if you have it apart.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt bother checking the angle of my motor. 3-4 degrees could be the difference between being on a perfectly level surface or on a slight hill. You can always adjust the angle with the trans mount with plates. I ended up putting a couple little spacers under my trans mount just to help get my driveline where I wanted it, but now that I know how to actually set my pinion angle correctly Ill be taking the spacers back out.

I think its pretty forgiving if you just use good judgement and try to make it so its not at some crazy angle.

J.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Make sure the chassis is level before you start (both front-to-back and side-to-side), then check to see if any of the bushings are worn out on the rear axle. This seems to be pretty common on the A & G bodies we've mocked up on. Then measure the the pinion angle on the rear axle. The pinion angle will dictate the angle of the of the engine. This is going to be important to prevent driveline vibrations. You'll want to keep the angle on the front u-joint the same (or as close as possible) as the rear u-joint. and you'll want to make sure that you never run a zero angle on a u-joint. A zero angle will kill a u-joint since the needle bearings won't move. I try to get the angle on the u-joint between 3-5 degrees.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by BRPhotrods
Make sure the chassis is level before you start (both front-to-back and side-to-side), then check to see if any of the bushings are worn out on the rear axle. This seems to be pretty common on the A & G bodies we've mocked up on. Then measure the the pinion angle on the rear axle. The pinion angle will dictate the angle of the of the engine. This is going to be important to prevent driveline vibrations. You'll want to keep the angle on the front u-joint the same (or as close as possible) as the rear u-joint. and you'll want to make sure that you never run a zero angle on a u-joint. A zero angle will kill a u-joint since the needle bearings won't move. I try to get the angle on the u-joint between 3-5 degrees.
Very good writeup.

Quick Reply: What degree do you mount the engine?