Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using an F-body alternator with a GTO harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Using an F-body alternator with a GTO harness

The LS2 I got from a 2006 GTO was involved in a pretty bad accident. The front swaybar got pushed into the alternator, and it broke a bunch of fins. I read on one of the sponsors sites that the GTO alternator is bigger, and I'd have a better shot at fitting the F-Body alternator. I bought an F-body alternator and I realized that this isn't going to be a plug and play deal... The F-body alternator has 4 pins (I realize that only one is actually used) The GTO Alternator has 2 pins and both appear to be used in the harness...

Is there a way to re-wire this F-Body alternator to work with the GTO harness/PCM? or am I SOL, and will have to find a new GTO alternator.

Here are the pics.

GTO Alternator

F-Body Alternator
Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just find your local auto electrical repair shop and have them replace the case
Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's not very helpful. You can check both alternator wiring diagrams and get the connector and make sure the wiring matches. You will have no problems.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

From what I understand, the F-body alternator only uses one pin for the Charge lamp in the cluster. The GTO alternator is externally controlled from the PCM... Im hoping someone here has run into this problem before. I deffinately don't mind making modifications to make it work, just want to make sure that I don't damage anything in the process.

Steve
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

came across this on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...item56393ad3a2
Old 07-19-2010, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

I found a couple of places that sell the connector with a little of the harness, I Just want to know how I can adapt the Camaro alternator into the GTO harness, and still have everything work the way it's supposed to.

BTW, Thanks for the link, That's a couple of bucks cheaper than the other places I looked...
Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The F-body alternator is expecting a signal from the PCM to turn it on and off, the GTO alternator, has one wire that goes back in to the harness and is the sense wire and the other goes to the charge light, sort of like the old 12SI alternators were wired. If you're doing a swap in to an older GM, that used the idiot light, you can just hook it up to that terminal.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Teching In

On my 04 gto ls1 I used a 99 tahoe alt. because the gto one was too big. I just ran one wire into the car (12v+)with a 500ohm into the car. Not sure how different the ls2 ares. 04 Engine harness doesn't have the alt. wire in the harness..
Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Give this a shot

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...aq-thread.html
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket

That has the Camaro, Truck, and Corvette Alternators, but No GTO... Anyone have the schematic for the GTO alternators?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:16 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I don`t have a schematic for the 06 GTO. I did find this on for the 04 though https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...012-large-.jpg Looks like the GTO alternator was wired up the same as the older delco 10 and 12 Si alts. You can use the f-body alt, but it will require a little bit of re-wiring. Take the wire that goes to pin A of the GTO alt and throw it away. The wire that goes to pin B of the GTO alt and connect it to pin B of the f-body alt. That takes care of the engine side. If your using the GTO cluster your good to go, if your not, you will have to connect the brown wire at connector 106 (I think its pin #1) and connect it to the idiot light in your dash or a 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor (see thee alternator FAQ thread for the rest of that hookup)
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G-Body
Well I don`t have a schematic for the 06 GTO. I did find this on for the 04 though https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...012-large-.jpg Looks like the GTO alternator was wired up the same as the older delco 10 and 12 Si alts. You can use the f-body alt, but it will require a little bit of re-wiring. Take the wire that goes to pin A of the GTO alt and throw it away. The wire that goes to pin B of the GTO alt and connect it to pin B of the f-body alt. That takes care of the engine side. If your using the GTO cluster your good to go, if your not, you will have to connect the brown wire at connector 106 (I think its pin #1) and connect it to the idiot light in your dash or a 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor (see thee alternator FAQ thread for the rest of that hookup)
[Mr Burns}Excellent!!!!![\Mr Burns]

That is Exactally what I was looking for. Looks like I will be giving it a go with the F-body alternator... I haven't decided if I'm going to use the GTO cluster or no, but I might! I'll order the new connector for the F-body alternator and wire it up!

Thanks!
Steve
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G-Body
G-Body, I have another question for you. I posted over on LS1GTO trying to get ahold of an 06 schematic to verify that it's the same, and I had a reply that says,

"They are not the same. The LS2 (GTO) alternator uses the PCM for field control while the LS2 (I think he meant LS1 camaro) has an internal regulator. If you use a different alternator it may work, but there will probably be a permanent code set. "

Looking though thee alternator thread, I noticed that the F-body alternator has a line labled Field Control... That got me wondering, Can I hook up the stock GTO white wire to the Field control on the F-body alternator and have it function properly?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

That has the Camaro, Truck, and Corvette Alternators, but No GTO... Anyone have the schematic for the GTO alternators?
I thought the original question was to wire in a Fbody alt as simple as possible. An IGN wire and a resistor accomplishes this. It may be done from the GTO alt pigtail but since info is sparse, use what you've got or cough up the money for an AllData account
Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

It looks like I'll give it a go running the stock F-body alternator, and the harness from E-bay. I was trying to figure out a way to use a much cheaper and more readily available F-body alternator instead of the pretty scarce and expensive GTO specific alternator. I bought a whole GTO so that I knew that everything worked together, So I'll give it a go, and report back. If anything, I may get a HO alternator for the GTO, they are cheaper than the oem replacements anyway...

Thanks for the help
Steve
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I`m not sure if the 04 and 06 are the same. I just found my way back into the chilton online manuals but the library edition does not include any info on the 04-06 GTO`s
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

Your GTO alternator looks like it uses the same system as the 06 Silverado. The 99-04 or 05 truck has the same plug as the f-body alternator you show there, but the later ones 06, maybe 05 have the newer style.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

Just checking to see if things worked out? I have an '06 GTO LS2, harness and computer. I've converted it over to Vette accessories including the alternator. I have the Deserttaco's problem but with the Vette alternator. The '05 and '06 GTO's use the PCM for field control.

Anyone know how to hook-up a vette alternator to a GTO harness/computer?
Attached Thumbnails Using an F-body alternator with a GTO harness-2006-gto-alternator-wiring.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

I actually gave up on the F-body alternator, and picked up a couple extra GTO alternators. I also picked up a silverado alternator that has the same plug as the GTO one. The engine is still in Mockup phase, so I have no idea if it works, but I will hopefully know by summer.

Good luck please post what you find.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

I think I'm good to go! Recall that I've converted over to the Vette accessories. The 2006 Vette alternator has the same "Generator Field Duty Cycle Signal" and "Generator Turn On Signal" as the GTO. Wire colors are even the same color! There is a third wire that goes to the battery/power source. Anyone know if it is necessary?
Attached Thumbnails Using an F-body alternator with a GTO harness-2006-vette-alternator.gif  

Quick Reply: Using an F-body alternator with a GTO harness