Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So the junkyard screwed me a little

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So the junkyard screwed me a little

I got my 5.3 05 truck motor complete with all the wiring, etc, etc. When it arrived the throttle body DBW connection was broke, the pins where there but the casing around it was snapped off. I asked and they said it was fine, just cosmetic, so I reluctantly accepted it. I test fired today, and it really wanted to run, stumbled, ran for about 2 seconds at a clip, so I hook up my ODB tool. Here are the codes:

P0120 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit
P0220 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit
P1516 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P2101 - Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range/Performance

Weird thing is with the truck in the "run" position, I can push the gas pedal and here the TB actuating. I guess it's just part way broke.

It's the DBW TB right guys? Just double checking with the experts. Also, I haven't got it programmed yet, but have been told it will run for 10 seconds even with the VATS on.

Orlando

Last edited by oteixeira; 07-31-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 07-31-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Thats semicommon for a "junkyard". Some "salvage yards" are more professional and thinking of their customer. When you purchase a engine, you need to clearify detials like this and make sure they have the desire to "make things right"
Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Hey Orlando, I know all too well about getting screwed over by salvage yards. I would get another throttle body though. Sometimes you can find them on here in the parts section for fairly cheap.

Not sure about the codes, but your engine is not going to run for 10 seconds with the VATS on, more like the 2 seconds like it's doing now. At least all the truck motors I've started with VATS on only ran that long. LS1's seem to run a little longer, but it's only about 4 or 5 seconds. I would get the VATS tuned out and go from there. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

OK, just ordered a new TB on ebay, found one for a good deal, and couldn't find one on the for sale second of the site. 55.00 to my door, not bad at all. Thanks for the tips Bob. I bet by now you are wondering if I am ever going to finish this thing! I am slow as I go! lol Once I know the engine is the way I want I need to pull the cab. I am replacing the whole floor, corners, and rockers, which I have here already. This thing is going to hit the road one day.

Orlando
Old 08-01-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Now you know whick junkyard not to go to next time.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

So a big thank you to Trifecta, I told them what I wanted, they got me a cable for my laptop in 2 days, and emailed me my program for the truck and a program to get it on the truck. Put on a new (to me) throttle body, and it started on the first shot. Runs like a wild beast right now, just exhaust manifolds and pipe with o2's letting out under the cab! WOOO HOOOO

Orlando
Old 08-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orlando...ra/4861508406/

It lives ^^

Quick Reply: So the junkyard screwed me a little