Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

run or not to run a fuel regulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run or not to run a fuel regulator

I am putting a ls1 in my 67 camaro, A buddy of mine had a shop put his in his nova and they did not run a regulator they ran a msd pump with a 98 corvette fuel filter with the return in the filter looks nice and clean. The shop that did this builds some fast cars and never here anything bad about the shop. What i have researched says that fuel pressure is very important in the ls1 so I tend to think it will need the regulator. Another thing is they still use an air flow meter, most people take them out of the computer does this help tune the car better. Just trying to get some thoughts on this , thanks Don
Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

You must have a regulator of some sort. The Vette filter IS also a regulator...not sure exactly what you are asking??
Old 08-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
The Vette filter IS also a regulator...
^Speaks the truth.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
You must have a regulator of some sort. The Vette filter IS also a regulator...not sure exactly what you are asking??
yup...
Old 08-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Default fuel regulator

Is the vette fuel filter enough of a regulator or do you need to run a real regulator?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

depends on your fuel needs if a vette set-up will be enough. anything more than a mild build i would run a fpr and bigger fuel lines. if its just a stock bolt on build the vette filter will do fine up to a cam and maybe mild heads. more than that fuel flow will need to increase more than a vette filter can provide. will be the flow that increases not really the psi, if you need to up psi you need more flow. the afm will be good on a daily setup that can acount for temp and elevation changes, but a weekend cruser or track car can get a with out it, think its called a charge tune or something. again build will play a part if its feasible to run without, but unless there is a reason not to run it why worry about it?

just kinda rambled a bit, hope it makes sense lol
Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thebigkeebler
Is the vette fuel filter enough of a regulator or do you need to run a real regulator?
I ran the stock filter/regulator on my 01 Z06 with 640rwhp and it worked just fine, not ideal as it does have some pressure drop without a return right off the rails but it does work.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

I'm using a vette filter on my project also. An I never suggest getting rid of the MAF. Alot of tuners delete it to make it easier for them but it's very important. The MAF will allow you to have a better idle also keepeing it.

Quick Reply: run or not to run a fuel regulator