Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotwire Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Hotwire Kit??

I Have been reading about these hotwire kits for fuel pumps (Walbro 255) and am wondering if I need to purchase one or not. A lot of the threads say that older EFI cars need these kits becuase the wiring is not heavy enough but if I am using the harness that came with my 2004 tahoe engine and was modded by current performance do I still need the hotwire kit??

Background info:
1987 Monte Carlo SS
2004 tahoe 5.3L engine
New aftermarket Monte EFI tank and sending unit
Walbro 255 pump

So should I get a hotwire kit?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, you live in Dover DE too. I am also in the process of installing a LS1 in a 87 Monte SS.

hotwire kits are good for high output OEM applications but are not necessary in your situation since you will have to run the wires for the pump. Simply ensure you are using wire that is a size or so larger than the factory used and you shoud be fine.

Re'
Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I Have been reading about these hotwire kits for fuel pumps (Walbro 255) and am wondering if I need to purchase one or not. A lot of the threads say that older EFI cars need these kits becuase the wiring is not heavy enough but if I am using the harness that came with my 2004 tahoe engine and was modded by current performance do I still need the hotwire kit??
Most recommend the kit for no good reason and going by wire size, most hotwire kits fail miserably. Only a handful actually go inside the tank which is where the smallest wiring is located so no matter how big the wiring is outside, it will neck down at the external connector

Older carb cars require a fuel pump wire to be ran since they simply didnt have an electric pump. EFI cars did and GM used plenty large enough wire for any stock or mild upgrade pumps (walbro 255's etc). Most used 14-16ga wire stock, which will carry quite a bit more power than most people think. These 10-12ga hotwire kits are more for race cars with massive pumps that really draw some power. Besides, your LSx fuseblock should come equipped with a fuel pump relay which is the main part of the kits. Just connect the 12v output from the relay to the 12v side of the pump and run a new ground to the chassis. Simple
Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, thanks for clearing up my question guys. I really appreciate the honest answers and am much more happy about not needing to shell out more money for something that is not necessary. I'll wire my Walbro with the length of cord supplied to we when Current Performance re-did my computer and harness.

R&C: nice to see someone else with a G-body in Dover. How far along on your swap are you?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Racetronix has many good wire and pump kit for many GM (and other) cars. You might be able to use one othem.

I used their B-Body (Impala) kit on my Chevelle with a 95 Impala tank. very nice kit that included heavy gauge hot wire, relay, connectors and Walbro pump.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
R&C: nice to see someone else with a G-body in Dover. How far along on your swap are you?
Just placed the engine in it this past weekend for mock up purposes. Lots of work ahead. Car actually belongs to a friend of mine but I am doing the swap because he knows nothing about these things and I have done several swaps in the past.

Re'
Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

R&C: Your situation is about the same as mine lol. I will be painting up my engine bay this weekend and then mock up will begin. If I read and understood everything as well as I think I did I shouldn't need too many mock up attempts. However I am using my friends shop and his general knowledge of engine swaps (not really LSx swaps). We are all learning as we go...my car is kind of the guinea pig for us to learn from.

Quick Reply: Hotwire Kit??