Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best gen III oil pan for oil control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best gen III oil pan for oil control?

I'm just starting to build a 2wd off-road racing truck, kinda along the lines of a light pro-2 corr truck. Trying to set the engine as low as possible w/o sticking any part lower than the frame, and the truck pans I have kicking around are the worst possible pan for ground clearance/engine height.

So far I've found 3 suitable pans to lower the engine - the ls1 f-body, ls1/6 y-body batwing, and the ls2 y-body.

Seems like the y-body pans give me 1/2 more clearance (compared to the f-body) that I don't know if I even need, but what I'm wondering which pan would do the best job of keeping oil by the pickup in rough driving conditions (jumping, etc). I'm guessing the batwing, but don't know how good the ls2 pan is for oil control.

Anyone who's seen them both in person have any opinions on which would control oil better terrrain wise? I'm not really leaning towards the f-body, but if its better than the other two, well, Ill get it.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out the f-body pan will work just as good, the tranny has 5* angle built in, and the f-body pan has just under 5*, so it will clear just as good as a corvette pan. Looks like I'm going to use the f-body one since it's easy to find. I'll see what I can do about baffling it if that looks like a problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO the "best" pan for oil control and ground clearance would be an LS7 dry sump. Expensive, but the “best” performer.

Of the three you list I say the LS2 vette pan. It was specifically designed to replace the bat wing pan which has been shown to perform badly in high G scenarios. Here is an article supporting this statement.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ure/index.html

A guy on another site put a piston through his block when using a bat wing pan on the track. Plus the bat wing pan looks like a nightmare to work around.

I’m not sure how the F body pan compares to the LS2 pan as far as oil control. My guess is not as well since it is an older design, but that is just a guess.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

The overall shape and internal baffling is similar, Id wager they're pretty close