Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CA smog law. Bad news!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only are our ls1 conversions in danger of being axed, but now some factory original cars wont pass california smog.

These are some of the import vehicles that are known to have readiness issues. Some of these factory original cars listed below will have problems complying with the new california law!!!!!!!!!

96-98 mitsubishi
96 subarus
97 toyota tercel, and paseo
96-98 volvos
96-98 saabs
96-97 nissan 200sx

More Info: http://www.aa1car.com/library/ic10224.htm

http://www.njrec.org/Downloads/OBD_Probs2.pdf

Last edited by Born-again 7; 09-03-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Next they will be checking California drivers for impure thoughts.

We had emissions stations here in Florida. Then a new governor came in and said they were a waste of money and poof! They were all gone. Haven't heard another word about emissions testing in 10 years.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Next they will be checking California drivers for impure thoughts.

We had emissions stations here in Florida. Then a new governor came in and said they were a waste of money and poof! They were all gone. Haven't heard another word about emissions testing in 10 years.
Want to send that governor out this way, I think he could do some good things out here in CA
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

This is what happens when liberals are in office. Trying to buy and own guns is even more difficult and thats a God given right enumerated by the second ammendment...

What!?!?!?
You goofing Ross?
The new car sales and manufactureres (READ Republicans and bussiness persons) have bought Cali's politicians so people can't swap in a more efficent engine with out jumping through some rediculous loop holes.
Stop blaming the Librals and start voting and paying attention to who the real culprits are.
You would think that putting a newer engine in an older car-there by reducing emmissions and increasing mpg that CARB reglators would be tickled pink with happiness and bending over backwards to pass people, but sadly politicians (both Dems and repubs are for sale to the highest bidder!)

Also, we should all be emmission compliant -regarding tail pipe emissions in our daily drivers, unless of course it just the occasional use drag vehicle.
It's the socially responsible thing to do for our children and our grand children...ect....JMHO.

BTW, restricting this librals rights to own guns....you'll have to pry them out of my cold-dead hands!

Last edited by brian g; 08-28-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RossRinSD
Really? Where do you think all this crap started? Its been getting worse since the 70's as more and more states adopt CA and NY testing procedures. You may be okay now, but when your elected representatives get bored or aren't making enough money, they open CA's law books and copy, verbatim often, our laws and implement them. I didn't say it would happen overnight, I said eventually. And there is nothing to stop the federal government from devising a standardized test and subjecting all of us to it.

Nothing is guaranteed.
When did: "..of the people, by the people, and for the people.." get repealed?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Isolde
When did: "..of the people, by the people, and for the people.." get repealed?
When tree hugging fools got listened to and were allowed to pass laws (regulations)

CARB is a joke, just like saying C02 is a green house gas.

Liberals are the issue (now the progressives and notice I did not say a party)

Watch who you vote for, they put the judges on the benches who tell us what to do even after we vote for it.

The smog checks were in Fairfield, and I have seen them there before.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 AM

Yes may all tree hugging hippies die a slow and painful death and choke on the same saliva they used to spit on the brave fearless soldiers returning from Vietnam at the airport. Die hippies die! (I should have changed my screen name to Hippie Killer with an Eric Cartman avatar.)

I too live in California, and just another reason why I hate this state, I was wondering what all would I need to do to make my swap legal. I want to swap an LM7 into an s14. I know you can't swap truck motors into passenger cars but I heard that entails using certain parts associated with the truck engine. Those 5.3 motors can be found everywhere and I want one to drop into this s14 I've been eying because my neighbor who owns a Porsche 911 talks way too much *&^%.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ghostavenger
Yes may all tree hugging hippies die a slow and painful death and choke on the same saliva they used to spit on the brave fearless soldiers returning from Vietnam at the airport. Die hippies die! (I should have changed my screen name to Hippie Killer with an Eric Cartman avatar.)

I too live in California, and just another reason why I hate this state, I was wondering what all would I need to do to make my swap legal. I want to swap an LM7 into an s14. I know you can't swap truck motors into passenger cars but I heard that entails using certain parts associated with the truck engine. Those 5.3 motors can be found everywhere and I want one to drop into this s14 I've been eying because my neighbor who owns a Porsche 911 talks way too much *&^%.
This statement (in bold) is not true. I am a licensed smog tech and I have also spoken directly to a BAR technical adviser on this matter. He stated that it is ok to swap a light truck motor into a car, and vice versa because they have the same smog equipment. However it is not legal to swap a heavy duty truck motor into a car or vice versa because the smog equipment is different. With that being said a Silverado/Sierra/Yukon etc 5.3, 4.8, 6.0 is ok to swap into a car as long as ALL emissions components are there such as HO2S, EGR, AIR, Cats, EVAP. Any questions. Please feel free to PM me.

ALSO, I haven't heard anything on this law about the readiness monitors, nor have I heard anything about banning LS engine swaps. It would be too hard to enforce IMO. I havent had any issues with vehicles passing smog, not even the one's you listed. Usually the readiness monitors are good unless a battery has been replaced, disconnected, or the codes in the PCM cleared. Just My .02 Take it or leave it.

Matt

ASE Certified, EA Licensed Smog Tech
Old 08-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS
This statement (in bold) is not true. I am a licensed smog tech and I have also spoken directly to a BAR technical adviser on this matter. He stated that it is ok to swap a light truck motor into a car, and vice versa because they have the same smog equipment. However it is not legal to swap a heavy duty truck motor into a car or vice versa because the smog equipment is different. With that being said a Silverado/Sierra/Yukon etc 5.3, 4.8, 6.0 is ok to swap into a car as long as ALL emissions components are there such as HO2S, EGR, AIR, Cats, EVAP. Any questions. Please feel free to PM me.

ALSO, I haven't heard anything on this law about the readiness monitors, nor have I heard anything about banning LS engine swaps. It would be too hard to enforce IMO. I havent had any issues with vehicles passing smog, not even the one's you listed. Usually the readiness monitors are good unless a battery has been replaced, disconnected, or the codes in the PCM cleared. Just My .02 Take it or leave it.

Matt

I just smogged my 87 elky so now I have 2 years to do the 5.3 swap.

Do you do diesels and are you close? I have an LBZ that has to be smogged now and have just put everything on/off I need to get r done.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Born and raised in Crapifornia all 47 years of my life, nothing surprises me
with these state and local county governments.

Controversial motorcycle bill passes in California.
http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/...-in-california

California Senate to vote today on historic plastic bag ban.
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...stic-bag-ban/1

My wife and I are fixing up our house to sell so we can get the hell out of
this nightmare.

FUQUE CALIFORNIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bearcatt
California Senate to vote today on historic plastic bag ban.
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...stic-bag-ban/1

My wife and I are fixing up our house to sell so we can get the hell out of
this nightmare.

FUQUE CALIFORNIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheese and Rice did you read some of the other articles on that page? Makes me want to pull my hair out.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i don't think it's fair a motorcycle can be heard from a mile away and my car has to be as quiet as a ****** honda but that plastic bag law is ****** retarded
Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
i don't think it's fair a motorcycle can be heard from a mile away and my car has to be as quiet as a ****** honda but that plastic bag law is ****** retarded
Yeah, but we have a Harvey Milk day in the schools ...

I guess there's some benefit to having my legal residence in Kansas and most of my cars registered there.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FBJR
I just smogged my 87 elky so now I have 2 years to do the 5.3 swap.

Do you do diesels and are you close? I have an LBZ that has to be smogged now and have just put everything on/off I need to get r done.
I'm located in the Bay Area, but honestly I haven't done a diesel yet.... go figure... and as long as you do the swap legally.... you're good... but I know that most dont take the extra steps to make it legal. Although the restrictions are ridiculous.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Controversial motorcycle bill passes in California.
http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/...-in-california
NICE!
So glad about this bill. I'm sick and ****** tired of every Harley owner removing their baffles from their pipes.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

"ALSO, I haven't heard anything on this law about the readiness monitors, nor have I heard anything about banning LS engine swaps. It would be too hard to enforce IMO. I havent had any issues with vehicles passing smog, not even the one's you listed. Usually the readiness monitors are good unless a battery has been replaced, disconnected, or the codes in the PCM cleared. Just My .02 Take it or leave it.
Matt
ASE Certified, EA Licensed Smog Tech[/QUOTE]

Something fishy is going on. Im only repeating what the test only stations in my area have told me. If you're right about this, the test only stations in my area are trying to scam San Diego motorists. If so, the BAR should be notified. I will call some test only stations in the bay area, maybe I will be driving up to your neck of the woods!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RossRinSD
The rest of the country seems to adopt our laws as models for their own. Whatever craphole ideas they come up with this year will be your guys' craphole laws eventually, too.
LOL, not here in MI! We dont even have emissions testing. They dont even look at the car. You bring the title in, pay the fee's and walk out with your plate. Worst case a cop might ticket you for having too loud of an exhaust, at which point you just have another cop sign the ticket saying you fixed it
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS

Matt

I just called four test only stations up and down the california coast. One in san fransisco, san luis obisbo, holywood, and bakersfield. Like i said, the law went into effect July.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Born-again 7
I just called four test only stations up and down the california coast. One in san fransisco, san luis obisbo, holywood, and bakersfield. Like i said, the law went into effect July.

At least crapifornia smog techs will have job security.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Born-again 7
Ok well I stand corrected, I haven't heard the law until now, but I've only worked in Test and Repair Stations where we rarely have cars fail. I also read through BAR's newsletter but I didn't see the law either.... But it sounds about right that BAR wouldn't put anything into their newsletter. I also hear that there's legislation on the books to change the existing laws again to an OBDII and a visual inspection for 1996-up cars (no tailpipe emissions).

Quick Reply: New CA smog law. Bad news!