Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Voltage?

My LS1 is throwing a code for the front 02's saying that the voltage is low. Anyone know what could be the cause of this? I checked the insulation and connection, nothing is burned or loosened.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Unplug them and flick the IGN on. Check the voltage. If it's low then do a continuity test from the pink wires to the fuse point. Anything higher than 1.5ohms is a problem, it should be obvious though. From there it goes to your IGN relay or IGN switch depending on how you have it wired, repeat the test. Sometimes the old IGN switch contacts get corroded and build up excessive resistance. Good thing they're cheap and easy to swap

If it's not in those problems, then the entire system has a fault. Bad alt/batt/grounds etc
Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that info, i'll get it checked tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an 01 4.8l truck do the same, changed alot of stuff, turned out to be dirty mass airflow sensor. I was able to clean the dust off it with a q-tip, problem gone.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

MAF function has zero bearing on system/component voltage. If the MAF IGN wire is shorted, the excessive drain may case a small issue until the fuse is blown, but a dirty MAF will NOT drop the system voltage

FWIW, never touch the MAF filaments with anything, fingers, quetips, etc. MAFs are cleaned with a spray, nothing else. The filaments are VERY delicate and you risk ruining an expensive component
Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wasnt shorted, it was dirty, which caused the airflow meter to not detect the amount of air that was actually going through it. engine ran lean enough to casue a low voltage in sensor 1 bank 1.
The ecu uses voltage to comunicate back and fourth with the sensors. low voltage description of a trouble code does not necessarily means total system voltage, just sensor output. in my case it meant excessively lean.
Just throwing my experiences out there, hoping it may help the OP

Quick Reply: Voltage?