Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 and 200-4r to L92 / T56 in 71 Chevelle convertible...now Gen V LT1 6L80e swapping

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Great looking car, Nice project.

LK
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
What kind of rod bearing issues are you havin?
Not entirely sure at this point, but I hope to know more on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Thanks Al. Don't you have the hard top twin of my car over on TC?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure the issue, i'm not going to dive into anything or turn the engine over at all until he hears it. All I know is after priming the motor, it fired up immediately, but is making a hellacious noise. I only let it run long enough to have a holy **** moment. You can hear it over straight headers. Not being my car i'll let Stuart decide if he wants to start it again and listen to it.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

Gotcha I've heard that these motors can be a bitch to get thoroughly primed and they make a hell of a racket. I seen a couple threads where guys had to way overfill the oil to get it all primed up. I will see if I can find the thread and post it up here.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Here this sounds like it might be along the same line. Disregard all the gauge problems.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...s-clatter.html
Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone ever just plug the truck radiator in their Chevelle? I am curious if it would fit. I'm just thinking all of the hose connections and such would be the right size.

LK
Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would disconnecting the coil packs and using the starter to turn it over prime it?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Would disconnecting the coil packs and using the starter to turn it over prime it?
Why don't yall post a video of the noise so we can hear it and maybe we can help you try to diagnoss it. I will tell you, the LS's valvetrain makes a little noise...

Also did you use another oil pan? and when you did, did they make sure the windage tray cleared or the o-ring was not pinched or the pickup is in the correct position... I have heard of cases where sometimes the pickups have to be modified a bit....

What oil are you using and filter.... If you have an oil gauge, where did you tap into to get the oil pressure reading?

Also there is a member here GFAN who is selling a LS2 with milled L92 heads,ported TB and intake, dyno'd 469rwhp/420rwtq through an A4, 227/235 114+3 LSL lobed cam..... He is swapping it out for a HKE 416 he had Eric build here in Houston and I know nothing is wrong with that LS2 he has. It is or was in his 06 GTO..... If your interested just send him a pm...... And I am sure he has tons of videos of it running. If a replacement is an option and nothing is wrong with the one you got.

Also check with Sewell Motors in Dallas. They are a dealership that periododically sells new LY6's, 6.0/L92 heads for around $3000-3500 pan-intake.... They ship as well....

Bozz

Last edited by bozzhawg; 02-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Nice build looks like it's starting to come along now.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckd71
This is how I do it, except I unhook injectors and coils. I did this before starting it, it had pressure. Then after I started it, it didn't have any.

Someone said something about the windage tray on the ctsv pan, hmm
Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I picked the car up from my exhaust guy earlier, and while I was there I re primed the oil pump by turning it over with coils unhooked again. I took a battery charger so I didn't run that dead, turned over turned over turned over, let it take a break, and did it some more and got it at 45lbs. I fired it up, still has the bad noise. I let it run long enough to try to listen...I wonder what it would sound like if crank was tapping the windage tray? I've never personally had one do it, but its a possiblilty. Its definately in the bottom end. It seemed to change sound this time, by that I mean it was hammering and changed tone. I'm still up in the air on what it is.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The windage tray that came with the cts pan was identical to the one already on it, I only swapped it since I had already taken the old one off. Turning the motor over by hand I never heard it hit anything.

I just got back in town and am going to bed but will try and get a video tomorrow.
Wix filter, summit racing oil, gauge is tapped into the block off plate on the pan. LS2 would be nice but I need to save some money for getting the top put on and the dent fixed. I think I have something lined up here, but depending on what he wants for the ls2 it might be worth considering.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tried to make a video but the audio turned out shitty so I'll try with a better camera tomorrow.
Getting back to the tv cable pictures mentioned above, the tv cable does in fact go through the silver bracket provided in the BTO kit, something the instruction don't mention. They do however mention that they recommend you not leave a pressure gauge hooked up to the trans. When I called them to ask why they said there was no downside to doing so other than routing lines around the exhaust, and that mounting something like this -http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Cod e=801100&Category_Code= in the dash would not be a problem if done correctly. Considering how finicky this trans is about it's tv cable I like the idea of always being able to tell if something is wrong.
Evl, everything is pretty much together and all the stuff I didn't have time to do is pretty much done. All things considered the pulling of the motor and taking a peek inside won't be that big of a job for me, it's just going to delay the overall "finish" date by a while. It's not the end of the world, and for the time being at least the weather is on our side. The plan was to be finished some time in March, and I fairly certain that will still be a possibility, though I might wait until this fall to get the dented fender fixed, depending on how long the shop says it will take them. As it is, everything looks fantastic I'd say. Sounds like dick but that is temporary, and I've learned my lesson about motors from salvage yards - if you buy one without hearing it get it checked out.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Still don't have a good video, but I have digging around on youtube and it sounds kind of like this, more like the second or third one. Kind of like metal popcorn popping around inside, there are kind of periods where the noise sort of goes away or 'floats', I don't know. James might chime in, but this is what I recall hearing, basically.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7TuBUwi64k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocLB...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bAOAf5xFjE

It kind of sounds like a lifter as well, but at least to me the sound seems to move. Is there a way to check lifters on these without pulling the heads? They looked decent when I had them out before.

Last edited by chuckd71; 02-17-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

You can pull off one plug wire at a time to see if it gets quiet on any one cylinder. If it does, it is likely a rod bearing or wrist pin failure.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tried that and it didn't tell us anything, the pics should explain why. When I had this apart the first time I saw nothing that would lead me to expect anything like this. Rather than try to fix this motor I'm going to move on and get something else, I just hope the cam can be salvaged. Between this and getting the header out I think I've said more profane words today than I have in a long time, but overall I'm kind of looking forward to building something better.

I was looking forward to doing more driving and less spending of money but I guess sometimes **** happens. Could always be worse. Luckily almost everything else is good to go so swapping in a motor should be straightforward from here. Also, I'm not pointing at anything in that last pic, I'm just holding up the rod. Other than the pipe bomb that went off somewhere there is nothing in particular to take notice of. Once a motor is in and running the plan is to take a **** ton of pics of the various locations of things, clearances and etc in the hopes of making this thread at least somewhat useful to people in the future.

Last edited by chuckd71; 02-17-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Ouch.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just threw up a little in my mouth....sorry man, that sucks.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, When you guys first started it, did you check the fuel pressure and make sure your getting a good fuel pressure reading? I wonder if it was running lean or too much timing on the tune... Who tuned it ?

Did yall data log it and check the fuel tables... you ought to data log the fuel table and freeze or save the fuel trim and tables.....

I seen something like this when the car was running excessively lean/high timing and the fuel pressure was low. The culprit was a failing fuel pump.

Once again if you don't do a complete rebuild or short block, check out GFAN/ Frank, or a brand new LY6 from Sewell.....

Or HKE(Eric sales a stout forged 408 shortblock for $3800, you have the heads... or get you some LS3's for $363 a piece.....

I am just saying you got options, I hate to see that ****, but look at it this way, at least your not out of $5000+

And now you can build what you want......lol

Bozz
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang that sucks, I guess that would expalain the noise!
Keep your head up, and get moving on the new build/engine.
If you are like me then it may be a good oppurtunity to change things for the better. I know there are things I would do different.
Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: LS1 and 200-4r to L92 / T56 in 71 Chevelle convertible...now Gen V LT1 6L80e swapping