Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to drop an LS1 into my Foxbody

Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to drop an LS1 into my Foxbody

Hey guys, i know this is going to probably annoy you because youve seen 100s of threads like this...i just kinda suck with the search.

Anyway atm i have 1984 mustang gt, with a 306..H/C/I, full exhaust, 4.10 geared..

Nothing compares with LS1 after owning my 98z..

My question is, what would be easier, cheaper, and make good power? 5.7 or 5.3?

also i heard that instead of buying a $350 aje tubular kmember, i can just buy a 4.6 mustang gt kmember and fabricate the mounting..Does a t56 6speed transmission have no problem being installed? Is there a store that already sells custom driveshafts? I know i can get custom headers/cut the flanges and reweld and w/e..id rather buy stuff already fabricated.

Im pretty sure it would be pretty simple installing the engine...the only obstacle i would encounter would be the ECU/wiring part..

I know that a lot of you guys on LS1 tech have done swaps like this...so please guys help me out with some advice!!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

I would go with the 5.3, only because of price, plus the make great power. If you go over on Corral, there is a guy named jw33 he first used 4.6 motor mounts. remember, if you can weld, ANYTHING will fit. The t56 shifter is back a little from the t5, but the shifter still goes through the hole.

I am going through the wiring on my car now. At first it might b a little intimidating, but once you understand the LSx wiring, just feed it what it needs.

The truck intake is very tall, I went with a LS1 intake because of price. I also modified the truck stuff to fit the LS1 intake. Why replace what you already have?

check out my build. I hope this helps a little. I have a 6.0 LQ4 and a M6 from a 06 GTO.

http://s392.photobucket.com/home/zipster93/index
Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Buy my stuff: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ls1-turbo.html
Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

5.7 ftw!
if you go with a 5.3 your gonna wish you had went bigger.....
i went with the 5.7......and i wish i woulda went bigger........
Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to set a budget up and then you will know which engine you need.

The wiring is simple, we have stand alone harness kits that just run the engine with or without the trans.

We are running a special right now for $749.99 you would get the PCM with a basic reflash, stand alone engine harness, GSS340 or GSL 392 fuel pump, Corvette Regulator/filter or standard filter, 15' of -6 pushloc lines and fittings!

This would get your engine up and running. Once you are comfortable with it, you could add cam and heads and all that stuff.

Last edited by Schwanke Engines; 09-06-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

the 5.3 would be the easiest to do just because i can find one in any junkyard..but like getsum said i think later on ill have wished i went with the 5.7...Id like to do the conversion on like a 2-3000 budget...basically a stock ls1 with bolt-ons for now..

thanks schwanke...i will deffinetly be coming to you, when it comes time for the harness

thanks again to all who gave me advice!!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zipster
I would go with the 5.3, only because of price, plus the make great power. If you go over on Corral, there is a guy named jw33 he first used 4.6 motor mounts. remember, if you can weld, ANYTHING will fit. The t56 shifter is back a little from the t5, but the shifter still goes through the hole.

I am going through the wiring on my car now. At first it might b a little intimidating, but once you understand the LSx wiring, just feed it what it needs.

The truck intake is very tall, I went with a LS1 intake because of price. I also modified the truck stuff to fit the LS1 intake. Why replace what you already have?

check out my build. I hope this helps a little. I have a 6.0 LQ4 and a M6 from a 06 GTO.

thanks for all the advice..amazing project you have goin on man!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

i thought about it...i dont have a welder at the moment, nor am i very experienced with welding..so i think i may just buy the aje tubular kmember.

btw how much do you think i can sell my drivetrain out of my foxbody for? Its all brand new: 302 bored to a 306, RNH heads, F303 cam, Weiand intake, holley 650 carb..pretty much the engine is brand new with 2700 miles...brand new T5 transmission. Can i get 5-6000 for it?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:12 AM

Default Ls2 swap

Originally Posted by zipster

Hey I know this is old but I recently got in an accident in my gto. Everything besides the front end is good to go. So im looking at doing a motor and transmission swap into a fox body mustang. Think you can give me a little help?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a AJE k member and cross member. You can modify your harness or buy a stand a lone. The fuel system stuff is easy do a few searches and you will see this swap is very easy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to drop an LS1 into my Foxbody