Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on LS swap

Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on LS swap

I am looking to swap an LQ4 from an 01 Denali into my 84 Monte Carlo SS. Could someone point me in the direction of where to start and what pitfalls to look out for? I have a few specific questions that I will list:

1. Does the 2000 corvette fuel filter/regulator have to be used with the LQ4?

2. If I plan to have A/C installed, does this definately have to be figured into my wiring harness?

3. If I want to run a radiator, similar in size as stock but 3-core aluminum, what OEM fan setup will work?

Also, if there is anyone that can give me any other advise on parts or installation methods, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,
CLMitch1983
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

1. No, the LQ4 fuel rail has a regulator and port for a return line.
2. If you're going to use the Monte compressor and AC system, you dont need the LS harness/controls.
3. The LQ4 has a mechanical fan on the water pump. It moves A LOT of air. There is also a provision on the computer for an electric fan control. You need it enabled, temp set, andpin wired for it.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@garys 68

Thanks for your response. I would like to integrate the LQ4 compressor with the Monte's existing A/C controls, if possible. If it takes some rewiring, I would like to go that route. As far as the fans go, I plan to us electric fans with a fan controller unit with a temp sensor. By that question, I meant, is there a set of electric fans that may mount to my radiator?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The LQ compressor is a variable displacement operated by the computer. It's probably more trouble than it's worth to try to get existing Monte controls to get it to work.
Superpower (on digitalcorvettes.com) sells a bracket for the Monte R4 compressor. Some other vendors sell one too, do a search here.
As for the fan(s), check ebay. There are quite a few ways to wire them. I would suggest using the computer to oerate one and a trinary switch with the AC system to operate the other.

Search this Thread