Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 240sx swap and ca state reff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 240sx swap and ca state reff?

ok well the issue on swapping a ls1 into the s14 240 is the header clearance from the steering rack.

what have (or if anyone has) people done with the header clearance and still making the california state reff still pass the car inspection? i want to get the car to pass because it will be my daily driver, and i would like to make the car legit.

can anyone chime in on this issue?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't think they will let you put in a ls1 in a 240 unless it is a 1975 or older veh. Due to smog laws. Since you would be putting out more pollution than when the car was new. But you may want to call a BAR office office here is the number for the one in San francisco 650-827-2074
Old 09-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Teching In

ive heard there are few things need to be done

carb legal header/ oem header, stock or correct cat location

2 cats, 4 o2 sensors

speed sensors in the wheels

all the emission parts

fuel tank pressure sensor, evap and etc

no ecu code

also i read somewhere on the net , some refs ask for ******* abs sensor?

what in the **** does that have to do with emission
why would they want speed sensor in the wheels? its for the traction control
how is that relate to emission?!

if anybody can solve all these problems , then its legal

i will buy a s13 tomorrow , slap a ls1 in there
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 88SS LS1
Don't think they will let you put in a ls1 in a 240 unless it is a 1975 or older veh. Due to smog laws. Since you would be putting out more pollution than when the car was new. But you may want to call a BAR office office here is the number for the one in San francisco 650-827-2074

did you call them yourself?

please dont mislead people when you dont know

if the engine is the year of the car or newer, all the smog equipment is hooked up and functioning, whatever OBD system the motor came with is functioning, and everything behind the MAF or in front of the cats is either OEM or carb approved for the engine , you will get bar'd with no hassle
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if the E-Rod LS3 is legit for newer cars or can they only be used on older hot rods? Since California considers a new steel body roadster and any hot rod / street rod / kit car as actually a new car and that was exactly what this motor was intended for then perhaps you can use them in the newer cars as well. Just a thought.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/ho...ction=overview
Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the E-Rod kit, I talked to the GM Tech once at Hot August Nights.. You can use it to swap in any car that is either ODB I or older as long as you use the complete kit with ECM, CATS, etc.. The E-Rod was more intended for Kit cars (Cobra's, Factor Five, etc), but can be used on anythng that is ODB I and/or older.

For your 240, what year and ODB ?.. But you can use the E-Rod Kit if it is ODB I or oder, or you can use a Donner Car. As Coke say about the Equipement, so basically you turn your 240 into what every your donner car is.. as it was be Cert'd and tested for the VIN and PCM that you used. You will have to have all of the SMOG equipement from the donner, Say you use a Late 4th Gen F-Body for parts.. your 240 will get tested as a Late 4th Gen F-Body (for the most part).

There are a few threads on the forum about doing a Calif re-cert in here somewhere.

It can be done, good luck..

BC
Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Teching In

most diffcult part is your header have to be carb legal or oem, if you modify the runner(s) you better not get caught when you getting bar'd
Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Just a question/suggestion from someone in a state that doesn't require standard emissions test. How often does your guys cars have to do the emissions stuff. If say once a year or so, concerning the headers could you just swap them back to a stock manifold for testing? Seems kind of ironic that they make it so hard to make a older car put out less emissions.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Teching In

i dont think its the smog check everybody is worried about

you can always get away with smog by paying more if you have conection

smog doesnt mean **** to us, its the cops, once they caught you , you will have a ticket to go state ref

then you got couple of options

1 sell your car, 2 swap everything back or make it legal, 3 im not even sure you can just pay the fine and get away with the ticket without fixing it
Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Teching In

well my car is a 97 so its obd 2. i guess i just need to give someone at the bar in california a call im really wanting to do this swap i think it would make a killer daily driver.

and also to answer your question 71anticarb the only problem is really cops giving state referee tickets. and for smoging cars you can either find someone to pay for a fake smog or switch everything out when it comes time to smog. i love the state of california but not the bullshit laws/government in it. i say they get rid of the c.a.r.b. and the visual test. who gives a f**k whats in the car as long as it can smog i dont understand what the huge deal is.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nightferret
well my car is a 97 so its obd 2. i guess i just need to give someone at the bar in california a call im really wanting to do this swap i think it would make a killer daily driver.

and also to answer your question 71anticarb the only problem is really cops giving state referee tickets. and for smoging cars you can either find someone to pay for a fake smog or switch everything out when it comes time to smog. i love the state of california but not the bullshit laws/government in it. i say they get rid of the c.a.r.b. and the visual test. who gives a f**k whats in the car as long as it can smog i dont understand what the huge deal is.
Im in California and doing a conversion on a 1989 Merkur Xr4ti and fitted a 4.8truck motor , with stock cast manifolds and truck inlet.. It has two chevy obd2 cats and 4 sensors,Obd2 port and check light, stock type airbox evap plumbed in etc.. im hoping to go to the referee and pass smog and all the checks.. Does anyone know where the closest referee station is to Pasadena CA?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you swap the new engine in with all the emissions components that came stock on that engine then you will be fine. ECM, EGR, AIR, 2 CATS, 4 HO2S, EVAP, etc. must all be present. No MIL lamp on, no codes present, and all monitors ran. As far as the info with the ABS there is no reason for the BAR to be concerned about that. If you have all these bases covered then you will be good. Any other mods as long as they carry a CARB EO# and the label is under the hood you have nothing to worry about. People make the swap harder than it actually is with misinformation.

Also, I have heard of people paying off their ref tickets, but I'm not sure what the circumstances are surrounding that. Just an FYI.

Matt
BAR Licensed EA Smog Tech
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Default engine swap

My motor is out of a 2006 express van 2500 series, it does not have air injection nor EGR, so that should not be a problem if it was not fitted with it from the factory.. I was told that you can fit any motor that was used on vehicles under 1 ton GVW.. mine is out of 3/4 ton I think.

Do you need the speedo to work? or if so , Does it have to be calibrated accurately?

Do they check for wheel, tire, suspension and brake upgrades?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thedrill
Do you need the speedo to work? or if so , Does it have to be calibrated accurately?

Do they check for wheel, tire, suspension and brake upgrades?
I had after market 2 way adjustable coilovers, when i got my car reffed. They didnt say anything.

Im assuming you need the speedo close to accurate, because during the dyno test they have to maintain 15 mph and 45 on the dyno for a certain period of time.

The only problem i foresee with your setup is the cat placement. if the cats are near the exhaust manifolds from the factory you should be ok. But if the van had the cats under the front seats. your going to have to lift your car to keep the cats from dragging on the street.

Last edited by Born-again 7; 09-13-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Born-again 7
I had after market 2 way adjustable coilovers, when i got my car reffed. They didnt say anything.

Im assuming you need the speedo close to accurate, because during the dyno test they have to maintain 15 mph and 45 on the dyno for a certain period of time.

The only problem i foresee with your setup is the cat placement. if the cats are near the exhaust manifolds from the factory you should be ok. But if the van had the cats under the front seats. your going to have to lift your car to keep the cats from dragging on the street.
The suspension upgrades are not an issue, it's not emissions related.

The speedo doesn't matter for the test because the Smog tech doesn't pay attention to it during the test. The dyno measures the speed because you have to keep it between 14-16mph and 24-26mph.

AS far as CAT placement I would recommend you keep it as close to the manifolds as possible. It shouldn't be an issue.

Matt
Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Default cats

Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS
The suspension upgrades are not an issue, it's not emissions related.

The speedo doesn't matter for the test because the Smog tech doesn't pay attention to it during the test. The dyno measures the speed because you have to keep it between 14-16mph and 24-26mph.

AS far as CAT placement I would recommend you keep it as close to the manifolds as possible. It shouldn't be an issue.

Matt
I had no room for the cats near the manifolds, so they are below the seat area, roughly 20 inches away from the manifolds (Ctsv stock) and the rest of the system is custom made 2-1/2 to a two into one box to the single 3" rear.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Teching In

so much fails in the thread

a truck motor in a car is never gonna be legal, a motor from a car is never gonna get bard in a truck/van, read dmv motor swap rules you will see , motor from different class cars cant be put in legally

cats have to be in the stock location in order to get bard
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Default truck

Originally Posted by coke
so much fails in the thread

a truck motor in a car is never gonna be legal, a motor from a car is never gonna get bard in a truck/van, read dmv motor swap rules you will see , motor from different class cars cant be put in legally

cats have to be in the stock location in order to get bard
I was told that a truck motor can be legally swapped into a car if its below 3/4 ton, and I have also read something similar...

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html

also

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

Last edited by thedrill; 09-15-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes and can use engines from different classes ( I also thought you couldn't before also)... You can swap a Light duty Truck engine and a Car engine, as Emission wise they are the same standards... its the med/HD ones that you can not.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Default swap

Originally Posted by bczee
Yes and can use engines from different classes ( I also thought you couldn't before also)... You can swap a Light duty Truck engine and a Car engine, as Emission wise they are the same standards... its the med/HD ones that you can not.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Quick Reply: ls1 240sx swap and ca state reff?