Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

donor Car wont crank 2004 Pontiac GTO

Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default donor Car wont crank 2004 Pontiac GTO

Doing a ls1 swap into a 71 camaro and picked up a 2004 gto with low miles. The car was wrecked and rolled but engine looks to be untouched. the radiator was bent and ac condensor but car still held refrigerant. Anyway i removed the radiator,fans and condensor to make sure nothing was in the way of the belt to attemp to start it up but the car wont crank over. It seems as if the alarm or something is not allowing the computer to send fuel or power the ignition relay.

What would be possible causes?

Would the low coolant light effect anything starting wise?
Would the airbags being deployed effect anything?
IS there an inertia switch or fuel reset in the car?

Tomorrow i will try to disable vats via efi live and see if that gets me anywhere but i have the factory key so i dont think thats it. Any Ideas?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked all of the fuses and relays in the engine bay and interior fuse boxes? I'd bet you have a blown fuse/relay and possibly some damaged wiring. In my 2006 GTO it was crashed pretty hard. Both airbags were blown, no coolant, and it was a pretty smashed. enough to buckle the floor in a few places, break both motor mounts, and do tons of damage... There was quite a bit of damaged wiring that i repaired before trying to turn it over. There were quite a few wires that were broken/shorted to the chassis in my car.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would put the computers away and start simple. Jumper a wire straight to the starter solenoid and work your way back from there.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Oh, do you have any dummy lights? How's the battery?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Take the starter off and have it bench tested (any auto parts store will do this).

The starter grounds through it's mounting bolts, so make sure that you have a good ground between the engine and the chassis.

There is also more simple stuff, like are you getting 12V at the starter, and does the battery have a good ground.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Launching!

you should hear the fuel pump running for a couple seconds after the key is turned to the on position.

Check all the 30 amp fuses.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you turn the key does the starter click? do the lights go dim or what? Check the battery voltage and go from there. Then check voltage at the starter etc.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

The battery is in good shape its an optima which we charged up and tested. The starter will crank if i jump it from the battery. I checked all fuses and found no issues. Also the only damaged wiring is to the headlight harness so i pulled all the wires apart and taped them up so there are no shorts. I get ABS light, low coolant light and SES light. The starter doesnt click when i turn the key and the fuel pump is also getting no power.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Can u lock and unlock the car with the remote? Did u check the 30 amp fuses with a meter? Is the car fully in park if stick clutch pedal to the floor while trying to start? have u checked the fuses inside the car. Can u here the fuel pump running when u first turn the key? it will run for 2 seconds,have someone stick there head in the truck and listen.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smo's04Gto
Can u lock and unlock the car with the remote? Did u check the 30 amp fuses with a meter? Is the car fully in park if stick clutch pedal to the floor while trying to start? have u checked the fuses inside the car. Can u here the fuel pump running when u first turn the key? it will run for 2 seconds,have someone stick there head in the truck and listen.

I can lock and unlock the car with the remote. If i open the door the alarm will go off. Once i hit unlock it turns off as it should. Checked and rechecked all fuses/ relays. If i power the starter relay the car cranks fine. The fuel pump turns on when turning the key and has good pressure. The starter will not turn over from the key. Also i have no spark with the key in the on position and jumping the starter. The clutch has jumpers on it which i checked and rechecked. I also disabled vats via efi live.

Will the airbags being deployed not allow the car to get spark or crank?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

My 06 had blown bags, and it started just fine, so I don't think that the airbags are keeping you from starting the car. sounds like it may be time to pick up some service manuals. I picked a set of 06 manuals on LS1GTO for $60. Well worth the money.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by iverson387
I can lock and unlock the car with the remote. If i open the door the alarm will go off. Once i hit unlock it turns off as it should. Checked and rechecked all fuses/ relays. If i power the starter relay the car cranks fine. The fuel pump turns on when turning the key and has good pressure. The starter will not turn over from the key. Also i have no spark with the key in the on position and jumping the starter. The clutch has jumpers on it which i checked and rechecked. I also disabled vats via efi live.

Will the airbags being deployed not allow the car to get spark or crank?
I've seen cars run with deployed bags. I would have to question either the rewiring of the clutch switch or the disabling of the vats.If the remote was working no need to remove the vats. You said it was hit in the front.Did you check the harness that runs across the front of the car carefully,You should sign up for alldata $25. on line,has everything you'll need was very helpful when I did my swap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: donor Car wont crank 2004 Pontiac GTO