Sponsored by:

Couple LSx/T56 2nd Gen Camaro Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Couple LSx/T56 2nd Gen Camaro Install Questions

Hi,

Got a couple questions about installing an LSx/T56 into my 79 Z/28 I have been doing a lot of research, but nobody really covers this stuff in their swaps and forum threads

1) Does anybody make a direct fit, no drill or fabrication T56 crossmember for our 70-81 cars? I see some, but it seems you have to redrill holes in the frame to make it fit.

2) Why doesn't anybody run 98 PCM's with their setups, and why is there no aftermarket harness kits compatible with my 98 PCM. My PCM is tuned and modifed for the 98 Z28 I purchased to swap into my 79 so thats kind of why I want to keep it. Or am I better to just use my stock LSx 98 harness with my swap and make it fit in my 79?

3) What is the difference between the Spectra EFI conversion tank for 70-73 and a 79 Z/28 tank size and dimensionwise? Is is just a filler neck issue or completely different design? Any input would be great there.

Please let me know anything on this stuff please.

Thanks, Nathan
Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Launching!

i havent found a no drill xmember, for either trans yet..... im doin a 4l60e but want a T56, and im either going to make my own that uses the factory holes or just drill new ones....

from what ive read the 98pcms have different plugs and is a one year thing possibly thats why everyone stays away from them..

the tanks for earlier cars have different filler necks, but ricks is supposed to have a tank out for later models..... im debating on getting that or just splitting my new tank and installing my own baffle and sump system, like what they make....
Old 09-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Like he said, the '98 PCM thing is one of those "one year only" deals, so it's hard to support that in the aftermarket, when the 99+ up has so much greater coverage and availability. Basically, there's no demand for the '98 stuff.

I have a '98 swap.....and like you I ran into the oddball stuff. I looked at the cost of converting to 99+ harness, but by the time I bought a new PCM and bought the new harness etc it would have been WAY more money than I wanted to spend.

I ended up getting my '98 PCM flashed to remove VATS etc, and built my own standalone harness using the LS1 engine harness and saved a TON of money. It feels overwhelming at first, but once you get started on it it's really a breeze.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Teching In

thanks for the input. I think I will keep the 98 pcm and harness and make that work. Just will have to tune out vats and some other minor codes. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

I just put a 98 pcm and harness into my 94 car. They work just fine. The oddball year and the fact that its not as easy to tune is why people stay away from them but I've used them for many high performance apps. Just convert your harness to stand alone and your all set.

Quick Reply: Couple LSx/T56 2nd Gen Camaro Install Questions