Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Here are a few more shots of the truck accessory drive with the car intake. I am probably going to order an a/c compressor and see where things fit before I decide what I want to do.

This weekend I decided to tackle cleaning up and painting the engine. First I needed to seal everything up to prevent water from getting in.

I removed the valve covers and removed the rocker arms. This puts all the valves in a closed position, which should help prevent any unwanted liquids from getting in.

Next I stuffed the ports with towels and used a quality (Scotch brand) duct tape to mask off all the ports and sensors.

Then I laid a tarp out in my driveway, rolled the engine out, and went to town with a few cans of engine degreaser, a scrub brush and the garden hose. These pictures were taken at various stages of cleaning.

On the last few clean & rinse cycles, I used Eagle One Mag Cleaner in a spray bottle from my local autoparts store. This is an etching cleaner that contains a few different acids. It did an incredible job of restoring the aluminum to a more uniform appearance. Once everything was degreased and thoroughly rinsed, I put a few fans out to dry things off.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 10-10-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Next I used some painters tape and masked off the heads, waterpump ports, and cam position sensor boss. Most of the other connectors were already masked off with duct tape from earlier. For the waterpump ports, I put tape on the old gaskets and used some bolts to hold them in place.

Finally, I laid on several coats of Duplicolor engine enamel. I used this on my old small block and it lasted 12 years and still looked good when I pulled the engine.

These pictures were taken as the paint was still drying, so it looks kinda splotchy but you get the idea.

Later this evening after rolling her back in the garage, I set the intake back on top and snapped these photos. Overall I'm pleased with how this cleaned up and I'm very happy with the painted valve cover, painted timing cover look. I wish it wasn't going to get cluttered up later with accessories, wires, etc.

Before:

After:

That's it for today. More to come as I make progress.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I like where this is going, will stay tuned.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Today I stopped by the local stealership parts counter and ordered an L99 waterpump and powersteering bracket. I'm going to try to piece together something like the L99 accessory drive, either by buying parts incrementally or fabricating parts as I need them. I'm hoping the L99 waterpump will line up with the truck crank pulley and the truck PS pump will work on the L99 mount. If those work, I'll go on to figuring out the alternator and compressor mounting.

Here is the L99 accessory drive, which you can buy as a complete setup from Pace (link) for $860.

Here are the part numbers and list prices I got from the dealer. They provided some exploded views to help ID things.

19207665 Waterpump $300
12610792 P/S pump bracket $20.70
92229662 P/S pump $156.87
12610794 P/S pump pulley $40.16
12610789 alternator bracket $49.84
12568996 alternator idler pulley $65.02
XXX tensioner (I didn't ask)
XXX belt
XXX alternator
Total list $632.59 without tensioner, alternator, belt or hardware

Based on the list prices, I think you might be able to beat the Pace price if you're willing to go to your local dealer. I asked nicely and the stealership gave me a 15% discount along with a coupon for another 15% off my next order, so for the waterpump and P/S pump bracket I paid a hair under $300 out the door with tax.

One other very important note. The parts counter guy was concerned that some of these parts could be on a long national backorder. He checked on these and said they were in inventory someplace and he was very confident they'd get here in a week. However it's very possible they could be delayed since they are such new items. I will let you know how my experience goes.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 10-11-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Clint,
Looks great. Keep it coming. Any chance of getting a closer pic showing the heads? I am curious how well that eagle acid wash worked.

thanks,
JIm
Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

gmpartsdirect.com has those PNs you listed for a grand total (incl. shipping) of $405.15, fyi.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
gmpartsdirect.com has those PNs you listed for a grand total (incl. shipping) of $405.15, fyi.
Wow, that makes a huge difference. I'll check it out. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

So after some time on the phone, I got a better deal with my local dealer's web pricing (their site is www.gmpartsgiant.com) and augmented my order to include all the parts below. The total is close to the same as it would be with gmpartsdirect, but I can pick up the parts when they get here. The key is not paying shipping with the local dealer, even though their web prices are a bit higher and I will have to pay tax.

List / www.gmpartsgiant.com before tax

19207665 Waterpump $300 / 177.54
12610792 P/S pump bracket $20.70 / 12.14
92229662 P/S pump $156.87 / 95.78
12610794 P/S pump pulley $40.16 / 24.09
12610789 alternator bracket $49.84 / 29.89
12568996 idler pulley $65.02 / 39.70
Total $379.14 + $36.97 tax = $416.11

I'm hoping the truck balancer with line up (we'll see) and I skipped the tensioner for now because I will need to mount my a/c compressor in that area and I don't know what I'll use for a tensioner yet.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 10-12-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Looks great. Keep it coming. Any chance of getting a closer pic showing the heads? I am curious how well that eagle acid wash worked.
Thanks Jim! I'll take some pictures up close some time this week. The Eagle One Mag Cleaner worked extremely well on the as-cast surfaces such as the timing cover, valve covers, and cast surfaces of the heads. The machined/smooth surfaces didn't clean up quiet as well and could use some followup cleaning/polishing. One thing that helped the effectiveness was to rinse for a long time after application, otherwise you would end up with light chaulky white runs where the cleaner rinsed down but didn't rinse off completely. If you are considering it for your new engine, I say definitely buy it and try it out.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to all this too and also getting ready to install an LY6 into a 69 camaro so this info is very helpful. Thanks.

I am just curious why noone has mentioned this qwik setup. Is it just not pleasing to the eye?

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_ps.html

It seems like a relatively inexpensive option and it will line up with the truck balancer and pulley.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Total $379.14 + $36.97 tax = $416.11
That's awesome. Easier to return and figure out what you need if you have issues, too.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

futureuser - The kwik performance setup is not a bad option. It's more a matter of preference. I prefer the inboard design of the L99 accessory drive, which is similar in component positioning to the 4th gen F-body. The kwik setup looks more like corvette positioing. Here is a good example of it being used on a 3rd gen Nova: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...d-5-speed.html

Regardless of the P/S and alternator positioning, the L99 waterpump offers the advantage of having a driver's side outlet and clearance for VVT. I do not know yet if the spacing will line up with the truck balancer, but I will find out soon enough. There are probably a million combinations of custom and factory mountings and waterpumps that could be used with success.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am looking forward to see how the L99 WP matches up.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I am looking forward to see how the L99 WP matches up.
Today I picked up everything but the p/s bracket (still waiting on that). The good news is the L99 waterpump bolts up and the pulley matches perfectly with the truck crank pulley. It even came with the gaskets. I couldn't be happier. Other than the obvious difference in the outlet location, it also has different tensioner bosses cast in which will not allow use of the LY6 tensioner. If you were swapping straight across, you would want to get the L99 tensioner also.

The bad news is the alternator bracket is designed a little differently from the 4th gen f-body setup and it pushes the alternator out further from the block at the top mounting bolt. That is likely to be a problem in the tight space between the engine and subframe on my Nova. I may need to use a spaced-out 4th gen f-body bracket for things to fit, but I wont know until the engine is in the car.

I will get some pictures up this weekend if I can.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Today I picked up everything but the p/s bracket (still waiting on that). The good news is the L99 waterpump bolts up and the pulley matches perfectly with the truck crank pulley. It even came with the gaskets. I couldn't be happier. Other than the obvious difference in the outlet location, it also has different tensioner bosses cast in which will not allow use of the LY6 tensioner. If you were swapping straight across, you would want to get the L99 tensioner also.

The bad news is the alternator bracket is designed a little differently from the 4th gen f-body setup and it pushes the alternator out further from the block at the top mounting bolt. That is likely to be a problem in the tight space between the engine and subframe on my Nova. I may need to use a spaced-out 4th gen f-body bracket for things to fit, but I wont know until the engine is in the car.

I will get some pictures up this weekend if I can.
Good find. I will be looking forward to the pics. I am curious if the L99 WP would work with the C6 FEAD I got.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Here are some pictures comparing the LY6/L92 truck waterpump to the L99 Camaro waterpump. The belt contact area of the L99 waterpump pulley aligns perfectly with the truck pulley, despite the overall size of the pulley being shorter. On the backside, there is plenty of clearance for the VVT timing cover, which I assume is the same between the LY6, L92 and L99.

On the engine:

The driver's side, forward outlet should make hose routing cleaner for my Nova's driver's side inlet radiator. This may restrict belt routing options for driver's upper accessories if not using the L99 accessory configuration. I will try bolting the truck accessories up to see if they would work with alternate belt routing, even though at this point I don't plan to use them.

On the passenger side, you can see the bosses for mounting the L99 tensioner are thicker and stick out further, so the LY6 tensioner will not line up.

Jimbo, hopefully these pics show enough of the heads to get an idea of the cleanup from the Eagle One Mag Cleaner.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 10-17-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Here are some pictures comparing the LY6/L92 truck waterpump to the L99 Camaro waterpump. The belt contact area of the L99 waterpump pulley aligns perfectly with the truck pulley, despite the overall size of the pulley being shorter. On the backside, there is plenty of clearance for the VVT timing cover, which I assume is the same between the LY6, L92 and L99.

On the engine:

The driver's side, forward outlet should make hose routing cleaner for my Nova's driver's side inlet radiator. This may restrict belt routing options for driver's upper accessories if not using the L99 accessory configuration. I will try bolting the truck accessories up to see if they would work with alternate belt routing, even though at this point I don't plan to use them.

On the passenger side, you can see the bosses for mounting the L99 tensioner are thicker and stick out further, so the LY6 tensioner will not line up.

Jimbo, hopefully these pics show enough of the heads to get an idea of the cleanup from the Eagle One Mag Cleaner.
Clint,
Thanks dude. When I was looking at the pics, I thought to myself the Eagle mag cleaner worked great. The raw alum. heads match the L99 WP. Thanks for the pics. I'll have to dig out my FEAD kit (C6) to see if it might work with the new WP. This way I can ditch those hidious MAST spacers.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Just curious,
Did your wiring harness come with a TCM? (throttle control module, I think)

The part of my harness that extends towards the firewall got ripped out in the wreck. I promise my own thread soon.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Jimbo - I think the driver's side outlet on the L99 waterpump would interfere with the power steering reservoir mounting on the C6 FEAD, but you may be able to relocate that.

futureuser - The LY6 doesn't have a separate TCM. The throttle connects to the ECU. Take alook at this wiring diagram: http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/lsx...sSchematic.JPG

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 10-18-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Wow in the time it took me to find this from a different thread you already replied. Thanks again Bandit. Hope I can return the favor.

The 58x conversion is ONLY drive by wire as the Gen IV ECMs do not have an idle air control driver...and the TPS input is different (two signals). Gen IV ECMs have the throttle controller built in.

Quick Reply: '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT