Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire loom and techflex

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wire loom and techflex

I have trimmed down a wiring harness to what I need and I'm ready to wrap it up. I know the easiest thing to do is get some wire loom and electrical tape and go to town, but I have feeling that wont last too long. I've had cheap wire loom crumble to pieces in a mildly warm area after a couple years on my DD (stereo).

Another option I've used before for other things is Techflex (the expandable stuff) but I know that would be almost impossible to get around most of the connectors and whatnot.

Also, I know regular electrical tape doesn't do so well with heat. What are you guys using to finish your newly modified wiring harnesses? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Ok, so it looks like Nylon wire loom is what should be used for the most part. I guess the stuff I used before was just a cheap plastic or maybe most of it is just plastic, and nylon is a specialty thing.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought some split braided loom from a seller on Ebay - used 1", 3/8" and 1/4" diameters. I haven't tested it at temperature yet, but it should handle underhood temps. Looks better than the corrogated loom IMHO.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

^..this.....

Used the same thing, over 2500 miles, no issues yet......looks good too...

T,
Old 09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good, also get harness tape for wrapping, it looks like elctrical tape, but is not sticky, the best $8.00 I ever spent on ebay.

Ryan
Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chevy406
I bought some split braided loom from a seller on Ebay - used 1", 3/8" and 1/4" diameters. I haven't tested it at temperature yet, but it should handle underhood temps. Looks better than the corrogated loom IMHO.

What or where did that fuse/relay panel come from? Looks pretty slick.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the split braided loom also. You can get it from McMaster Carr or any on line auto supply (jegs and summit). We use the same stuff on the radars we build for military applications, so definitely good stuff.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sleeving/=8ul3xq

Instead of tape or zip ties I use velcro straps I got in the electrical section of Home Depot. Looks cleaner than zip ties and with split loom getting to the wires is a snap.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the advantages to using the non-adhesive "harness tape" - it's PVC, right? Does it last longer or something?

Are there any places where you would not want to use the non-adhesive tape, and just use a high-quality adhesive electrical tape?

Originally Posted by slow
looks good, also get harness tape for wrapping, it looks like elctrical tape, but is not sticky, the best $8.00 I ever spent on ebay.

Ryan
Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
What or where did that fuse/relay panel come from? Looks pretty slick.
I bought it from Current Performance. I'll let you look them up since I am not sure if they are a forum vendor or not. It is a nice, clean relay/fuse box that works well with a modified factory harness.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

What are the advantages to using the non-adhesive "harness tape" - it's PVC, right? Does it last longer or something?

Are there any places where you would not want to use the non-adhesive tape, and just use a high-quality adhesive electrical tape?
Doesnt get gooey. Same stuff the factory uses

Harness tape is best in areas with oil/chemical contact as normal electrical tape instantly falls off with any sort of residue contact. OEM uses it all over to keep costs down from buying two types of tape

Ive had good luck with the factory split loom. After 20 years it breaks down and crumbles, but you've got some time on your hands before it gets that far. I just bend the stuff before using. If it cracks, trash, if it bends, use it
Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chevy406
I bought it from Current Performance. I'll let you look them up since I am not sure if they are a forum vendor or not. It is a nice, clean relay/fuse box that works well with a modified factory harness.
Is there any brand name or part number on any of the fuse/relay components?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
9 Second Club

I'll try to remember to take a close up picture tonight. But I seriously doubt you will be able to piece one together any cheaper than what they sell for.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

If you haven't tried working on a harness that used electrical tape, avoid the mess and don't use it. A few good hot days, and the harness becomes a mess. Not on the outside perse, but the inside gets gummed up pretty good and a black residue is left all over the wires.

Im thinking my harness will be left open and just tied every 6-12". I got the idea from a thread talking about aircraft harnesses and how the military handles them. Then again, I want easy maintenance, and not really interested in the display qualities.

The JY is a good source for cheap OEM quality loom. I seem to get some every few trips. Just be sure to the get the newer stuff that isn't dried out and cracked. Ive seen sizes from 1/4" up to 2". Most of the Aftermarket loom I have seen is junk.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info! I was a little worried that the non-adhesive stuff wouldn't "stick" as well, but if OEM harnesses use it on everything, it should be fine for me too.

Originally Posted by Pocket
Doesnt get gooey. Same stuff the factory uses

Harness tape is best in areas with oil/chemical contact as normal electrical tape instantly falls off with any sort of residue contact. OEM uses it all over to keep costs down from buying two types of tape
Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Oh and while we are talking harness wraps, pick up a seam ripper from your wifes sewing kit. They are AWESOME for quickly removing harness wrap without cutting the wires.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Ive found unwrapping the tape just like it was put on is the easiest and cleanest removal. Delphi wrapped some areas over 1/4" thick. Thats alot for a razorblade, let alone a seam ripper
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket
Ive found unwrapping the tape just like it was put on is the easiest and cleanest removal. Delphi wrapped some areas over 1/4" thick. Thats alot for a razorblade, let alone a seam ripper

The seam ripper took it out just fine. Just went through this about 2 months ago. I got tired of having the tape break every two inches from where it was dried and cracked. Its tape, and the seam ripper sliced through like butter no matter the thickness. Only took about an hour to remove it from the entire harness. It has been the same with other harness that I have worked on for other cars as well. Heck even SO makes a tool shaped just like a seam ripper for the same purpose!

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=17634
Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And?????

Quick Reply: Wire loom and techflex