Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Nova Build - pumpgas twin turbo 408 LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo nova build

Nice project and ideas. All these postings about the awesome turbo LSX projects people are doing now makes me want to start going in that direction with my ls1 nova I started building 3 years ago but never finished. I after all am a buick grand national fan and your hot air piping sure reminds me of my turbo regal piping. I have all the parts to do the N/A swap but I may be looking to get rid of the Stainless Works headers I paid an arm and a leg for awhile ago and move more in this direction. I still dont know if the headers will even fit in my X body as they were made for the 67-9 camaros. Has anybody used the S.W. long tube headers on the nova? dreamin right?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

68-74 X bodies use the same front subframe as the 67-69 camaro's so the headers should fit fine. Only differences is a few bumper bracket holes.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
OP, any progress on the turbo piping? Did see the one meanyellowz did with C6 manifolds?
Turned out pretty good.
I haven't started on the turbo installation or plumbing yet. I am focusing on just getting the engine installed and running naturally aspirated. Baby steps for me. I did see the build meanyellowz did with C6 manifolds. I even shot him a PM, but I don't think he gets on here very much. I've saved a lot of pictures off the forums, and they have been inspirational.
As far as the coil location, I was actually going to follow LS1NOVA's layout down next to the engine mounts, but I anticipate my downpipes would have been too close with them down there. I truly appreciate the honest opinions. If the coils are too much of an eyesore under the hinges, I'll put them behind the fender wells or on the frame.
So far this week I have assembled a set of spark plug wires starting with a 25' coil of MSD wire and 8 pairs of ends. I am currently bending some ½" SS tubing in & out of the fuel rails. Tomorrow my goal is to notch the cross member to clear the alternator. It's nice to be making some forward progress again.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am dropping an LQ4 into my 69 Camaro and I am using the same oil pan as you. Did you drill and tap the bolt hole just in front of the exit lines to the filter? Do you think I will be ok with the Nooks and Tranny adapters with solid Moroso mounts as far as clearance on the belly? You have an awesome car and a great build to date. Cant wait to see it run!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the comments tsnow. I think that you should be OK with a stock crossmember and the Moroso oil pan. It will likely be very close though. I suspect you will have to open up the holes in the solid motor mounts a little in order to get the "long" bolts in. I didn't D/T the block for that oil pan hole. The 3/16" thick flange on the Moroso pan should be enough to keep it from warping.
Over the past couple weeks I got the crossmember notched for the alternator, installed oil pressure, fuel pressure, and water temperature gauges, finished my fuel lines, installed a Lokar throttle pedal and cable, almost finished assembling ignition wires... I need to get the engine & transmission mated to see if I'm going to need a torque converter spacer to work with my TCI flexplate.
I need to work on some current pictures. Here is the Lokar pedal for PN reference. The linkage bracket came with the Victor Jr intake and is a little chunky - probably not use it:
Name:  DSC_1087.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  140.2 KB
Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

I have a 1974 Nova SS that I plan on ptting a twin turbo ls in or one of the new supercharged ls9 with auto trans into it. I love what you are doing with your nova. I will be coming to Huntsville soon and hope to see you so i can get some tips on do's and dont's.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy406- whats up? You have this awesome ride and all of these awesome parts and not a word in like 2 weeks. Come on lets see it!!! Your waiting on the video to be edited of you pulling down a 8 sec pass, is that it?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

updates..............?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slownova73
heres a pic i have saved,from a nova build on another forum. i thought it was a good idea for a turbo'd LSX's coil placement, maybe exposed to alot of heat here though im not sure.

oh yea, awesome build man! great attention to detail, its motivating!
Anyone know what DR side manifold this is ? ? ?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Launching!

both manifolds are w body front side manifolds I have the same setup
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1972nova
both manifolds are w body front side manifolds I have the same setup
Excuse my ignorance, what is the "W" body line? And what does "front side" mean?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Excuse my ignorance, what is the "W" body line? And what does "front side" mean?

Thanks!
grandprix with the ls based engines. front side as they are transverse mounted
Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
grandprix with the ls based engines. front side as they are transverse mounted
Thanx!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club

Ok - here's why I have been silent for the past few weeks. I realized that I wasn't going to be able to temporarily use the stock exhaust manifolds to get the new engine tested out before the turbo installation, and that put me in a tailspin trying to decide which direction to go. Either buy headers just to use for a couple months or proceed with my long time desire to convert to rack and pinion (add clearance by removing stock steering box). The more I read about R/P conversions I decided that it would be best to go ahead and convert to front steer also. That lead to looking at complete aftermarket front subframe kits. Fast forward to last night - I had a local friend deliver his unused Martz front subframe assembly to my house - thereby killing my Nova fund for a while... I hope this frame gives me a lot more clearance for the turbo plumbing, possibly even allowing room to use truck manifolds turned down, for a nice clean installation.
Give me some time to get past the next 2 weeks full of family obligations, then I'll jump in hard on the frame swap. Here is a shot at what I received last night (mine has upgraded Wilwood brakes, QA1 adjustable coilovers, optional sway bar and is powder coated black already):
Old 02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

CHEVY406,

thanks for the update. it will be worth the wait.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Truck manis turned down would look great! That sub should open up some nice room for you.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:04 PM
9 Second Club

I finally got some time this weekend to drop the stock frame out. I'm looking forward to getting the new frame, tubular control arms, coilovers, & rack&pinion bolted up and seeing how much more space I have around the engine. Should be able to drop close to 125# off the front end, although that will be equalized out with the turbos.
Name:  DSC_1325.jpg
Views: 1951
Size:  132.4 KB
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

That's a great pic. Did you support the back half of the car with jackstands or just by the front at the radiator support? Did you get a lot of body flex doing that?

Gotta get that mill/drill on a stand where you can use it!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
9 Second Club

The back tires are on ramps, and I have 2 jackstands under the front corners of the body. I used a rope anchored to my floor joist (basement workshop) to support the front clip while the frame is out. I was careful to watch to gap between the doors and front fenders, and I didn't see any changes in the gap. I have to get some new body bushings since my old ones were worn.
You're right about that mill. I bought it locally from a friend, and haven't used it since unloading it from the truck. Time management fails me.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

I just set the 408 back in my Nova after installing the new Martz front frame. I'm pretty stoked about the extra room and clearance I have around the engine. Now I will be able to use 6.0 truck exhaust manifolds turned forward/down. I plan to cut the 3-bolt flange off the manifolds and weld 2½" v-clamps on the end. I even think there is enough room between the engine block and mounts to route the 3" downpipes out of the turbos. That will make a pretty clean installation if it all works out. Still lots of work to do...

Name:  DSC_1382.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  DSC_1385.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  103.9 KB

Quick Reply: 69 Nova Build - pumpgas twin turbo 408 LS