Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Nova Build - pumpgas twin turbo 408 LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks and that sounds good. I had the old cast iron Corvette master on it prior and it worked fine. Like you, I wanted the self contained unit. Sure does clean up that side of the firewall.

Cant wait to see the vid of this thing rolling down the road!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So, I've been driving the Nova around for the past couple of weeks. Had an issue with my passenger side coil harness cutting out intermittently which resulted in a large backfire and a split open muffler. But all is good now, so I made a run up to Firestone to hit them up once again for my lifetime alignment that I purchased in 1994. I felt a little guilty, so I paid the mechanic a tip for his extra care on it. Then I stopped by a grand opening of a local Audio shop that was sponsoring a car show. It was cool to get some reactions to my project that I've been working on the past couple years. Now all I need to do is add the turbos for some real eye candy.

Here's a little idle clip from this afternoon. Seems the Magnafuel pump is the loudest thing on the car... Hopefully I'll get some video from the dragstrip soon.

[youtube]nERahsaMjio[/youtube]
Old 09-03-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

The Nova sounds awesome! It will sound even better with the twin air pumps!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good decision to put the car together n/a and enjoy it for a while, then add the BOOST!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. I just completed reading the complete thread. It looks as if the build is going good. I also noticed a couple of things. First of all the engine plate looks just like the one that I have in my shop. I wonder where that came from? John done good on them!!!!!! Also in one of the pictures I notoced the blue hood, is that the hood that was on the car when you purchased it? It's hard to beleive that it has been so long since we went and looked at purchasing the rolling chassis. You have dome many great things with it over the years, however the turbo build appears to be the best. Good luck with the remainder of the build, and keep me posted. I want a ride once it is completed.
Eric
Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds awesome Cylde....
Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking car and build! this thing should be a ride with some boost!!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bama99z
..It's hard to beleive that it has been so long since we went and looked at purchasing the rolling chassis. ...Eric
Good to hear from you Eric. I had almost forgotten that you were the one to find this '69 Nova for me back in 1997. It's made a few changes from the early days as a $1,500 roller.

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be distracted from the Nova while I rebuild the T56 in my Corvette. I think I also have a clutch job on a friend's C5 to help finance my transmission parts. But I do plan to sneak out one evening and take the Nova to the dragstrip from some baseline numbers naturally aspirated.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Really nice work. . . nice build threat with all the fotos it really helps when i start my lq4 build. . thanks a lot. . .best regards DENMARK
Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Wow this is a amazing build, it's well documented. Keep us updated this is encouraging me to start on my 63 nova that's just begging me to take it apart.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 AM
9 Second Club

Really cool to hear from a hot rodder in Denmark. Maybe some day I'll get the opportunity to come visit your country. Thanks for the comments Mad Max - these car forums are a great way to network and keep motivated on our projects.

I drove the Nova to the dragstrip last Friday night and made a few test passes. Remember, this is running naturally aspirated (for now) at 9:1 compression on 87 octane gas, temporarily using truck exhaust manifolds, and it has a turbo specific camshaft. I'll have to say with this setup the car just felt soft. I was able to run a best of 7.58 @ 92 mph in the 1/8 mile with a 1.74 second 60' (on slicks). That is kind of where I expected to be, but maybe hoped it would be a little quicker. My 80 lb/hr injectors are only hitting 38% duty cycle, so that is another component that is certainly not optimized for running NA. So now that I have my baseline performance it's about time to finish collecting parts for the turbo installation.

[youtube]Q2pjfoHHUBA[/youtube]
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

that is a damn fine machine you have there
Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just a quick question for you, since i still have the stock frame, and will NEVER have a awesome aftermarket frame. Considereing doing my turbo setup with the 6.0 manifolds pointed down and forward like yours will be.

What issues were they with the maniflds mounted like that with the factory frame? would it be impossible? minor modification? major modification?

Thank for the help and hurry up with you turbo system!!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slownova73
just a quick question for you, since i still have the stock frame, and will NEVER have a awesome aftermarket frame. Considereing doing my turbo setup with the 6.0 manifolds pointed down and forward like yours will be.

What issues were they with the maniflds mounted like that with the factory frame? would it be impossible? minor modification? major modification?

Thank for the help and hurry up with you turbo system!!
Ill chime in on this one since I have experience with it.

The truck manifolds wont fit without cutting the ends off and welding v bands on. I never went that far though, as it was before people figured out that they are weldable.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

just wanted to give you props on an awesome build thus far on a super clean nova!! I'm sure the turbos will just add to the fun!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Ill chime in on this one since I have experience with it.

The truck manifolds wont fit without cutting the ends off and welding v bands on. I never went that far though, as it was before people figured out that they are weldable.
oh so they will fit as long as you v-band them? cuz i was planing on doin that anyway, i have gotten that far yet, im only puttin my bottom end together this weekend so i have a ways to go.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:20 AM
9 Second Club

Sorry that it's been a long time since I even checked on my own build thread, much less worked on the car...
Using truck manifolds turned forward and down with a stock Nova Gen III subframe is not workable - at least in my humble opinion. The driver's side would work by cutting off the manifold 3-bolt flange and welding on a v-band:
Name:  DSC_0162.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  102.7 KB

But the passenger side manifold simply turns down too quickly and runs into the frame. I don't have a picture showing the passenger side turned down, but from my memory it would take some serious surgery to work. The best I can show is the truck manifold turned up on the passenger side.
Name:  DSC_0163.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  105.4 KB

I promise that I'll get back to work on the Nova in the next couple of weeks. I currently have a 2003 Z06 in the garage for a cam swap (my 7th C5 cam swap). But the good news is my M12 rebuild is up and running in the daily driver so now I can focus on the Nova again. The next step is to mock up an intercooler(s) and decide on air-to-air or air-to-water. I have in mind using this air-to-water installed horizontal beneath the radiator. I need to make a template to see if it what it takes to make it fit there and how it would look. Overall Size: 29"x13"x4.5"
Old 11-10-2011, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

So, needless to say, truck manifolds and quik brackets won't work either, unless the manifolds are set up in the stock location or up and towards the rear.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, thanks for that info chevy406, maybe a w body manifold on the pass side, and truck manifold on the driver side may workout, ill figure it out when im at that point.

sorry for hijacking your thread! you can have it back now
Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Clean set-up man. I cant wait to see how things come together with the turbo.

Quick Reply: 69 Nova Build - pumpgas twin turbo 408 LS