Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great
Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Few things missing...

The rear springs and air shocks were sold. The CBR leaf springs (same company that makes the front rack/qa1 conversion) will be going in once it's warmer along with a set of Bilsteins. I'd really like to pull the rearend, have the housing cleaned/blasted/painted, install a posi with 3.55s, and do the rear disc conversion, but that will be next fall or winter.

The tank was also sold and a reproduction will be purchased to have an f-body sender assy adapted to it (current plan but that may change...). The nice thing about the wagons is the amount of space above the tank for a sender to fit...the structure the tank sits on is about 5" tall. No cutting into the trunk floor like I've seen with other models..which is quite hokey.

And yes, that is a nice jack.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

The radiator showed up last week. After looking at what would fit and what would be needed to make a fan shroud and buy fans, I decided on the Entropy that's set up for an LS1 swap. The mounts are very nice and bolt to the stock locations, but needed a little modification to fit the correct width. The inlet and outlet is the same size as the inlet/outlet on the engine and the radiator has the hookup for the steam tube. There isn't much room between the water pump and the fans but it all fits. The 98-02 f-body lower radiator hose looks like it will fit...I have an upper hose that looks like it will fit but I haven't had time to get the radiator fully bolted in and the hoses fit.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

looking good..
Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

After some small adjustments to the radiator mounts, the radiator is now in where it's going to be with about 1/2" to spare between the waterpump and the fan shrouds.

The upper and lower hoses are the same part number...the only issue is that the outlet of the WP is 1 1/4 and the inlet is 1 1/2. I used some goodyear radiator hose reducer sleeves on the upper hose and we'll see how well they work. The AN hookup under the upper hose is for the steam vent.

Next, the cooler lines will get spliced behind the balancer and re-routed to the driver's side of the radiator...and I'm not sure how the intake tube is going to end up since it's a really tight fit between the radiator and TB. To be continued...
Old 02-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Default nice very nice

looking really nice! I was wondering the other day about this build & how it's going.
Have a great weekend!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice choice in radiator. I have one on the way for our Wagon/LS conversion also.

Have you decided where you will put the ecm? If it will be in side the cockpit what are your thoughts on running the wiring into the fire wall?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67 church
Very nice choice in radiator. I have one on the way for our Wagon/LS conversion also.

Have you decided where you will put the ecm? If it will be in side the cockpit what are your thoughts on running the wiring into the fire wall?
I want to put the ecm up under the dash, probably right under where the dash speaker would be. Somehow fab a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the radio brace...I havent looked at it much to see how it will fit.

I'm trying to find an OEM type firewall grommet that has an extended boot on it which gets taped to the wiring like the factory does before the sheathing goes on. I'd like to run the wires through the firewall right behind the intake about where the recess is stamped for the distributor. It just depends how it looks inside the car too....again, havent had time to look into it that far
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice looking radiator! was looking at those on ebay,
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Launching!

That damn cool Nova SW
Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Not much new...been planning the fuel system and ordering fittings, exhaust, etc.

The CBR leafs are in as well as the new fuel tank. Im looking forward to getting the rearend out again to have the case cleaned and repainted and then have a set of 3.36 gears and an Eaton put in. Money doesnt allow for that to happen just yet ...that will be a summer project.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Give us the run down on that old *** jack!

are those a lowering spring from CBR??
Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Here's a few pics of the fuel sender I'll be adapting and some machining done this week...

Drawing up in MasterCam...

About to slice and dice...

All cut out and shown with the GM tank gasket which will be pressed into the groove...

This will be the flange for the sender. Also shown is the quick-serts that will get pressed into the flange to make the threads for the retaining plate.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve68
Give us the run down on that old *** jack!

are those a lowering spring from CBR??
yep they are CBR springs. i got the jack from my dad, he's had it for decades. after the car is drivable i want to have the cylinder rebilt (leaking) and then have it blasted and painted or powdercoated the original color...then it should be good for another 60yrs of service
Old 03-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Did you think no one would ask about the pump situation?? Is this for a stock tank or a fabricated one? I actually tried to call and place an order today for a complete set up....now I see this!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Wow that fuel pump looks sweet. I might try and fab something up too when I get to that point.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

You really need to post more information on that fuel pump conversion you are doing.It looks hella sweet.LSx Nova guys have not had many options.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Ok...after much trial and error and searching for parts, I've bent up some new actuator lines for the rack that clear the mounts. I've found that 12mm x 1.25 tube nuts for the o-ring end are harder to find than I oringinally thought (12mm x 1 seems to be what everyone has), as well as the steel 45° tube nuts...I find lots of brass

So I had to cut the original lines to take the 45° tube nuts off. I used some bulk 1/4" non-flared tube to plan it out...after going through about 10 feet of it I decided to just go for it.

Bending lines like this is more difficult than it looks, especially the 135° bend at the o-ring tube nut. I used a 1/4" bending pliers which really works good if you dont mind some sore thumbs

So...Im thinking I will use the other two flared tubes I bought to fine tune them. Id like the longer line to be down closer to the shorter line. I didnt have them go up over the top of the rack for a few reasons...1) the lack of space between the fittings and the crossmember to be able to make them turn upwards, 2) my pressure and return lines go over the top of the valvebody and these would get in the way, 3) this seemed to be the simplest route with the fewest bends. I also wanted to keep them up near the crossmember instead of the longer line being bent to follow right under the shorter line which would look good but require more planning so they line up right.

Next I'll be putting the crossmember back in with the press and return lines and see how it all looks...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

A little more eye candy. Dont mind the brake and trans cooler lines...their day is coming

Old 04-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Where in minnesota are you?

Quick Reply: I want a build thread too....'63 Chevy II Wagon.