Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1963 Chevy Nova LS6 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rack

Not sure what you did is a good thing cutting the bushing ...i have done two of these with TCI clips and never had a problem with the rack YOU should be using a F Body pan and possibly a different set of motor plates the other issue could be you have your trans tail shaft to high which is tilting the front of the motor down make it hit the rack.

Heres a picture of my clearance not real great pictures, if your interested in a better i could take some ...seems like you made it work ?

Name:  Picture862.jpg
Views: 9691
Size:  210.1 KB
Old 04-28-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Here's the challenge to the 1st and 2nd gen front clip suppliers. Heidt, TCI or Church Brothers or anyone.

Show me or us the consumers pics of the their clips with an LS engine either with the Fbody pan or aftermarket pan clearing the power rack.

No rant but if using the "typical" short wide SBC mount conversion plates will their clips accomodate the LS swap using a Fbody pan without raising the motor mounts to clear the power rack? The short wide mounts move the LS back within 1/2" of the head to firewall.

Heidt's with the rear mount sway bar on the super ride show me it clearing the Fbody pan.

The point being as we order parts, suppliers just let us know what it takes. Don't guess. If you don't know just say so. Most of us as we are building cars would be more than happy to show you what we have run into as far as problems go. Nothing worse than sliding that LS engine in on Friday late and the pan hits the rack then waiting till Monday morning calling the supplier and hearing "well it should fit".

If an aftermarket pan is required just say so or change your design so it's not required.

Maybe a bit of a rant but my .02 worth.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by snolan
Not sure what you did is a good thing cutting the bushing ...i have done two of these with TCI clips and never had a problem with the rack YOU should be using a F Body pan and possibly a different set of motor plates the other issue could be you have your trans tail shaft to high which is tilting the front of the motor down make it hit the rack.
Nice setup! I see you have the pro touring front end.

The problem with my front end is that I have one of the very first front clips TCI ever designed (back in 2002). Since then, they have made several changes in their design according to… (I think I talked to Evan at TCI). I’ve had two sets of motor mount plates of varying thicknesses and what you see in the pics is the F-body oil pan. I’m using the standard gm polyurethane trans mount, but my other issue is the fact that my exhaust may hit if I go any lower than I am right now by the trans mount. Hmmmm….??

If need be, I can always replace the bushings no sweat. The only thing that it could possibly mess with is the alignment since vibration is not an issue at those reaction points. Shouldn’t be a big deal if I get it re-aligned when I’m done with the install.

Not sure what else I could have done?

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
Here's the challenge to the 1st and 2nd gen front clip suppliers. Heidt, TCI or Church Brothers or anyone.

Show me or us the consumers pics of the their clips with an LS engine either with the Fbody pan or aftermarket pan clearing the power rack.

No rant but if using the "typical" short wide SBC mount conversion plates will their clips accomodate the LS swap using a Fbody pan without raising the motor mounts to clear the power rack? The short wide mounts move the LS back within 1/2" of the head to firewall.

Heidt's with the rear mount sway bar on the super ride show me it clearing the Fbody pan.

The point being as we order parts, suppliers just let us know what it takes. Don't guess. If you don't know just say so. Most of us as we are building cars would be more than happy to show you what we have run into as far as problems go. Nothing worse than sliding that LS engine in on Friday late and the pan hits the rack then waiting till Monday morning calling the supplier and hearing "well it should fit".

If an aftermarket pan is required just say so or change your design so it's not required.

I like your style LS1 TJ. Sounds like you've had some issues as well. I've definitely heard "well it should fit" or "you might have to trim this." The funny thing with mine is that I don't even have power rack and pinion, and it still doesn't fit (well, now it does after I did a little "trimming"). I think I'm going to make a few more phone calls...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

You asked, so here they are....

First two are of a power set up and the engine sitting forward 1" from neutral.

Name:  burkepwr2.jpg
Views: 6390
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  burkepwr1.jpg
Views: 6148
Size:  50.3 KB

These two photos are with a manual rack and the engine sitting just as you described....as close to the firewall without contact.

Name:  Deitzls2.jpg
Views: 6337
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  Deitzls1.jpg
Views: 6433
Size:  55.7 KB

In the first two photos with the power set up the engine is actually sitting farther forward than what we provide with motor plates, when purchasing our headers. With the engine further ahead the clearance would be tighter however this customer has zero issue with clearance. Both cars are using the F-body oil pan.

Now back to our regular scheduled, informative thread.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet! I will be ordering a set of your stainless headers,..as soon as I purchase my transplant,...looking at the GTO LS2 405hp,4l65e set up now....
Old 05-02-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Didn't mean to flame any supplier. Looks like the Chuch Boys fits great and that's what we need to see.

Great selling point for Church Boys.

Anyone with a power rack with a MII type clip and power rack?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Teching In

"well it should fit".
Amen. I just heard this the other day on the phone from BTO..."well it should fit" was not enough for me to spend $300 bucks on their trans crossmember with an adapter.

Hey 67 church, the ls1 in my 63 chevy II sits back toward the firewall like you mentioned. Do you make a trans crossmember that will work with a 4l60e?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I have one in the works. Here is a mock up of what I used when we designed the headers and 3" exhaust.

Name:  IMG_0446.jpg
Views: 7053
Size:  65.2 KB

That is 3" tubing with approximately 3/8" spacer between the pipe and cross member. Here is a link showing the rest of the mock up. The first few photos shows a Chassis works clip with our headers...after that is the initial mock up of the LS and a stock clip with our rack.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/j...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67 church
Yes I have one in the works. The first few photos shows a Chassis works clip...

Thats exactly what I need. I have the CW clip and their motor mounts, but even they didn't know of a crossmember that would work

I sent you an email through your site
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by theomms
Amen. I just heard this the other day on the phone from BTO..."well it should fit" was not enough for me to spend $300 bucks on their trans crossmember with an adapter.
Haha, That's BTO's "go to" answer. I decided to take the chance and well, I paid for it in the pocketbook and frustration with them. This is the crossmember that another Nova guy, Tom, recommended Adjustable crossmember. I remember he said it fit nicely with his 4L60E since it was adjustable.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NovaKid
Haha, That's BTO's "go to" answer. I decided to take the chance and well, I paid for it in the pocketbook and frustration with them. This is the crossmember that another Nova guy, Tom, recommended Adjustable crossmember. I remember he said it fit nicely with his 4L60E since it was adjustable.
The one that CPP sells is made by BTO haha. The problem is that I am not sure that it will work with chassis works clip/mounts I have, because the CW stuff moves the LSX motors back towards the firewall.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

The one that CPP sells is made by BTO haha. The problem is that I am not sure that it will work with chassis works clip/mounts I have, because the CW stuff moves the LSX motors back towards the firewall.
Yeah, I ended up talking to CPP a while back about that. I know there is two trans mounts BTO makes for CPP (for the nova 4L60E application), but I wasn't sure if that was one of them or not.

My passenger side head is about an inch from the firewall. If the CW positions your engine in the same spot, I suppose it could work? Either way, hope you find something that works!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

I have been working on both cross members. 700 and 4l60. I had hoped that one could be used for both. However, that is not the case they are completely different.

As far as moving the engine back. You can not go any further back with the engine than when using the mounts that allow the bottom bolt on the engine mount to pass thru the adapter plate and into the block. I tried the plates that allow you to move the engine an 1" further back. It puts the engine in contact with the fire wall. In my opinion if the lower motor mount shares the same bolt hole as the adapter plate, this would be a neutral position.

The adapter plates that Chevykid has with his headers are what I am referring to.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NovaKid
Yeah, I ended up talking to CPP a while back about that. I know there is two trans mounts BTO makes for CPP (for the nova 4L60E application), but I wasn't sure if that was one of them or not.
Did they say that it would work for you and the 4l60e? It sounds like my motor is in the same place.

Originally Posted by 67 church
I have been working on both cross members. 700 and 4l60.
I'm waiting on you ...let me know if you need any pictures or measurements
Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Did they say that it would work for you and the 4l60e? It sounds like my motor is in the same place.
The only thing they mentioned was that it was adjustable, but another guy on here "Tom" with a light blue 66 nova used it and said it fit great. Seems like a few things end up as trial by error. It took me 3 times though
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Teching In

I see a lot of chatting, and no work getting done.

You gonna let me beat you back on the road, Pat? Get to work!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

August 10, 2011

Money in my pocket, It's gonna be Christmas in August for parts!

Ordered all my fuel system parts and starting to look into wiring harnesses. Tom, another nova guy on the site, recommends Techrods for a custom wiring harness. I'll post more info when I research that. Meanwhile, here is a link to my fuel system thread. Hope this is helpful!

FUEL SYSTEM DIAGRAM
Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

December 18, 2011

Sooo... a lot of work is getting done, I've just been slacking on the updates lately. The fuel system diagram link above was more of a guide than anything else. I ended up using a bunch of different AN fittings. Anyway, I'll start where I left off with the fuel system.

The 16 gallon stock tank was not working for me so I opted for a larger fuel cell.

Name:  P1000624.jpg
Views: 6256
Size:  116.4 KB

Made up some brackets, cut the trunk floor out, painted, and put in a new battery box.

Name:  P1000622.jpg
Views: 6258
Size:  174.7 KB

Name:  P1000690.jpg
Views: 6138
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  P1000689.jpg
Views: 6212
Size:  172.2 KB

Bent up some steel straps, had them powder coated, and installed them under the tank for some support.

Name:  P1000601.jpg
Views: 6148
Size:  140.0 KB

Walbro fuel pump and Earls pre-filter installed

Name:  P1000680.jpg
Views: 6102
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  P1000687.jpg
Views: 6078
Size:  143.1 KB

Corvette filter regulator mounted next to the passenger side rear wheel along the frame rail. See the link above for the part number.

Name:  P1000688.jpg
Views: 6216
Size:  178.6 KB

Name:  P1000684.jpg
Views: 6169
Size:  170.0 KB

Return line routed through the floor to the tank from the filter regulator

Name:  P1000686.jpg
Views: 6292
Size:  201.9 KB

I turned the fuel rail around to plumb all the fuel lines on the passenger side. I used the braided stainless line only for the engine compartment, then back to the twist lok fittings. Again, part numbers are listed on the fuel system diagram link above.

When I was installing the fuel rail fitting to 6AN adapter, I didn't have the little, plastic, locking piece in the adapter. I wasn't sure if it was missing from the manufacturer, I lost it, or broke it so I called up Russell Performance (talked to a guy named "Smitty") and they sent one out to me free of charge. Great customer service. They'll definitely keep me as a customer.

Name:  P1000673.jpg
Views: 6191
Size:  195.7 KB

Last edited by NovaKid; 01-01-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

December 18, 2011

I installed all the transmission cooler lines a month ago and for the most part, everything went smoothly. The hardest part was trying to figure out where to route them.

I was debating whether to use the "twist tite/twist lok" fittings, or braided stainless AN fittings. After talking to several transmission shops and the manufacturer themselves, they said the twist lok fittings would withstand the temperatures and pressures of the transmission cooler lines without a problem. When installing the the twist lok fittings, I would definitely recommend heating the end of the hose with a heat gun and adding a little oil to the inside of the hose before sliding/twisting it onto the barbed fitting... it makes life a lot easier! Here are a few pics:

Since the trans cooler was visible behind the grille, I wanted a cleaner look so I only used AN fittings for this part.

Name:  P1000612.jpg
Views: 6246
Size:  214.5 KB

Name:  P1000613.jpg
Views: 6251
Size:  195.1 KB

Ran the lines into the inner fender area.

Name:  P1000615.jpg
Views: 6197
Size:  145.5 KB

Twist Lok hose and fittings mounted under the passenger side fender.

Name:  P1000616.jpg
Views: 6422
Size:  157.0 KB
Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Great job on your build.

Quick Reply: 1963 Chevy Nova LS6 Swap