Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'67 GTO LS3 Swap

Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Where did you buy it? I need one as well for the same reasons.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vintage Air. They sold us the kit we've been using in the GTO for the past few years.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CFster,

Have you figured out a plan for your gas pedal yet? I've done some research, and haven't found anything that discusses what DBW pedal assembly fits into '64-'67 A-bodies.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67 goat
CFster,

Have you figured out a plan for your gas pedal yet? I've done some research, and haven't found anything that discusses what DBW pedal assembly fits into '64-'67 A-bodies.

Thanks,
Jeff
I'm going to use the pedal that came with my SpearTech kit, which is the same one that comes in the GMPP harness kit. I haven't even looked under the dash yet to be honest - I expect I'll have to fabricate some kind of bracket I'm sure...
Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Some more pics of the car.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Motor is just about ready to go in.

AutoKraft pan.

S&P shorty headers.

Speartech harness.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a vid of the engine running, just to get a baseline. I'll take the same vid afterwards so we can hear the difference in sound. We'll be using the same exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wbuhox0JU8&hd=1

Also, we weighed the car today:

LF - 1081 lbs, RF - 1063lbs, Front axle - 2144lbs
LR - 813lbs, RR - 807lbs, Rear axle - 1620lbs

Total - 3764

Should be interesting to see what the difference is.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updates ? Pictures ?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Funny you should ask! We stabbed it in this morning. I can't believe how easily it went in. Transmission had to come forward about 3/4" (the holes in the trans mount are slotted so that was easy). Only problems were the trans cooler lines have to be rerouted, and the header hits the brake junction block on the left side - no big deal.

Old motor out -

Chevelle small block frame mounts in -

Going in -

Holy crap did the front come up! Going to have to change springs.

The tie-rods come within about 1/16" of the oil pan, so that should be ok.

I have to move the washer jug. That's the extent of my clearance issues.

Now the real work begins - plumbing, wiring etc!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks great , Where do you plan on mounting the ecm? I mounted mine on a fabbed up plate in the interior over the trans hump against the firewall, if I had to do it again I would have mounted it in the glovebox area so the fuse panel and ecm .is easily accessable . where it is now it got real crowded and now is hard to get to . JOHN
Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, John!

I have no idea where I'm putting the ECM at this point. I have a Vintage Air system too, so there isn't a lot of room under the dash.

Right now I'm focusing on the fuel system. I just ordered a bunch of fittings from Summit. I literally had to draw a diagram so I could get it all straight. We have a flare tool that will make GM style quick disconnect fittings so I'll be using those on the hard line and Russell adapters, AN fittings and some hose.

I've also been communicating with Ron Davis radiators about a custom radiator with a steam line fitting. Not cheap!

What did you do for a P/S pressure line?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For p/s I went to the junk yard and got a few different lines off p/s pumps , most of them were cut being that they were takeouts, needing the pump side from them only( metric ). on the box side I used an original style end ( I had a few different hoses )and used the one with the shortest 90 on it. I brought them both to my local hose guy and he mated them with the proper length and orientation.on the steam I used a fitting from jags that run,being that I did not consider this when ordering the rad. they also have any reducers for the rad. lines you might need .I would plan your air intake system while planning your rad.being that you are getting a custom rad you can get the inlets/outlets so they dont interfere with the air plumbing and elec. fans.try afco for a rad .they make a rad for this install with the inlet and outlet on the same side,dont know if it will work for your app.JOHN
Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

by looking at your setup I would leave your existing rad .the upper hose looks to be an easy setup being that the ls3 waterpump outlet is closer to the drivers side and install the steam fitting in the upper hose somewhere. JOHN
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always been fond of those cars. Granted, you got the wrong year. What year are those mounts from? I think I have the 68-72 mounts for my LSx swap, because mine look totally different (yet they're SB mounts). I'm not sure it matters, since I plan to drill out the frame on my '66 after getting the engine where I like it anyway...

I agree with john on the radiator, btw. Also, my '66 non-AC with 15" tall core fits a Ford Contour dual fan setup perfectly. Worth looking into if your radiator is the same. I've got an aluminium Mark 7 in mine ($pendy!).
Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Cfster,

Nice job with the motor install, looks like you made short work of it. Earlier in this thread you asked where to buy SBC frame mounts. Where did you end up buying them? P/N and price? And did they bolt into existing holes, or did you have to drill new ones?

Also, I know your goal was to locate the engine in the original location for bolting the trans up.....I have the same concern since I already have a TKO-600 mated to my stock 400. Looks like moving the trans forward was easy for you with the slotted holes. Are you concerned about driveshaft length? My guess is 3/4" isn't going to be an issue. The output shaft/yoke spline should take care of that, eh?

I've got an LQ4 block that I'm building now with L92 heads, LS3 intake, etc. I'm still undecided about exhaust. I can't decide between trying to run stock camaro manifolds, shorty headers or long tubes. I really want to make stock LS3 manifolds work. I know you made the assumption early on that there's no way to make them work. Did you ever confirm that?

One more thing. I've heard concerns about the exterior walbro pump "running dry" with lower fuel levels, like 1/2 tank or less, especially when driving hard. Some feel a sumped tank and internal pump is the only way to go. Did you discover anything about this in your research? I'm on the fence about which route to take. The external pump and filter/regulator is certainly the easier, less expensive option.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice!

-Jeff
Attached Thumbnails '67 GTO LS3 Swap-dsc03392.jpg  
Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67 goat
Cfster,

Nice job with the motor install, looks like you made short work of it. Earlier in this thread you asked where to buy SBC frame mounts. Where did you end up buying them? P/N and price? And did they bolt into existing holes, or did you have to drill new ones?
Eckler's Chevelle part #606169 small block frame mounts and part #600976 motor mounts for a '67 Chevelle. I notched the existing holes in the frame down 1/8" per Edelbrock's instructions that came with their motor mount adapters.

Also, I know your goal was to locate the engine in the original location for bolting the trans up.....I have the same concern since I already have a TKO-600 mated to my stock 400. Looks like moving the trans forward was easy for you with the slotted holes. Are you concerned about driveshaft length? My guess is 3/4" isn't going to be an issue. The output shaft/yoke spline should take care of that, eh?
The yoke did come out some yes, and where it is makes me want to have the shaft lengthened (well they don't actually lengthen it, they build a new one with your ends). However, there is some room in the tunnel to adjust transmission angle - I still have to get the car on a level surface with the suspension loaded and check my driveline angles before I change anything. Who knows, it might be alright.

I've got an LQ4 block that I'm building now with L92 heads, LS3 intake, etc. I'm still undecided about exhaust. I can't decide between trying to run stock camaro manifolds, shorty headers or long tubes. I really want to make stock LS3 manifolds work. I know you made the assumption early on that there's no way to make them work. Did you ever confirm that?
I didn't try to fit them in, but just by looking at them I don't think there's any way they'll fit. I went with S&P shorty headers. The trade off of a few HP vs. the long tubes was worth it to me for piece of mind that I wont be bashing them on speed bumps.

One more thing. I've heard concerns about the exterior walbro pump "running dry" with lower fuel levels, like 1/2 tank or less, especially when driving hard. Some feel a sumped tank and internal pump is the only way to go. Did you discover anything about this in your research? I'm on the fence about which route to take. The external pump and filter/regulator is certainly the easier, less expensive option.
Yes, running dry, and noise level was a concern for me, so I ended up buying a fuel tank with GM internal pump from Spectra, with Corvette filter/regulator mounted inline.

If you need any help with adapter #s and whatnot for your lines let me know. I just got a whole mess of fittings for the fuel, trans cooler and power steering lines. What a pain in the ***.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Launching!

Awesome. Thanks again.

On the headers, are they 1 7/8" primaries? I couldn't find that on S&P's website and sounds like the LS3/L92 heads might need that as opposed to 1 3/4? I haven't received my heads yet to measure/confirm (they are on order).

It's very convenient you're doing this install just a few months before me. Thanks for being the guinea pig!

Keep up the good work.

-Jeff
Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

A quick update. Ordered some suspension and brake pieces.

From SC&C (thanks to Marcus for being so helpful)

-Stage 2 AFX front end kit
-SPC lower control arms
-Currectrac rear upper and lower arms
-4 SPC springs
-4 double adjustable VariShocks
-Rear Spohn Pro-Touring sway bar

From Kore3 (Tobin was very helpful as well!)

-4 way C6 Z06 brakes with silver calipers (no Corvette logo)

I know what wheels I want:

But I'm just trying to work myself up to swallowing the cost. Somebody talk me into it.

Waiting for a weekend when it doesn't snow up here in New England to get started with the fuel system and plumbing, then we'll tackle wiring.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CFster
A quick update. Ordered some suspension and brake pieces.

From SC&C (thanks to Marcus for being so helpful)

-Stage 2 AFX front end kit
-SPC lower control arms
-Currectrac rear upper and lower arms
-4 SPC springs
-4 double adjustable VariShocks
-Rear Spohn Pro-Touring sway bar

From Kore3 (Tobin was very helpful as well!)

-4 way C6 Z06 brakes with silver calipers (no Corvette logo)

I know what wheels I want:

But I'm just trying to work myself up to swallowing the cost. Somebody talk me into it.

Waiting for a weekend when it doesn't snow up here in New England to get started with the fuel system and plumbing, then we'll tackle wiring.

DO IT ! what feels better than a new set of rims and tires ?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

john, i went with 1 7/8" primary american racing headers on my Nova, 6L/L92. FWIW, LG motorsports recommended I run 1 3/4" primaries, even with the healthy cam. I had already pulled the trigger though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '67 GTO LS3 Swap