Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'67 GTO LS3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '67 GTO LS3 Swap

Hi, I'm new to the forums. We have a '67 GTO with the stock 400 and a 4L60E we installed a few years ago. Now we want to put an LS3 in it.

I've done a bunch of research, and have picked most of my parts. However, there's a few things I'm not entirely clear on. I've scoured many threads on Chevelles, and some GTOs (but mostly different years than mine). I know there are differences...

1. I'm intending on running the stock gas tank, with an external Walbro fuel pump and filter/regulator. Do I need to run some sort of evap system? Purge or vent solenoid? Evap or charcoal canister? Doesn't the LS3 have provisions for this (evap line coming off the motor)? I know the LS3 harness has pinouts for those items.

2. What is the benefit of going with a SpearTech harness rather than the GMPP harness? Are either of these programmable?

3. Will the stock manifolds that come with an LS3 crate motor work in a '67 A-Body? I'm guessing not!

4. If not, how do the Edelbrock short headers compare to the stock manifolds performance wise? I really don't want full length headers and I'm aware there's a power trade off. What other options are there for short or mid length headers or manifolds?

5. I want to keep from moving my transmission at all. Which mounts will put my motor in the stock location? My understanding is the Dingo Sliders position the engine 1/4" higher than stock, Edelbrock's move the engine 3/8" forward from stock and the BRP mounts require you to drill holes in the frame. By stock location, I assume these manufacturers are talking about the rear mounting face of the block right? I mean what else can they use for reference?

6. Am I required to run a smaller alternator than comes with the Corvette accessory drive kit to avoid hitting the inner tie rod linkage? I'm already planning on a Kwik A/C bracket as I have a Vintage Air System in it already.

7. I'm planning on using AutoKraft oil pan but have heard that combination with a 4L60E and headers makes the starter virtually impossible to get at due to the pan's kick outs at the bottom. Any other options I should be looking at?

Thanks and I'll be sure to post plenty of pics of the build once we get going.

-Colin

Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Car
Welcome to Ls1 tech
You can use a modified f body oil pan , it had the best clearence up front near the tie rods
I used shorty headers from Street and Performance ,they fit well but were a real PAIN where the collectors bolt to the headers , the oil pan was from street and performance . I had to change the spark plug wires due to the headers passing close to the spark plugs.S&P is pricey but has good customer service.
I purchased my harness from speartech not 1 problem , always had time to answer my questions.If its a vette accesory drive shouldnt the alt. be up high?
Are you going with ac ? You can look through my thread if you havent already. JOHN
Old 10-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

very nice car, I hope my 66 looks that good when I finish it
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

I posted to your thread over at PT. Good luck with your build real nice looking car.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by john 67
Nice Car
Welcome to Ls1 tech
You can use a modified f body oil pan , it had the best clearence up front near the tie rods
Modified how?

I used shorty headers from Street and Performance ,they fit well but were a real PAIN where the collectors bolt to the headers , the oil pan was from street and performance .
How so? Do they interfere with anything?

If its a vette accesory drive shouldnt the alt. be up high?
Are you going with ac ? You can look through my thread if you havent already. JOHN
Yeah I didn't realize the alternator was mounted up high. Yes I have a Vintage Air system in there already, so I'll be getting Kwik Sanden compressor mount.

Car looks great! I've subscribed to your thread.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil pan is modified so it will not interfere with the rear side of the front crossmember , S&P notches the pan out and rewelds it and gives you a longer pickup tube that goes further back. there are other oil pan options than the one I used , since I purchased mine there are some gm pans and aftermarket pans. the inner tie rod ends pass very close to the edges of the oil pan when turning . this was the underlying factor when locating my engine as well as many other "a "body guys .The S&P headers did not have any clearence issues but their design made it hard to acess some of the collector flange bolts , I am happy with them except for that issue.Check your personal messages , JOHN
Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Getting ready to pull the trigger on this project:

I have a 4L60E with a non removable bell housing. It's an earlier style, so it will only bolt up with five bolts instead of six. I hope that will be sufficient.

Can anybody verify my part numbers for the flexplate and spacer that I need?

12602448 - Flexplate
12563532 - Spacer

And here's my parts list:

19244097 - LS3 Crate Engine (btw, the GMPP catalog says this engine comes installed with a 2009 throttle body and I should use a 2008 throttle body if I'm using the GM harness, what's up with that?)
19155067 - Corvette Accessory Kit (Pace makes their own kit with is basically the same kit minus the compressor and brackets for $120 less - I'll have to investigate)
K10143 - Kwik Sanden Compressor Mount (up high) for my existing Vintage Air kit.
12635649 - Damper
AutoKraft - Oil Pan
Edelbrock - Mounts
SpearTech - Manual Transmission Harness Kit with ECU
SpearTech - O2 and MAF sensors
Street & Performance - Shorty Headers
Walbro External Pump 255lph
Filter/Regulator NAPA 373 (Corvette style)

As mentioned above, I'm already running a 4L60E with a Compushift controller. I've decided to keep that controller and go with a manual harness - one reason being I'd like to install a Shrifter and it requires the Compushift.

I've also been running a Griffin radiator with a big Spal puller fan. I hope that will be sufficient.

The rest of the parts will be had during the install - lines, fittings, ductwork etc.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I'd ditch the shorty headers idea personally. Go long tube.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I'd ditch the shorty headers idea personally. Go long tube.
Why? Bear in mind a few extra hp isn't the most important thing to me. Packaging and ground clearance is.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

CFster... where in CT do you live? im in oxford... very nice looking gto! u may get alot of gto owners pissed off with putting a LS3 in there... but u probably already know that.. haha. my buddy has a 67 lemans.... you wouldnt wanna sell that 400 to fund your project would ya? im sure my buddy might wanna buy it...
Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NXPRSS
CFster... where in CT do you live? im in oxford... very nice looking gto! u may get alot of gto owners pissed off with putting a LS3 in there... but u probably already know that.. haha. my buddy has a 67 lemans.... you wouldnt wanna sell that 400 to fund your project would ya? im sure my buddy might wanna buy it...
Up in East Windsor.

Well I already ticked some people off by installing an OD trans in it, front disc brakes and aftermarket air.

Thing is we haven't hacked up anything and still have the original parts. We're planning on keeping the motor. It smokes anyway...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

By looking at tha autocraft pan you may need to put some spacers by the frame mounts to get it to clear the steering linkage, if you do order the S&P headers be sure to get the copper collector gaskets , mine blew out early on - the header gaskets are still holding out.And about the sneers from the stock crowd , my 70 chevelle is all original with a 3 speed auto trans and I never use it on any long trips as compared to my 67 with ls2 4l80e that I have driven cross country with no breakdowns .JOHN.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, we like to actually drive our cars too!

Old 11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

And the parts have started arriving!

AutoKraft oil pan:

Kwik Performance A/C relocation kit:

Oil filter adapter:

Edelbrock mounting plates:

Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Looks like a nice "pile" of parts.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

brp makes a " girdle " fitting that allows you to bolt in the pickup tube in with 2 bolts instead of one.I never liked the feel of mine with the one in .JOHN
Old 11-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Got the accessory kit on. Still waiting for the right A/C pulley.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by john 67
brp makes a " girdle " fitting that allows you to bolt in the pickup tube in with 2 bolts instead of one.I never liked the feel of mine with the one in .JOHN
Ordered.

Does anybody know where I can get small block Chevy frame mounts?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What are you going to do about your compressor using v belts and everything else being serpentine?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

I'm waiting for the serpentine clutch pulley to come in.

Quick Reply: '67 GTO LS3 Swap