Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with LS swap, what motor for my project?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with LS swap, what motor for my project?

Ok guys here it goes. Started my 1995 5.0 Stang build a while back and never got in a hurry to finish it. The parts are so expensive and it HP capabilities suk.. I have a Dart block 347 but thats for a race car not my DD..

I was going to build my stock short block 302 with AFR 185's and a cam but i am still so limited with it..

So for what parts cost to finish it, i could get an LS engine. not to mention i want a T56 anyways and this swap seems more logical.. I know about the 4.6 K-member and motor mounts and what headers to use.. the rest of the FAB i can handle..

But which LS motor do i want?
I know a guy with a 4.8 for $500 but isnt that going backwards from my 302 with AFR 185's?

Goals- I want hi 11's in the 1/4 and good DD capabilities.. prefer a bolt in motor with cam swap..

Money is an obstacle.. i dont want to go out buying a $3k worth of motor parts when i could finish my SBF for less..I can get few LS motors from a local wrecking yard for under $1k..

So what LS motor should i be hunting? I like the aluminum blocks
Old 10-29-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1, LS2, and LS6 are good starting places IMO.

the cheaper option could be starting with an LS1, and putting a 383 Strocker kit in there with forged internals, good high flow intake and TB, with nice set LTs, and a mild cam. there you are looking good. if put in a light weight application, high 10s is possible, and if you spray 10s become even easier.

quote from a sig on the forum:
"1998 Camaro SS Arctic White A4- slpLoudmouth, lid,ory pipe, vigilante 3600 stall, 4.10s, TNT F1 150 Shot-SOLD!!!!! 11.6@118 on 100 shot" - owner is itsslow98