Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can LS conversion use 2nd gen hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Default Can LS conversion use 2nd gen hood scoop?

I'm installing an LS2 in my '81 Camaro. I have most everything figured out and installed, but am having trouble finding space for the air intake and air filter. Since the car has a 4" raised hood scoop (like a cowl induction), I would prefer somehow using that, but I cannot find such a system. Does it exist?

Alternatively, I guess I have to place the air inlet on the right or left side of the radiator. (I'm also thinking of feeding from below the radiator support.) I bought a bunch of Spectre Performance parts, but they don't seem to have any flexible elbows or tubes, just solid parts which prevent bends and odd angles.

I would appreciate any sources and part numbers of flexible elbows and hoses that might help.

I have been fairly active on the nastyz28 forum and have documented some of my projects there. When complete, I will document here a complete list of every supplier and part to perform such a conversion.

Thank you in advance!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I fabbed my own out of fiberglass.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...eed-build.html
I know you can buy the tubing, rubber collars/adapters, etc but I think you have to make your own filter assembly.
Hose source:
http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=9DEH

Last edited by garys 68; 11-02-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the info and good pictures.
Looks like everyone runs into pretty much the same issues.
Fortunately my trans crossmember was not welded in and I could replace it with a Gforce from www.crossmembers.com which mounted my 4L65E 2-1/2" further back and 1" lower, using the original subframe holes.

I might look for a fiberglass fabricator.
Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I built a custom air box to use the Chevelle Cowl induction Hood.. Fully functional with all of the flaps, vacuum and electric stuff working.

here is the link.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...induction.html

Also Year one used a 2ng gen type hold scope on there 69 Camaro with a cone type filter. You can see it on many mag or the BRP site.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM

bczee: Cool! I don't have your fab/welding ability, but there are plenty of work-hungry fab shops in SE Michigan. I wasn't even sure of what I wanted, but now I do! Thanks.

I like what you did much better than the Yearone 69 Camaro. Like yours, I want something that looks closer to stock. Well done!

I'll look for those Yearone pictures

Quick Reply: Can LS conversion use 2nd gen hood scoop?