Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 / 4L60E frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 / 4L60E frustrations

Yes I've searched and yes this seems simple enough I know, but this combination has proven to be a pain in the rear for me.

Scenario is as follows: New LS2 crate engine and a freshly rebuilt 4L60e from a 2002 F body. Installed and determined I have no movement from the transmission to wheels. Removed (pain in the ****) took back to the trans shop only to be told the pump was broken (another pain the **** and pocket book). They suggested I did not get the converter all the way seated. I guess its possible, but I've installed trans before and was very careful to make sure it was on all the way? I don't think this happended.

They are also telling me I might need to shim between the flexplate and converter. I've read where this is needed when using an older style trans on the new gen III/IV blocks, but I don't if it's otherwise required with the newer LS style transmissions. I don't see why it would be since the 98-02' Camaro came with with this combination from the factory albeit with an LS1. They also suggested I might need a spacer on the flexplate?

So, I'm confused, ticked off, and lighter in the pocketbook and really don't know what the proper solution / combintation is to make sure I don't get to go through all this again? Could it be the wrong converter? How can I tell? I know there is a significant price difference between a regular 4l60e converter and LS type but I don't know why?

Would appreciate any assistance as usual...
Old 11-06-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You wont be the first person to crack a pump on accident. The converter can slip forward just enough to screw you when installing the trans. Try using a positive lock method such as wire or cable until the trans is ready to be torqued down. Torque it the standard method by applying torque until resistance is felt then checking that the converter still spins by hand. Fully installed the converter should be 1/8-1/4" off the flex

Next, the Fbody 4L60E will work fine, assuming you've actually got one from a Fbody. IIRC the GTOs used an updated version with the same dimensions (4L65E)

You only need the adapter when using a 4L80E or older automatic on the LSx engine. Using it with a 4L60E will ram the converter 1/2" back into the trans busting the pump
The following users liked this post:
rouchiemanz28 (05-17-2020)
Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats part of the issue. They replaced the converter and I couldnt tell you what the original one looked like? I'm wondering if the rebuilt / replacement one is correct, but I have no ideal of what its suppose to look like?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

...and you're SURE the transmission is from a 2002 V8 car? The 3.4 V6 cars use the same transmission BUT the spacing is for the Gen I style engine. The 3.8 V6 cars have a different bell housing bolt pattern but are otherwise the same. The late 1996 and all 1997 transmissions look the same as 1998 up models with the removable bell housing and electronics but fit the Gen I style engines.

This is the trans I used for my Thunderbird swap which came from a 1997 V8 2WD truck. I have been told the input shaft on the Gen III powered trans looks different than this but I don't have a Gen III auto trans to compare. If memory serves me correctly I was told it doesn't have the step down section but I could be mistaken.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: LS2 / 4L60E frustrations