Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 & 1UZ Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 & 1UZ Engines

I'm planning for a swap into my Toyota and I'm putting a V8 in it. I've researched many a time, but I always see Chevy's LS1's and LS6's popping up everywhere, further research says it is voted as Ward's 10 best engines in 98' and has great MPG, no make that amazing MPG, actually. Now for Toyota's 1UZ-FE, it is also a very excellent engine, also making it to Wards 10 best engines in 98' as well. The 1UZ-FE also has great fuel efficiency. I'd like to know what engine would be a great idea on reliability, MPG, power, weight, size, pros and cons. Some discussion and feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.

By the way, I will be working on a 1988 Toyota Celica GT ST162, I may be moving the engine to the middle position as well, while retaining the 4 seats, like the Lotus Evora. But first, I'll probably put the engine at the front and will progress as money lets me.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same boat deciding on a v8 for my toyota pickup. I went LS1 for ease, and expense... as it would have cost more than I wanted to pay to get a stick shift behind it, 1Uz, for my setup. LS1 wiring, IMO, is much more simple... took ~5 days of a lazy hours worth a work a night to wire up my GTO harness and get it fired the first time on the stand.

Custom parts are easier to come by, someone likely has already ran into what ever issue you'll run into w/ an LS1. There's good info on the 1UZ, I just don't think it compares to the plethora of info and forums dedicated to the LS1 and LS engine swaps in general.

Haven't had mine on the road long enough to look at gas mileage... my latest milestone was getting it legally tagged Friday. So now I'm just starting to do real shakedown runs... so far everything is 100%.

I'm not an LSx fan boy, I'm a "whatever is the best solution" fan boy... LSx's are generally the best answer to the question usually.

Last edited by rotor vs. piston; 11-09-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
I was in the same boat deciding on a v8 for my toyota pickup. I went LS1 for ease, and expense... as it would have cost more than I wanted to pay to get a stick shift behind it for my setup. LS1 wiring, IMO, is much more simple... took ~5 days of a lazy hours worth a work a night to wire up my GTO harness and get it fired the first time on the stand.

Custom parts are easier to come by, someone likely has already ran into what ever issue you'll run into w/ an LS1. There's good info on the 1UZ, I just don't think it compares to the plethora of info and forums dedicated to the LS1 and LS engine swaps in general.

Haven't had mine on the road long enough to look at gas mileage... my latest milestone was getting it legally tagged Friday. So no I'm just starting to do real shakedown runs... so far everything is 100%.

I'm not an LSx fan boy, I'm a "whatever is the best solution" fan boy... LSx's are generally the best answer to the question usually.
That's the way I felt initially 'way back in 1997 when I first decided to go LS with my hot rod. Back then there was NOTHING for swap info, tuning, aftermarket parts. As I look back, the LS powerplant has come a long way and the cool thing is that I could transplant the very newest technology into my hot rod now with no real effort.

But...as good as the car runs & works, I think I'll just leave it alone and keep driving/enjoying it as it is (...and has been since I first fired it up many years ago).
Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
I was in the same boat deciding on a v8 for my toyota pickup. I went LS1 for ease, and expense... as it would have cost more than I wanted to pay to get a stick shift behind it, 1Uz, for my setup. LS1 wiring, IMO, is much more simple... took ~5 days of a lazy hours worth a work a night to wire up my GTO harness and get it fired the first time on the stand.

Haven't had mine on the road long enough to look at gas mileage... my latest milestone was getting it legally tagged Friday. So now I'm just starting to do real shakedown runs... so far everything is 100%.

Right. There is more info and forums for the LS1's than 1UZ. After all, not many people are going after 1UZ's, not like the 2JZ. The engine isn't as recognized by many. Although if I take the LS1, I may have to part with brand loyalty. . And it'd be nice to keep the brand. Hmmm. I don't know, but I have 5 years till I start this project and the researching will go on. Like you said, the "whatever is the best solution" is something I may have to go with in the future.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems the cost of the 1UZ would be a bit higher due to the Head/cam/valve design to be modding.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
Seems the cost of the 1UZ would be a bit higher due to the Head/cam/valve design to be modding.
I heard that if I wanted more aggressive cams, that it may deem as not as much of a considerable power increase to an already technologically advanced engine. So that may be where the Head/cam/valve fabrication would be?

Eh, I've called around and have found 1UZ prices at $700-$1000 and LS1's at 5Grand. Maybe if I drive around I'll find both engines at cheaper prices and I can see what condition they're in.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Teching In

I love the 1uz. i had a lexus sc400 with 215k+ and it ran GREAT....BUT when it came time to entertaining the idea of making the car a project car i woulda put an LS into it. a badass 1uz would be cool but your gonna pay big bucks to get 400+whp and a manual trans (if your into it).
Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AzShadow
I love the 1uz. i had a lexus sc400 with 215k+ and it ran GREAT....BUT when it came time to entertaining the idea of making the car a project car i woulda put an LS into it. a badass 1uz would be cool but your gonna pay big bucks to get 400+whp and a manual trans (if your into it).
Big bucks? I know any project car will have big bucks into it but what of the 1UZ?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the same boat as you, I am swapping a motor into my Toyota as well, however my vehicle is a 98' Tacoma 2wd.

I had a monster turbo motor spitting out 23psi of hair riasing terror, well for a 4 cyl that is....

My motor had an issue and well, lets say its sleeping with the fishes. So I want a new motor, but something that will tow 4000# of weight and flat out haul the mail otherwise...

My choice was the 2JZ, I found a setup for a great price however it wont make useable torque in the towing rpm range, then I thought the 1-UZ, but got turned off when I saw how expensive it was to build it right and most of the good stuff is from Australia, EXPENSIVE.

So the obvious choice is the LSX motors, parts are inexpensive, swaps have been done into everything you could imagine, and now I am collecting information on my swap as well, I think I am going with a 2000-02 5.3 truck motor since they seem to be easy to find, but I would really like an LS1 due to the weight difference in my little truck, 100lbs is quite a lot in my case...but it comes down to what I can afford.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Teching In

your gonna have to go FI to get decent numbers. And as we know FI is always pretty expensive. i saw a fully built twin turbo one putting down 480. lotta work for a # you can get NA with an LS. what are your hp numbers your looking to achieve btw?

As speedfreak said there are some stuff out there for them (roots type supercharges and stroker kits) but it is expensive. bang for the buck just isnt there, although i do think it would be cooler to go with the 1uz if $ permits for your hp goals. check out clublexus, decent forum with some knowledge if you didnt already.

Quick Reply: LS1 & 1UZ Engines