Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into a 72 Chevelle Wagon - mounting location

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx into a 72 Chevelle Wagon - mounting location

Anyone using Trans Dapt 4572 motor mount plates or similar? They claim to put the LSx in the same chassis location as the original SBC. I'm wondering if these plates would allow me to mount an LSx at the factory frame mount locations and bolt it up to my TH350 without having to shorten the driveshaft.

If this is the case, would an Fbody pan fit? This is for a 72 Chevelle Wagon. Thanks guys!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure about those plates, but I has to move the frame stands back on the crossmember for the f-body pan to fit in my 69 chevelle.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the web site for those. They are the Standard type of Plates. The plate put the engine mount in a location to mate up with the SBC (350) Frame Stands. But if using a TH350, you will have to move the trans froward about 1" to meet up with the back of the Engine. You can use the 1" setback to have the engine mate up with the TH350 in its stock location and not have to worry about transmission mounts and the drive shaft.

You can use a F-Body pan, it is tight. Use the Early BRP style and mounting method. That is moving the Frame Stand back. Else the F-Body pan will not clear the X-Member. In doing so. the Engine will be back against the firewall with about 1/4" to 3/8" and about the same for the pan to X-Member.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
I looked at the web site for those. They are the Standard type of Plates. The plate put the engine mount in a location to mate up with the SBC (350) Frame Stands. But if using a TH350, you will have to move the trans froward about 1" to meet up with the back of the Engine. You can use the 1" setback to have the engine mate up with the TH350 in its stock location and not have to worry about transmission mounts and the drive shaft.

You can use a F-Body pan, it is tight. Use the Early BRP style and mounting method. That is moving the Frame Stand back. Else the F-Body pan will not clear the X-Member. In doing so. the Engine will be back against the firewall with about 1/4" to 3/8" and about the same for the pan to X-Member.
Thanks for the info! So there aren't any mounting plates out there that mate the LSx to a Gen1 stock location tranny without having to move the frame stands back? I am a bit confused because in your first paragraph you say that a 1 inch setback plate would put it where it needs to be, then you mention that I need to use the "early BRP" style and that involves moving the frame stands back. Are these just two different methods that accomplish the same thing? Maybe I am reading it wrong, but do the BRP mounts require relocation on the frame, or are they set back a bit and use the factory mounting location on the frame?

I definitely want to stick with a factory type pan for cost and reliability reasons. The car is lowered, so the Fbody pan seems like the ticket.... now how to make it fit without having to move the transmission? I guess I wouldn't mind cutting the xmember a bit if need be, but of course would prefer not to.

Last edited by austindub; 11-10-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry to confuse you, Yes, Use the 1" setback plates, which will locate the engine to the stock TH350 trans flange location.

There are two different type of plates. the Standard (and 1" setback), they refer to them as S&P or ATS plates, which many of the manufactor (Hooker, Edelbrock, TransDap, Car Shop, etc) use and then there is the early BRP style of plates.

The templates of the plates can be found in the Sticky. see Post #4 and you can see why the Standard and BRP are differnent in there motor mount locations.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-faqs.html

I only mention the BRP style if you are trying to use a Un-modified F-Body Pan. The Standard or 1" set back will require a notching of the F-Body pan or aftermarket.

With the Early BRP way of conversion, you pertty much bolt on the plates, motor mounts and frame stands together. Drop it in and bolt it to the tramssion that can already be in the car and bolted to the crossmember (or bolted to the engine for a engine/trans drop in).
Mark the location where the frame stands need to be and (remove engine) then just redrill and rebolt the stands where they need to be... or just weld them in.

Just keep asking question..! good luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Teching In

You sir, are a wealth of information. Thank you SO much!

So, if I use standard 1 inch setback plates with factory motor mounts -

The tranny will bolt right up to the motor, put the Fbody pan will hit the x-member and require some trimming to fit (trimming the x-member, not the pan I hope).

If I use BRP style plates and motor mounts -

The tranny will bolt up, but the mount itself will have to be relocated on the frame. The Fbody pan will clear the x-member (I'm assuming because it would sit higher?).

So... what is the best source for BRP style mounts, or should I just go the cheaper route and use 1 inch setback plates and trim the x member? OR, can I use the 1 inch setback plates and use tall/narrow mounts instead of short/wide mounts to lift the engine some? I'm assuming some holes wouldn't line up with that scheme.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes on the 1" setback.. people have done both on notching the pan or the Crossmember. You might look into the RetroLSX or the so to be released MAS oil plans.. I am using the early BRP and a a CTS-V pan myself..

With the BRP you place the engine where you want and that is the bottom line. The un-modified F-Body pan is a very tight fit. but it does go in. I tried it. But I didn't like the close fitting of the pan to the x-member.. I wanted a bit more clearance and air in between. So I went with the CTS-V pan, which gave me a bit more more (cooling).

BRP is no longer marketing the early style, they are now marketing a new complete kit. I was able to duplicate mine with a few hours of work. I used 1/4" plate steel, but i would recommend 3/8" or 1/2". I just used cutting wheels, grinder, files, drill and a tap.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Teching In

You mentioned that the BRP mounts let you mount the engine wherever you want, but in my case there is only one position that would work and still keep the same driveshaft length. I theory, all mounts would allow you to move the engine closer or farther from the firewall as long as you redrill the mounts on the frame.

I'm assuming that the BRP mounts set the engine higher, thus creating more room for the oil pan. If that is the case, couldn't I just use the 1 inch setback plates and raise the stock motor mounts by putting a plate under them and re-drill because the holes would be off at that point? If you have to reposition the BRP mounts on the frame anyway it seems like it would just be cheaper to use shimmed factory-style mounts or go to tall/narrow mounts from short/wide mounts. Is my logic correct?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

If your primary goal is to keep the trans in the stock location, I would get a set of plates (maybe both standard and 1" set back) and see where that puts you. You may have to move the frame stands you may not, but after thats done you will need to figure out which oil pan will now clear the crossmember. The way I apporched it (may not be the best way), was I wanted to use the F-body pan and decided I would make everything fit around it.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bullitt4110
If your primary goal is to keep the trans in the stock location, I would get a set of plates (maybe both standard and 1" set back) and see where that puts you. You may have to move the frame stands you may not, but after thats done you will need to figure out which oil pan will now clear the crossmember. The way I apporched it (may not be the best way), was I wanted to use the F-body pan and decided I would make everything fit around it.
The motor I have came with what looks like Trans Dapt "standard location" plates. I guess when the time comes to mount the motor I will just use these and see where it sits before jumping to conclusions and buying parts I might have to return. I really wanted to have the perfect solution ready to go when the time came, but it looks like this might take some trial and error.

My approach to the swap is pretty much the same - use the Fbody pan due to ground clearance and work around that + have the motor mount to the tranny without having to chop or extend the driveshaft.

For those of you that have notched your engine crossmember, did you have to weld new metal into the part you cut out, or just leave it be?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

The plates alone will not what determines the height the engine will sit ... what will make the engine sit higher or lower is a combination of a few things.. I have found that by mixing and matching you can adjust the height of the engine as needed.

1) Adapter Plate thickness (Usually 1/4" to 1/2")
2) Motor Mounts (s/w 1 3/4" or t/n 2 3/16")
3) Frame Stand (s/w or t/n, arond 2", not sure the different bewteen the two).
4) if your using Energy Suspesion, using or not using the pre-load plate.

Warning, E/S requires it be use of the pre-load plate, but if you using a adapter plates, the plate itself will act as the pre-load plate and you can do away with it.

Some of the frame stand information have been posted here in the forum.

others have turned the plate/mount upside down to adjust it some.

I ended up using a combination of the Tall and Narrow Mounts, no preload plate and modified Short and Narrow Frame stands to get my engine the height I wanted.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

If I am reading your post correctly I don't think you can accomplish your goal. If your goal is: to install the motor so that it sits where the factory motor did (so you can use an early model trans and stock driveshaft) and use the f-body oil pan, without cutting something. I agree with bczee at looking at the retrolsx pan give you the frame clearance of the truck pan but is the same depth as the f-body pan. I am using the "swap pan" and I am a little less than impressed with it due to the height. I used the set back plates and moved my stands back about two inches, this put my passenger side head about 3/4" from the firewall. I was not concerned with the trans/driveshaft location though as I am using a t56. Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

im running the early style brp mounts....welded to my crossmember....im still running my stock th350 and drive shaft....

Old 11-12-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those looks like the later BRP style.. the Early style is just a plate that uses OEM or After market Motor mounts that attach to the OEM style frame mounts..
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

And the later brp mounts are designed around the lh8 pan not the f-body pan.

Quick Reply: LSx into a 72 Chevelle Wagon - mounting location