Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Project near Cincinnati, HELP wanted LOL!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Project near Cincinnati, HELP wanted LOL!

Hey all, I just got ahold of my Dad's old GTA and am having an H/C/I LS1 and 4L60 put together for it. Until the engine is ready to go in I will be working on the interior, body and paint.
I really can use all the help and advice I can get so please feel free to chime in. I own a local Termite and pest control company so would gladly exchange some bug killin for wrench turnin'!
SPITFIRE CUSTOMS is almost done with the original 16 inch honeycombs. They are being powdercoated in silver and gold with plenty of flake. There is a set of Michilin Pilot Sport A/S in the garage waiting on them. The brakes seem to be in working order, I just need to knock off the surface rust. The car was towed here because the starter is out.
Reportedly the L98 still runs well, but I'm sure it has an injector or two down, not that I'm concerned considering it's getting swapped.
The front bumper cover is in need of replacement. Door bushings are in order. The plan is to replace all 4 seats with 98-02 ones and replace the carpet. The rear spoiler also needs to be swapped for a fiberglass one.
I am currently doing a little paint prep and serious sanding begins next week.
Let me know what you think. The wife thanks you! My plans are to finish it in the spring or early summer and have a 10 or 11 second Turd gen. The more help I get the sooner she regains a husband. LOL
Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

I guess good help is hard to find. Anyone know what parts I can go ahead and remove for weight reduction that won't be needed anymore?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

This is alot like talking to myself. Well, anyway, the rear hatch was out of adjustment and I found a page that explained how to fix it. Now it isn't sticking out a quarter inch past where it should. The hood is almost down to metal and the majority of the rest of the sanding is out of the way. I got the L98 started today and quickly decided to turn it off and leave it that way. The LS1 can't get here quick enough! I also plan to remove the door moldings. Will probably result in door dings but I like the cleaned up look.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well.. don't know what to say here.. but this forum seem to target swapping in the Gen III/IV engines in to non-LSx cars.. we can pertty much help give you advise on that.. but to help out on being there physically.. kinda hard from California.. sorry..

As far as weight saving.. you can try removing many little parts in the interior. Bumpers are a area that some weight savings can be fore by removing some bracing and parts. Sound instalation, panels can be lightened but cutting out what you can. Going Fiberglass doors and hood. Plexi glass on the door and hatch. going with Spohn X-member and other parts could save weight as well as upgraded parts. Removing wiring harness that are not needed and attachment parts.

Their are many ways to save weight if your making a track only car. But go to the track and check out what others are doing to save weight.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Bczee. The car will mainly be for pleasure driving on the street but will occassionally go to the track. I appreciate your advice regardless of where you live. It's funny how twenty years ago there was more help than I could buy beer for but then I've been out of the go fast thing for a while and work too much (with bed bugs and all!) to even have time for friends anymore. Now that I'm in up to my neck all of a sudden with this car that I love, it's just nice to have an experienced set of eyes and hands on the project. It'll come when it's needed. Until then expect more questions. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit far of a drive for me but hey maybe I'll see you next year at the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton.

Quick Reply: Big Project near Cincinnati, HELP wanted LOL!