Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1987 Jaguar XJ6 swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 1987 Jaguar XJ6 swap thread

I'm starting an LQ4/4L80E swap on my 1987 Jaguar XJ6. I got the car with 65k original miles, but a locked up engine. The body and interior are nice for 23 years old. I got a deal on a 4L80E from a co-worker. It's a basic rebuild with a TransGo and a Vig 3000 converter. I just picked up a 2004 LQ4 complete with harness, all accessories, pedal, etc. for $1150. I really wanted to cam it, but with having to do springs and all, that's another $500+ I don't want to spend, so we'll see. I may just get it in and running first. There's another swap on here with an XJ6, using an LSx and 4L80E. Dave goes by FastKat, so maybe I'll just go with KopyKat. I did an LT1 into an '89 XJ6 about 5 years ago, but it didn't work out like I wanted, so I was needing a do-over. Here's what I have so far...

Last edited by Earl Filter; 11-28-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

I would at least put an LS1 cam in it. Those truck cams run out of breath pretty early.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by N21923
I would at least put an LS1 cam in it. Those truck cams run out of breath pretty early.
Yeah, I know. I probably will. I have access to an old MTI B1 cam (221/221, .559/.559, 114 LSA) for really cheap. If the truck intake fits under the hood, I'll run it until I can upgrade later. This thing won't see north of 5k rpms much, so I don't think it will hinder it much. Even though it's a 4 door, it only weighs about 200lbs more than an F-body, so it should move out pretty well. My 2.88 gears will hurt until I can upgrade at some point. This is mainly a cruiser anyway.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Teching In

I saw an old jag just the other day and thought it would be a cool car to do a swap with...glad to see your doing it. Nice!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

fun build, there a guy in town doing a jag convertable. I'll keep you posted on his build.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Launching!

With a little help from a friend, the failed heart has been removed. I'm just about ready to pay someone to take the engine/trans. Think I'll get the $100 asking price on craigslist? I just want gas money for delivery!

Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Changed the valve cover gaskets and cleaned it up a bit. That's as far into the engine as I'm going (short of changing the oil pan), as least until it's up and running. After...

Last edited by Earl Filter; 12-12-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by N21923
I'm pretty sure the the LQ4 and late LS1 cams are identical, after taking a look. If anything makes it run out of breath, it's the truck intake, and I don't think that happens until well after 5k rpm. I'm ok with that.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Launching!

I got the truck DBW pedal mounted. It was easy! After removing the factory pedal, I saw that I could reuse a bolt that comes in from the engine compartment to hold the original pedal to hold mine. I drilled a hole in the DBW pedal mount, got a longer bolt, and I had it hanging. Then I used a self-tapping screw for the bottom hole, and there it is. It's not the perfect pedal fit, but it does clear everything and will work fine.

The bolt in the factory hole is the new looking one circled in the middle of the pic towards the top....

I should have painted the pedal arm!

Next up, actually getting the engine/trans in the car. Then the fun begins!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agh, seeing this reminds me of how much trouble I had getting my original Jag pedal out. I had a heck of a time getting to those two bolts!

It looks like that pedal fits great!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That car is in nice shape for a 23 yr old!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FastKat
Agh, seeing this reminds me of how much trouble I had getting my original Jag pedal out. I had a heck of a time getting to those two bolts!

It looks like that pedal fits great!
Yeah, it took longer to get the factory pedal and cables out than to figure out how to hang the new one and do it!

My only issue is that the throttle pedal is about 1/4 or 1/2" closer to the driver than the brake, rather than the other way around. I find that I can manage it fine, but for a big car, the footwell is tight, and the steamboat-sized steering wheel (no tilt) hits my knee when I have the foot touching the gas, but not pressing it. I will probably get a Grant or Momo smaller wheel either before I drive it, or soon after I get it going.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gMAG
That car is in nice shape for a 23 yr old!
Thanks! The paint is better in pics than in person (of course), but it's still very presentable. I can't complaint about the shape of the body and very nice interior for a $1400 car, even knowing it was essentially a roller that I'd have to swap to have a driver. It's weird having a car like this that you've never even driven before. It showed up on a flatbed truck, and we rolled it right into the garage where it sits. Any other engine replacements or swaps, at least I've gotten to drive the car before!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Two steps forward, one back. Got the engine/trans in the car. Found that the truck intake/accessory brackets are in fact just a little too tall. It was close, but no cigar. Going to go LS6 intake, and probably the Kwik bracket. I was planning on using their A/C bracket anyway. Yes, the clutch fan will come off at some point.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM

What are the convertion mount that you got and where did you get them. or did you make them yourself. I am putting a 350 chevy small block in my 1986 xj6 and i having a hard time trying to find a conversion kit.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gearhead350
What are the convertion mount that you got and where did you get them. or did you make them yourself. I am putting a 350 chevy small block in my 1986 xj6 and i having a hard time trying to find a conversion kit.
jagsthatrun.com

You can also check with Andrew at jaguarspecialties.com. I know when I talked to the guy as Suncoast, he had just had a major medical issue (months ago), and I never heard back.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Jagsthatrun.com sells a book on how to convert an XJ6 or XJS to the older style Chevy 350. There's motor mount plans in that book I'd best describe as 'crude but effective'

If you are using a LS motor, Andrew at Jaguar Specialties is the only place I know that sells the LS motor mount for the Jags. He also sells the mounts for the older stuff too
Old 03-09-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started with the Suncoast kit and used a set of LS1 adapter plates, which are available from a variety of vendors. If you are going to put in an LT1 or older engine, I would definitely recommend the Suncoast kit. Andrew sells both the Suncoast kit and an LS1 kit.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Jaguar V8 Conversion Kits and Parts

Hi

If you're looking for Jag V8 conversion parts (kits and related parts), I can probably help. Our website has the largest group of parts you'll find for these swaps, and we support all Chevy V8's from small blocks up through the latest LS engines. These are the best engineered, best fitting, and best supported pieces you will find. Everything bolts in with no mods to the car or the engine/trans.

Here's our website:

www.JaguarSpecialties.com

To start off, click on the "V8 Conversion, All Models" tab on the left...

And for the LS engines we have a special kit and parts into these models and the XJS coupes and converts. Unlike most other LS swaps, we can use all of the stock accessory drive pieces (including AC) and we also use stock GM high flow cast iron manifolds (no custom headers required). These make for a more reasonable cost for your conversion and a more reliable car. And of course it's easier to put together....

On the front page of our website is a Youtube video of one of our customers running a 12sec quarter mile in a (stock) LS1 powered Jag sedan very much like Brandon's car here. This one was built using our kit and parts- came out beautiful. Have a look- the car is on the front page and the video is at the bottom.

www.JaguarSpecialties.com (scroll down to see the video)

And feel free to Email or call me for more info

Andrew

andrew@jaguarspecialties.com

408 839 5569

Last edited by the-jag-guy; 03-09-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Looks like an awesome project! Jags are sweet, and the body on that one looks like it's in really good shame. It'll be cool to have an old Jag with that insane sound coming out of it.

Quick Reply: My 1987 Jaguar XJ6 swap thread