Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few Noob LY6 questions that i cant answer with the search

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Noob LY6 questions that i cant answer with the search

I am looking to build a Ly6 engine and just want a few specific answers...

1: Is there any supercharger setup for these that use the m112 or 122 that bolts to the l92 heads?
I am trying to figure out if it is best to spend 2k on intake/head porting or to bolt on a blower.

2: Can I use my '95 4l60e?
2a: If no, and i fit a 6l90 will the pcm control or will i have to get a controller?
i have a built 95 4l60e now, but i can sell it for the same as what a 6l90e costs.

3: On a NA stock bottom end, is there gain to a FAST ls3 intake (and which one is the best for this) or should I mainly focus on the best port job on the l92's. Just trying to build a good setup, but not trying to waste money either.

i have a few other questions that naturally i am drawing a blank to now.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crispix396
I am looking to build a Ly6 engine and just want a few specific answers...

1: Is there any supercharger setup for these that use the m112 or 122 that bolts to the l92 heads?
I am trying to figure out if it is best to spend 2k on intake/head porting or to bolt on a blower.

The LS3 intake bolts on, so an LS3 blower should, but you might have to ditch vvt and get ls3 acc's.

2: Can I use my '95 4l60e?
2a: If no, and i fit a 6l90 will the pcm control or will i have to get a controller?
i have a built 95 4l60e now, but i can sell it for the same as what a 6l90e costs.

Probably not. If the motor, tcm, E38 came with 6L90e it should be able to control it. If not, it may be able to be reprogrammed to control the 6l90. Many LY6 came with 4L80e, like mine and it could be a good, cheaper option compared to the 6L90. Today, a 6L90 is worth far more than a built 4L60. But you could get a compatible 4L80 for maybe closer to what your trans is worth.

3: On a NA stock bottom end, is there gain to a FAST ls3 intake (and which one is the best for this) or should I mainly focus on the best port job on the l92's. Just trying to build a good setup, but not trying to waste money either.

Fast 102 maybe 20hp over ls3. Not great bang for buck.

i have a few other questions that naturally i am drawing a blank to now.
I assume you're doing cam springs and are reading up on VVT vs non-VVT debate.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. im not sure.. id bolt on a blower and cam.. more power to be had. better yet do a turbo..

2.yes u can use any chevy bolt transmission, for that one id beef it up,, and have to run a manual valve body..unless they sell a controler for that seperatly.. the ly6 computor will not control that..

2a.id buy the 6l90e in there and be done with it... less hassle.. and nicer trans in my opinion..

3.ls3 intake. or fast is here on searches.. or google.. id search that .. . porting is always nice..

if u stick n/a iv read people on here maxing out at 600hp at the crank.. seems to be top limit.. for a 6.0 n/a l92 heads.. average id say is 520-560hp? at the crank..

doing a boosted setup .is really how much ur botom end will take.. how much money u got. .average for boosted is 500-6?? to the wheels. .

im debating on weather to do n/a set up or turbo.. turbo is going to make more power.. but i do like the rumble of a big cam..its in a chevelle.. i have a ly6.. if im going to do n/a set up.. im shavin the heads.. and puting bigger cam in it. thats it.. shoud be good for 520 h.p..at the crank. or a bit more. . turbo set up. mpt76 mm id better gett no less than 600 to the wheels..
Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Futureuser - yes, cam springs, rockers non VVT (if thats a good option). I want more lift than the VVT is allowing at this time, but honestly even that is still open for debate in my mind.. if i can do one of the following 3 and keep vvt and still make great power, i will cross that bridge then.

In that regards, i am trying to plan cost/gain of doing :
a: .030 over bore, new pistons, rods / top end upgrades
b: stock bottom end, top end upgrades - keep extra money in pocket
c: blower - which is hard since i cant find any reference to a blower on l92 heads besides a procharger. id rather go m122 and not have to do intake.

if the cost/gains of each one relative, then naturally i would go with the one most reliable and best gains.

chevellepowered
1: id rather a blower, a: i dont have to have an intake, b: i just really like the instant power of a supercharger.. but when you are talking about 500whp without it, i think i could wait that 1-2 seconds before the real power kicks in.

2: I have a built 4l60.. so im just weighing the dif between a build 4l60 vs stock 6l90.

3: I did the search, just not clear how much is to gain by spending that exdta 1400. ported l92's is a guaranteed.

I have read the stock rods are good to 600hp while crank is good to 1000. so if i am getting close to that 600 mark, i will swap rods.

any other input is greatly appreciated. I have friends with LS engines with bolt on m112's like the silverado ss had, but no mention of them or anyhting available for l92 heads.

Quick Reply: Few Noob LY6 questions that i cant answer with the search