Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L99 LS3 tensioner pulley dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default L99 LS3 tensioner pulley dimensions?

Posted this in the 4th Gen External Engine sub-forum, but got no answers so I thought I'd throw it in here too...

Would anybody be able to give me some rough dimensions for the new Camaro LS3 tensioner pulley mounted to the waterpump?

The more specific the dimensions the better (for turbo mockup clearance check) but the ones I'm really interested in are:

1) How far forward the front of the pulley sits off of its mounting face on the waterpump

2) How high up & side-to-side location of the pulley's axle relative to the mounting holes

3) Pulley diameter? (this one is just me being lazy, I'm sure a search could answer easily)

I have an LQ4 pulley that this one will be replacing, so I imagine the overall size would be similar to the LQ4 tensioner pulley, just 1.5" closer to the waterpump, but I would just like to confirm...

Cheers!
Joe
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Good timing. My L99 tensioner just showed up at the stealership after being on national backorder for weeks. After I pick it up, I'll take dimensions and snap some pictures for you. I'm not sure if it's the same as what's used on the LS3 - as you discovered the waterpumps are in fact different.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I definitely learned that about the waterpump, but from what I can tell looking at Google pics, it appears that the difference between the two waterpumps is the length of the snouts/passages from the pump back to the block, the rest of the pump body/pulley/mounting holes/general features, look identical as far as I can tell.

These are the dimensions I'd much appreciate having....

Attached Thumbnails L99 LS3 tensioner pulley dimensions?-tensioner-pulley_dimensions-needed.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

I picked it up at lunch and I'll get some dims to you either tonight or this weekend. In your diagram, dimension X is the same as my LY6. First impression is the pulley is larger dia than the one on my LY6. Do you want the Y dimension with the tensionor in the with-belt position? Without a belt it's up against a roll pin stop.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, so many options! Without a belt would be fine, so that I know the maximum envelop it could occupy, but if you did feel like throwing a belt on it, that dimension would be awesome too!!

Thanks!
Joe
Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by frojoe
Using a tape and my calibrated eye:
Y 2-1/2in
Dia 3-7/8in
Z 1-1/2in
X 3-1/8in

FWIW the LY6 pulley is only 3-1/8in dia. and Y is about 2in

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 12-19-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

FYI I decided to try swapping the pulleys and found the smaller diameter LY6 tensioner pulley will fit on the L99 tensioner. It looks a little nicer and seems to line up the same. The larger L99 tensioner will not fit on the LY6 tensioner though. The L99 pulley flanges are larger and rub on the LY6 tensioner housing.

I am not sure if your LQ4 tensioner pulley will work on the L99/LS3 tensioner, but give it a shot if you need to conserve space.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 12-19-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet thanks so much for the measurements.

I ended up making a cardboard mockup of my LQ4 tensioner pulley (3 1/8" pulley dia.) but with it just sucked 1.5" closer to the waterpump, then designed my turbo piping around that. There ended up being a TON of clearance all around the tensioner pulley, but I will still double check your measurements to my rough cardboard mockup.

Thanks again man, it's much appreciated
-Joe
Old 08-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bandit,
Do you recall the part number for the L99 tensioner?
Thanks!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I picked it up at lunch and I'll get some dims to you either tonight or this weekend. In your diagram, dimension X is the same as my LY6. First impression is the pulley is larger dia than the one on my LY6. Do you want the Y dimension with the tensionor in the with-belt position? Without a belt it's up against a roll pin stop.

Quick Reply: L99 LS3 tensioner pulley dimensions?